Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Rock

Largest trout ever seen or caught?

My uncle and I have had a contest going for years, who can catch the largest trout out of a stream.

So far he is kicking my butt!

He has caught three 20 plus inch trout out of the Ausable, the largest was a 23 and a half inch rainbow.

I caught a 19 inch brown out of the Sacandaga River and a 19 inch rainbow out of the Ausable. I have not broken the 20 inch mark yet.

I have caught 20 plus inch trout out of the ice but he wont count those, because he doesn’t ice fish and its not a stream.

Just curious to know what size trout others have seen or caught?

I don't think trout fishermen realize how big some of these trout can get, its amazing!

Last edited by Rock; 05-31-2007 at 11:24 PM..
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Buckethead

For the adirondacks, the largest I have caught is 18" Rainbow in the Saranac River

Back home in the Niagara River the largest non-salmon fish I have caught was a 24 lb laker, from shore.
Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
St.Regis

I caught a 32", 10 3/4 lb. laker out of _________ (in the ADK).

I caught a 21" brook trout (guessing 4 to 4 1/2 lb.) out of _________ (also in the ADK). Released it. I caught many other big brookies up to 19 1/2 " too.

Caught several big rainbows up to 24" on ____________ (again in the ADK).

They're here. Just have to find them.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Rock

It took me my whole life to catch two fish that were 19", both times I did not expect them, one of the times I didnít even have a net and almost lost it.

My uncle on the other hand practically lives in the streams and can put the time in to catch these monsters. He is also very lucky and a good fishermen.

As soon as I get my digital camera this summer I will post pictures of my fish and my uncle's, he had the one monster mounted.

I know the Ausable has some really huge trout in it, I have seen people loose what they call breeders, which can range anywhere from 20" and up.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
sandcreek

What did you use to catch the Sacandaga River fish, if you don't mind telling?
sandcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcreek View Post

A 3' leader off a swivel with gold spoons, red beads and half a worm. (The fat dark half threaded on a # 6 hook).
Old 06-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

Quote:
Hey Sandcreek, where do you fish on the sac, and as you would say, "If you dont mind telling?"
Old 06-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

The largest I have caught is a twenty two inch Brook trout and a twenty inch, I have reproductoins made of them,
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold River Bob View Post
The largest I have caught is a twenty two inch Brook trout and a twenty inch, I have reproductoins made of them,
Holy crap, that’s awesome!!

I have a buddy who caught a 20" Brook trout out of the Jesup River.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
sandcreek

Thanks for the info Ugly...

Southern,

I really have only had consistent success in a boat on the great sacandaga for smallies and have only recently ventured out into the river for trout, really hit or miss (more miss lately) so I'm trying to pick some brains of others to make my trips more successful

any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #11
wildbrookies

Well, o.k..here goes ...if you`re only counting stream trout..I was fortunate enough to hook and land a 25 1/4" brown trout from a medium sized stream ..but ,it was back when I was l wormfishing and I still practiced catch and release then ...and I was lucky enough to haul in a 24" Rainbow last Oct. 06` that also went back, like all my trout of any size ...and this year near the same spot...I caught her smaller brother that went around 22"`s ...thats it for the really big trout...but, my brotherMarzrw, and I have been real fortunate to keep finding honey holes that are producing trout from 14-18" or 19" ...he just caught a nice one the other night ...see my old thread "Memorial Day Trout"...

And...if steelhead count , I`ve caught numerous steelies from 22" - 28"`s and a 31" 9 pound hen being my personal best...but, as for brookies...my biggest is only a 16" male from an Adk. stream..

Wb
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #12
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

These were caught in the Cold on Dragonfly nymphs, Thats why I'm spending as a much time as I can in there, If the dam goes it will ruin the fishing.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #13
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

All the brookies I've saw- weren't big enough.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #14
Rock

Caught a nice 18" rainbow on Monday in the Ausable and had a leech stuck to my ankle!

That really sucked.

Literally!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #15
Trout Bum

Im planning a trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
For the adirondacks, the largest I have caught is 18" Rainbow in the Saranac River

Back home in the Niagara River the largest non-salmon fish I have caught was a 24 lb laker, from shore.
Im planning a trip to the upper Saranac. Ive done some research, but from someone who has been there what should I expect, or have on hand...I'm a fly fisherman....any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #16
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

Quote:
Thanks for the info Ugly...

Southern,

I really have only had consistent success in a boat on the great sacandaga for smallies and have only recently ventured out into the river for trout, really hit or miss (more miss lately) so I'm trying to pick some brains of others to make my trips more successful

any thoughts?
You could try fishing the confluence of where the sac and east stony creek dump into the beginning reaches of the G.S.L. I've had success there in the past. Make sure you got a boat to do it.
As for the river, its really a hit or miss situation. When the stocking is brought into river, its great. But during the dry seasons, or when the river is running fast, from my experience, it hasnt been good.
Head into the backcountry for some real fishing. Bennet lake offers good size brown trout, and its right in the area.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #17
sandcreek

thanks for the suggesstions.

do you really catch trout at the confluence between the sac riv, and e. stony meeting? I always though it was too shallow, open, and warm...
I'll check it all out next weekend.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #18
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

Quote:
thanks for the suggesstions.

do you really catch trout at the confluence between the sac riv, and e. stony meeting? I always though it was too shallow, open, and warm...
I'll check it all out next weekend.
Yes I have. In less than a week after the stockings in both rivers, I have had big success in there. During the summer it's probably not the best option in reference to what you have just said.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #19
wrh

I'll jump in. IMO large fish are relative to the water that they come in. A 12 incher in a small stream may be a hell of a fish and a 24 incher in a GL trib is a small fish. I think one needs to keep in mind the water and what is typical. I like catching large fish as well as the next guy but the quality of the fishing is at this point in my life more important. By quality I mean the setting ( elbow to elbow casting to stocked fish or fishing for wild fish), the day ( has it been a relaxing day or is something making it a sucky day), the company if any ( out with good friends, solo or with my son) , how the fish was caught (dry flies, nymphs, streamer etc. I like each but I'm more likely to catch a big fish on a streamer than a dry), how hard of a fish it was to get ( was the drift hard to fish well, was it selective or was it all easy as I like each in it's own way). There are many other varaibles that make it for me.
wrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #20
chaser
pond jockey

I like candy. Especially Smarties.