Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Chickadee

Boots for winter hikes and snowshoeing

Greetings.....i have been looking into several different boots for hiking and snowshoeing in the winter.....what do ya'll think about Raichle, Limmer, and Asolos..??? thanks... looking for a boot i can wear in snowshoes and then hike with in the winter...
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Tuchov
Pirate

I prefer the Merrell "Continuum" line. They go a few inches over the ankle (which isn't a lot in winter but if you're snowshoeing it'll suffice) and has a solid rubber body, no seams or anything for water to leak through. Good cushion on the inside, and excellent traction on the bottom. I've been using them for 2 years now (Fall, winter, and early spring) and they still look/feel like new.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
cbrown7

Merrell specializes in comfort. I tried a pair on and it was like putting on comfortable running shoes.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
Chickadee

i was hoping to buy a boot that was a seamless one piece leather boot.....thanks again...-Ryan
Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
serotonin
Hang on to Mary's stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
...a seamless one piece leather boot.....
I am very pleased with a pair of Alico boots that I've had for about 10 years.
The "Alpinist" model http://www.alicosport.it/TREKKING%20BOOTS.htm is practically the very same boot. They take a while to break-in, but as they say... they are bomb-proof.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
AdRegion
TourPro

My summer boots are also my winter boots, with a much heavier pair of gaiters. They are a pair of really sweet Fabiano Scarpas about 10 years old. Really depends on my trip, if I'm ski camping I stay in my backcountry XC boots. Both pair work with snowshoes or crampons.

Warm, dry socks are a must. A pair of disposable handwarmers thrown in the boots to "thaw" the toes helps a lot in the morning - unless I've been sleeping with them.
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
Dick
somewhere out there...

I own these.

I'm also a fan of these.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
Chickadee

i am very interested in the alico boots but i can not seem to find a source to buy them anywhere..(the one at sierra trading post does not have my size)..any help...and the north face boots look interesting...thanks...
Old 12-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Hobbitling
spring fever

I use sorrel boots. they have a practically indestructable leather/rubber outer boot with replaceable insulating liners, since that is usually the thing that wears out first. plus on a camping trip you can carry an extra pair of dry liners. its like having a spare pair of boots rolled up in your pack.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #10
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

I along with Dick own the Northface Baltoro 400 boot and I feel it is a great snowshoe boot because of it's good flexability, warmth and price.
I use them with snowshoes then switch to crampons at tree line to summit.
They're not as ridgid as other boots but thats what you want for snowshoeing something like a "packboot"
My crampons do fit the boot, but I would recommend bringing your crampons to the store before buying any new boot.
DEEPFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #11
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Put another check mark in the NF Baltoro 400 column. Last winter I picked up a pair at EMS at a price that was just too good to pass on. If memory serves I paid about $75 - 80 for them during one of EMS's sales.

They're bordering on the side of narrow for me, but my feet haven't ever been known for being average in any regard. Even so, I've trudged quite a few miles in them, both hiking in calf deep snow, and strapped into snowshoes. No problems found.

Coincidentally we went to the tree farm yesterday and cut our Christmas tree. Knowing full well that the Eastern end of Lake Ontario got hammerd with snow last week, I put on my winter boots before heading out. Good choice. I'd actually forgotten how comforable those boots are....

Ordin
Old 12-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #12
oldsmores

Quote:
Greetings.....i have been looking into several different boots for hiking and snowshoeing in the winter.....what do ya'll think about Raichle, Limmer, and Asolos..??? thanks... looking for a boot i can wear in snowshoes and then hike with in the winter...
I've never had Limmer's, but have heard nothing but good things about them. I wore a pair of Raichle's for years and years (re-soled them three times). I loved them, but bought them a long time ago, so I couldn't swear that they still make the same quality they used to. I own two pair of Asolo's and love them both.
The real key is fit. I have a very narrow foot and both the Raichle and Asolo work for me.
oldsmores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #13
Kevin
**BANNED**

Isn't this a perfect fit for the gear section?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
Chickadee

i am looking into the north face boots...i am also very very interested in Alicos...-Ryan
Old 12-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I own these.

