Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Man tells police he has lived in woods for past 20 years

HORICON -- Buried in the thick woods of northern Warren County, 2 miles from the nearest road, was a testament to human adaptability.

A tarp-covered lean-to loaded with clothing,

sleeping bags and provisions — items believed to have been stolen from seasonal homes around the Brant Lake region — was his residence, at least for the last several months.

The man police believe endured the elements of the Adirondacks in a pine-branch shelter was Alan G. Como, 56, whose last known address was

in Massachusetts, police said. He told police he’d lived in the woods for the past 20 years.

The rest:

http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...6530565548.txt
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Lets not get carried away and romanticize this guy. Like I said on another forum, if his skills were so good, why did he have to steal to survive? if he was so rugged, why did he steal a bike to get around? if he was so smart, why was he riding a bike in the snow so the police could track him?

What we have is a homeless person who chose the woods rather then civilization. rather then get what he needed to survive from the agencies that help people, he chose to steal what he needed.

So far one paper has called him a "hermit" and another has called him a "bushman". that's a slur to men like Noah John and French Louie as well as the aboriginal people of Oz and some indigenous people from Africa.

The man is a common thief. Plain and simple.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
sacco
no soup for you

what redhawk said
Old 01-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I did not intend to romanticize him. I was only posting the article. My apologies.
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I did not intend to romanticize him. I was only posting the article. My apologies.
No need for apologies, I didn't think YOU were romanticizing him. On the other thread a couple of people thought he was "cool". I was just trying to set the tone early.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
TEG

Quote:
Only items needed for survival — clothes, sleeping bags, food and batteries — were taken during the burglaries, with the thief leaving behind valuables like jewelry and electronics, the sheriff said.

Quote:
Redhawk:The man is a common thief. Plain and simple.
That's not very common.

Fine the guy, return the gear they know is stolen and leave 'im alone.

Photo Album
TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
That's not very common.

Regardless if its common or not, the man broke into multiple houses, stole other peoples belongings, and used it for his own benefit. He stole peoples stuff, trespassed on thier property, and needs to be held accountable and prosecuted for his actions.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
redhawk

Quote:
That's not very common.

Think about what you just said, "fine the guy". I don't know about you, but my guess would be that he doesn't have any money to pay a fine. Any other ideas?

Well then lets free all the people who steal food (only) because they can't afford it. Same with clothes.

Hmm, lets clear out the jails of all those who may be justified. Acquit anyone charged with murder if they were abused or are odd" or "eccentric" or "different"

It is simple. he's a thief. Doesn't make any difference what he did or didn't steal. the mans a thief, by definition and by law.

Maybe there is mental or emotional illness, it certainly seems so, and if that's the case get him some help. In the meantime if you think about it, he's better off locked up if he didn't have a warm shelter and the means to survive without stealing. If he had he wouldn't have stolen would he?

A thief is a thief, there aren't exceptions, regardless of the hardship or the reason, it's theft. There isn't any provision in the law that says that it's not theft if you leave certain items or only take certain items.

There are agencies that one can go to and help that people can get, all they have to do is ask. I happen to know that because I'm one of the poor people that has to ask for and get some of that help in order to get by.

I happen to be pretty comfortable and get by well, and I can even help others now and then, but I don't have to steal or violate someones property to do so.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #9
TEG

Quote:
redhawkWell then lets free all the people who steal food (only) because they can't afford it. Same with clothes.
you said it boss

Photo Album
Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

This is a photo of the guy who was apprehended.
Alan Como, 56
Police quote-"Big and muscular with little fat on his body, police said he is in remarkably good shape for someone his age who has apparently lived in the woods for at least several years.

I've done my share of camping & backpacking solo and for some reason I feel a lot better knowing I wonl't be running into this guy in the woods at 3am.

But....the next time I awake in my tent/shelter from the sound of something??? oh that should be fun now, knowing that there could be someone out there.
I almost wish I didn't read this post.---lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Como.jpg (12.7 KB, 209 views)
DEEPFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:42 AM   #11
redhawk

Quote:
you said it boss
You don't get it do you? You can't pick and choose. If you are going to make exceptions for one set of circumstances and not for others. It becomes a real can of worms.

If you say it's OK to steal because you're poor and don't have this, then many people will choose to steal. The others will take steps to protect themselves and we will have a society based on vigilantism.

The irony is, this mans story is pretty simple and staight forward.

Your proposed solution is what would complicate things.

Like it or not, we need to live under the rule of law. Without it, we have anarchy and then only the strong will survive.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:49 AM   #12
hikercop45
fat old hiker of the woods

This nit wit burglarized and stole from people - he DOES NOT deserve to be fined and released - why not let him come to your home town - take your possessions and eat your food - then lets see what your opinion is - the moron should go to jail - do not pass go - do not collect 200 dollars
Noah John and French Louie were indeed unique folks - but they were true mountain folk - maybe a few jacked deer here and there - but they never came into your home and took things as they pleased...
I go to the woods to get away from folks like this person - I am a Police Officer - and proud to be - but I need to get away from the riff raff on occasion - and when I go to the woods - I dont want to have to be on guard .....it's a damn shame.......
There are programs to help homeless folks and folks that want to be helped - it sounds like this gent is just a mutt who would rather steal than work or at least try to be honest.......
hikercop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

The trail to Pharaoh Lake from Beaver Pond Road is the one I use quite a bit. Ironically, my party and I had a man approach our lean-to on Pharaoh Lake (2.5 miles or so from Como's camp) at probably one or two AM one fall night. It was not this man, thankfully, but it's still kind of creepy to think that it could have been. While his story might be a bit fascinating, it is only because he put a different spin on burglary (or at least a method not seen in some time in the Adks). He is a criminal and should be treated as such. I for one am offended that this criminal was living right near my favorite trail. I wonder what else is on this guy's record.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
TEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
You don't get it do you? You can't pick and choose. If you are going to make exceptions for one set of circumstances and not for others. It becomes a real can of worms.

If you say it's OK to steal because you're poor and don't have this, then many people will choose to steal.
And many people do choose to steal

Quote:
The irony is, this mans story is pretty simple and staight forward.

Your proposed solution is what would complicate things.

My proposed solution? I only provided the idea of a fine, which for obvious reasons was a foolish idea. That wont work? Ok, well hows six months in state? Good behavior he gets out early and has a couple hundred hours of community service. And then... and then.. we can leave him alone. You act like you know this cat.

And I'd appreciate it if you'd chill out while replying to my posts, boss!

Photo Album
Old 01-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Hobbitling
spring fever

Well TEG, maybe you should start a "sponser a hermit" program. For just a few cents a day you could provide a needy hermit with essential survivial gear. I'm sure if you just contact this guy he'll be more than happy to accept your charity, its not like he's antisocial or anything
Old 01-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #16
TEG

HAHA!

Hobbits got it! Screw it, I'll move out there with 'im!

Rickie was telling me about the mayor of cold river or some such "hermit". Although that sounded a little more innocent compared to the "murderous and dangerous thief!"

Photo Album
Old 01-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #17
TheNatrix

"I've done my share of camping & backpacking solo and for some reason I feel a lot better knowing I wonl't be running into this guy in the woods at 3am."

Eh, I've run in to many people in the woods who look a bit more intimidating than this guy. Just a few days on the trails and I look pretty mangy myself. Regardless, I too am pleased that this man, who has a criminal record, has been apprehended.
TheNatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #18
Neil
Kayak-46

I try to imagine living under a plastic tarp like that for months. Sneaking around and entering people's homes when they're not there, going through their stuff and making off with it.

Getting food must have been tricky. Did he steal any money? Imagine showing up at the cash register wearing someone's coat you stole and having it recognized. Then I wonder what the guy did all day for the past few months (let alone past 20 years). I think I would go crazy with boredom. Does he have an interesting story to tell or is he, as I suspect, a degenerate with nothing to say, nothing to explain? Just spending his days staring blankly at the roof of his shelter.

(TEG: if you want to give Hawk a nice present for his birthday get into an on-line fencing match with him over this issue.)
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
redhawk

Quote:
And many people do choose to steal

My proposed solution? I only provided the idea of a fine, which for obvious reasons was a foolish idea. That wont work? OK, well hows six months in state? Good behavior he gets out early and has a couple hundred hours of community service. And then... and then.. we can leave him alone. You act like you know this cat.

And I'd appreciate it if you'd chill out while replying to my posts, boss!
I am only replying to your posts, the way I reply to anyone else, frankly but with no disrespect. Opinions are funny things, when you post them, people often reply, and with different opinions. That's the price you pay for offering yours, and the same goes for me.

And addressing me as "boss" may even cause me to be a little more caustic in my replies. In other words, if you can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.

From what I see from your post here, and what you have posted in the past, you and I are mostly on the same page philosophically. This guy probably does have some kind of emotional illness and if so can be treated. He can be "put into the system" (not always the greatest thing, but at least there are choices).

In the meantime, he has committed crimes, and like everyone else, should have to pay for them. By ding what he did, if homeless, he has given all those people who think being homeless is a sin, an opportunity to point a finger and say "See, we told you so". he has done no one any favors but himself. He stole a bike, show me that on the list of survival needs and justify that.

Being referred to as a "hermit" by the news media, or here gives "hermits" a bad name.

So, if you wish to advocate for the poor, or the emotionally ill (if that's his case), then choose your ground carefully, because this particular case cannot help the cause.

Which happens to be the reason I replied to this case as I did.

Hawk

Last edited by redhawk; 01-15-2007 at 01:48 PM..
Old 01-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #20
redhawk

Quote:
HAHA!

Hobbits got it! Screw it, I'll move out there with 'im!

Rickie was telling me about the mayor of cold river or some such "hermit". Although that sounded a little more innocent compared to the "murderous and dangerous thief!"
Like Night and Day. Noah John Rondeau, aka"The Mayor of Cold River", aka "Adirondack Hermit" was a well respected albeit eccentric individual. He poached a deer now and then, but never broke into peoples homes or stole things.

My biggest fear is that anyone would put this man in the same class as "Noey", who is a beloved part of Adirondack Folklore.

And don't put words into peoples mouth. No one called this guy "murderous". He's simply a thief. However, the thought of running into him in the woods or having him steal from your cabin, or maybe tent probably makes people uncomfortable. Which makes it even tougher for those indigents who might choose to go to the woods and not steal.