Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Redoak

Smelt Fishing Champlain

It was nice to finally get out to the great fishing villages on Champlain caught 5lbs of smelt and traded 2lbs of smelt for 1lbs perch fellets. We had a meal fit for a king. Nothing like it during the winter! But I have to admit spring thaw and ice out trout are on my mind.
Redoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
St.Regis

That's very cool. Smelt and perch are delicious. I've only used dip nets in the Finger Lakes and Ontario, so I know nothing about smelt fishing. I'm assuming you have to use light line with little hooks and tiny bait, but really have no idea.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
Redoak

Champlain Smet fishing

Smelt fishing in Lake Champlain is a bit of an art form. You may have all the right gear. But that doesn't mean you will be successful. It takes a certain feel or touch that only can come with experience. Once you have that that touch, and the smelt our cooperating you can fill a five gallon bucket in a day. If you ever want to fish smelt on Lake Champlain in Port Henry area get hold of Norm's Bait and Tackle
Redoak is offline   Reply With Quote