I'm also a fan of these.
I have a North Face pair similar to the first, and I'm also a big fan of the second. In the one hike with the North Face boots I found that my feet were too loose inside, especially around the heel, even though they are my correct size and otherwise fit fine. The insulation in the pair I have is only the 200g thinsulate, the 400 might do a better job. I found my toes getting cold in 30F weather with the 200g and a medium merino wool sock and liner.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #16
billandjudy
SnowTime

I normally wear Columbia Bugaboos in the winter--they work well w/ snowshoes and strap-on crampons, and are warm too. I bought these http://www.backcountry.com/store/LSP...ml?id=gsMfP5CJ last week in anticipation of some extended backpack trips that we have planned for this winter. I wore them this past weekend during a 9.5 mile traverse of the Blackhead Range(Catskills) in 3-4 inches of snow and cold temps. Amazingly comfortable right out of the box--great ankle support (a problem for me), no problem w/ warmth, and very stable coming down the steep and rocky North side of Blackhead. I am considering using them for my every day winter boot
billandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #17
Trailpatrol
MN State Park Ranger

New Mukluks

We have a new mukluk maker here in Minnesota, who is a new sponsor of our ski patrol. Duane Lottig sold out the clothing part of Empire Canvas Works to Kevin Kinney, who has been doing the anoraks for Duane for years. Kevin has added some heavy-duty mukluks and kids mukluks (to be unveiled at the John Beargrease Sleddog Marathon in Duluth, MN next month.) to the line, as well as a zip-front anorak/parka.

I wear mulkluks almost exclusively when snowshoeing and skiing. I have Berwin bindings on my skis which means I can change from 'shoes to skis without changing footwear. That is, of course, when we have snow.

The new Empire mukluks (Kevin calls them "boots") are different mostly because they have a harder, semi-rigid sole, as opposed the the Stegers (which I also have, and have had for about 3 years) and the lacing/binding system is easier to use after you get the boot sized to your foot. Note: you DO need to read and follow the instructions the first time you wear them, or your feet will slop all over the mukluk. There are two different models with both felt and pile booties available. More info at http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/

BTW, Duane is still making traditional winter camping tents as "Snowtrekker Tents" and can be found at http://www.snowtrekkertents.com/

Stay warm!
Hans
Old 12-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
NicksMaint

Columbia Bugaboo

I use a pair of the Columbia Bugaboo boots by themselves, with crampons or snowshoes. They are warm and are in very good shape after 3 years of fairly heavy use. I would not hesitate to buy them again.
NicksMaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:26 PM   #19
michaelb

Quote:
i was hoping to buy a boot that was a seamless one piece leather boot.....thanks again...-Ryan
I would not recommend an uninsulated one piece leather boot for winter use. I have a pair of 15 year old merrell wilderness boots like that, that did work great for backpacking in their time. But a straight leather boot is not going to be insulated, and that may not be adequate for climbing mts in cold conditions. Cold feet can be a bummer or dangerous.

Also, try as you might, waterproofing the leather and the stitching will be an endless process. You may do a pretty good job, but we also face a lot of mixed conditions and melting snow, and hiking in snow for hours pounds water into the leather repeatedly, so very tough to really stay dry.

The dedicated winter hiking boots are really much nicer for winter hiking IMO. I have a pair of salomons that work pretty well. The higher ankle cuff is also very nice in deep snow. Leather boots can work most of the time, but when they don't work you are not going to be very happy.
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:13 AM   #20
Lhakpa

I swear by my Hi-Tec's. I have never worn anything else. They fit great are and are waterproof. Hi-Tec also makes several boots including the Altitude-IV that are also insulated to -40 degrees. For winter hiking I add my OR Croc gaiters and we're off. Campmor sells these boots at great prices. They also make a great line of winter specific hiking/backpacking boots.
http://www.hi-tec.com/