Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Chloster91

Any Moose Sightings?

Hey i was just wondering if anyone has spotted any moose in the adirondacks and where.
Chloster91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Use the Search function in the forum with "moose sighting" or "Moose" as the subject. You'll find a multiple of posts.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
ADKHUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloster91 View Post
Hey i was just wondering if anyone has spotted any moose in the adirondacks and where.
I heard one bellowing in the Minerva stream swamp not far from my camp a few summers back. Couldn't have been a cow since there aren't any nearby.
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
AdRegion
TourPro

Last week a moose cow was spotted by my buddy in Saranac, just south of Brushy Knob on Lyon Mt.
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
samantha

Last Summer my neighbors on Piercefield Flow just outside of Tupper Lake saw probably the same moose over the course of 2 or 3 days wander across my property. Unfortunately I was not home either time.
samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
don509

Suburban Moose

This week I heard several traffic reports that told of a car that had struck a moose on the Merrit Parkway in New Caanan, CT., which is in Fairfield County about 45 miles outside Manhattan. Seems pretty unlikely, though there are a large number of deer down this way. Anyone here any confirmation or rebuttal of this report?
Don
don509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #7
don509

For clarity...

The several traffic reports of the accident with the moose were all during the same single afternoon.
don509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
chazylaker

moose yearling

i was driving with the family yesterday and I am convinced we saw a moose yearling on Ore Bend road south of Redford. My wike thinks it was a deer, but I am sure it was a moose yearling. It had long lanky legs and when we approached it clumsily was looking to get off the road. A deer would bound off the road in 2 bounces.
chazylaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
sideshow

Look here for mooses...

http://www.snowyinn.com/page3.htm
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
bbowen
Moose Photographer

I saw one in Northern Franklin County a few day ago. Male with a small rack.

Here's a pic I took:

Moose Photo

Last edited by Mavs00; 09-03-2007 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: fixed image link
bbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:09 AM   #11
Boreal Chickadee

Chubb River last week.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #12
neighborm

Moose sightings

On Sucker Brook Trail, 9/1/07, saw multiple moose droppings on trail. No moose, unfortunately. Saw some bear scat, too.
neighborm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've seen moose tracks in the High Peaks, on the trail into Flowed Lands from the south, in the recently cut area- saw tracks there last fall. I also saw tracks this summer in the Sentinel Range Wilderness, along the trail up into North Notch.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #14
BackcountryBob

I've seen moose tracks, last week between Deep Lake and Brooktrout Lake, a few years ago at South Lake, and heard bellowing one night at Cedar Lakes.
(All in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness area).
I'm still waiting to see one, though.
"In order to be able to survive in this epoch of depersonalization, concrete deserts, and the alienation brought about by being harnessed into the crazy machinery of manufacturing and administration, I need the mountains as an alternative world."
- Reinhold Messner
BackcountryBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #15
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

Moose on the loose shot in Burlington VT

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...709260313/1009
DEEPFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #16
wildbrookies

They should`ve tried to evacuate the area giving the moose room to settle down and then maybe the tranquilizer(s) might`ve been the way to go..but, I was`nt there to see how the irritated moose was acting...I guess they can get quite irrate ,especially during their rut... still pretty sad for the death of such a young moose..

Wb
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:38 AM   #17
Boreal Chickadee

Last week I paddled into Duck Hole and beyond. On the portage out I came across a very nice moose track in the trail.

The weekend before moose tracks in the Moose River Plains. But the only live moose I've seen in the Adirrondacks was about 5 iles in on the Chubb River. Maine, now that's a different story. Used to spend two weeks every year in Baxter and I'd see them almost every day. Bears too along the lake shores while out paddling. Or just stay up at night and wait for them to come to you.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:02 AM   #18
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

I came accross Moose tracks North of Duck Hole on the Northville Placid Trail on 9/16.
The tracks were big, deep and in fresh mud directly on the trail. The moose walked the trail for about 2/3 of a mile.
We checked out a few old beaver ponds off trail and again saw plenty of moose tracks but never saw any moose. I also searched for moose scat but couldn't find any.
We were a group of 3 and somewhat loud, so I'm confident if I was to do some early morning still stalking near those ponds I would see a moose.
DEEPFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #19
jan

According to the Glens Falls Post Star newspaper, there was a moose in the parking lot of the Aviation Mall yesterday. Go figure. I can spend days wandering the woods and never see one, while some lucky devils see one while shopping.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 AM   #20
dmartenvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
They should`ve tried to evacuate the area giving the moose room to settle down and then maybe the tranquilizer(s) might`ve been the way to go..but, I was`nt there to see how the irritated moose was acting...I guess they can get quite irrate ,especially during their rut... still pretty sad for the death of such a young moose..

Wb
Unfortunately for the moose, it wasn't irate at all. There are pretty credible reports (by a veterinary student) that they were going to tranquilize it until they found they didn't have enough tranquilizer with them, so they decided to shoot it instead. No attempt was made to secure the area from onlookers and give the moose some space. I'm sure it was somewhat agitated, because the game wardens were walking all around it and approaching it very closely rather than giving it a wide berth and trying to secure the area. Many of the residents (including myself) are not pleased with the response. I understand how dangerous moose can be in this season, as well as the difficulty in a half tranquilized, hot moose; but I don't believe this moose was acting agitated or unpredictably or was an imminent threat. As a matter of fact he seemed to be behaving admirably as he was approached (from the video available).

I have written to the state asking for a review of their standard protocols and a corrective action plan, which is a routine part of emergency response, and many people have filed complaints and called the state. One can only hope that future responses are at least more considered than this one seemed to be.

On a happier note, my September bear returned and marked up more of my cedars. I've come to look forward to (his/her) visits. This time he left the outhouse and the toilet paper alone (thank you growly).
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote