Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Back to Basics - A passing

After a long bout with cancer, on April 14th, Good friday, Kim VanEvera, owner and proprieter of Back to The Basics in Bleeker Passed. Kim was a friend to many, and was selfless in helping many people.

Her website will be kept on line, as a tribute and a memorial to her works and her life.

Knowing Kim has enriched my life, and it is now diminished by the going away of my friend. When I hike in the Silver Lake Wilderness, on the Northville Placid Trail, and pause and feel the gentle wind on my cheek, it will be a whisper from my friend, telling me that she is fine. It will be a reminder of someone who walked with me for all too short a time, and made my life richer as a result.

Someday, when it comes time for me to make the journey, Kim will meet me, take my hand and quietly say say, “Come friend, let us walk together, I’ll show you the way.

Heaven has a new guide.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Mavs00
I am the sith

How incredibly sad, I had no idea she was sick. She was so young.........

We never met and I never had the occasion of visiting "BtB", but I had visited her site and ALWAYS admired the tone of her site and what she was creating there. Her passion for the outdoors and her family was clearly evident.

To her family and friends, I can only offer my profound sympathy. This forum has lost a valuable member in Kim. But as Hawk mentions, to those that knew her, her spirit will live on for you.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Boreal Chickadee

Kim's passing away is a true loss. I never met her, but from seeing her work at BtB it was eveident that she devoted her life to her girls and furthering people's enjoyment and appreciation of the woods.

Very sad indeed. Your words, Hawk, say it best.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

How sad, my condolences to her family and friends. I never got a chance to meet Kim in person, but did I correspond with her some on this forum. The Adirondacks have lost someone truly special.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
whitefoot

Kim will truly be missed by all who knew her, Beth and I were fortianate enough to have been able to get to know her real well over the past 2 yrs.
seems like we've known her forever she was an awesome person and had a way of making you feel right at home. Kim started a really good thing at Back to Basics, we will miss her very much.

As Peanut Butter said , Hawks words say it best.
whitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Wildernessphoto

Kim was truly an amazing women. She will be missed.

Her dad sent her bio to a few of us who knew her...

Here's an excerpt:

Camped and dogsleded the backwoods of Maine
Rode the rapids on a raft
Sailed and worked on Ocean sailing schooner
Hiked the Northville Lake Placid Trail
Certified Skydiver
Licensed New York State Guide and hunter
Entrepreneur and ran Back to Basics - rustic camping for hikers, hunters and outdoor enthusiasts
Won the Global award for WEB site creation - www.gobacktothebasics.com
Listed in National Geographic Adventure Magazine and several other publications
Was scheduled to hike the Appalachian Trail 2006

It amazed me how much she had accomplished in her short life, and how much she loved life.
The world is a little dimmer place without her.
She will be missed...

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
marshmallow

Kim was such a wonderful person and I will miss her everyday. I feel very lucky to have met her and call her my friend. She accomplished more in her short life than most people do living into their 80's. The first time Bryan and myself had the pleasure of staying at Back to Basics she made us feel like part of her family and even more so the 10+ other times we have visited in the last 2 years.

There will never be another place like Back to Basics because there will never be another Kim.

Beth
marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
adkdremn
Dreamin I'm there....the ADKS!

Very sad and tragic news. I stayed there once with my family about 3 falls ago when they were just trying to establish the place. Very nice people and an enjoyable time. Will anyone continue to run the place, whatever happened to the guy that used to run it with Kim? They invested so much into the place it would be awful to see it fall into disrepair!
God bless her girls and family!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkdremn
Very sad and tragic news. I stayed there once with my family about 3 falls ago when they were just trying to establish the place. Very nice people and an enjoyable time. Will anyone continue to run the place, whatever happened to the guy that used to run it with Kim? They invested so much into the place it would be awful to see it fall into disrepair!
God bless her girls and family!
The Yurts will eventually be used on some property near the AT trail in Mass.

Her website will continue as a rememberance and other things are being done.

As for "the guy", he never invested a cent, deserted her and then took the insurance checks for the medical and finally took her off his health insurance. he also made things just as miserable for her as he could. Same as he did with his four ex wives.

So if you run across him, let me know where he is.

Sorry folks, but many of us are hot and after this guy, including the prosecutors in several towns in different states as well as this one. Insurance fraud among other things.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 04-24-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk

As for "the guy", he never invested a cent, deserted her and then took the insurance checks for the medical and finally took her off his health insurance. he also made things just as miserable for her as he could. Same as he did with his four ex wives.

So if you run across him, let me know where he is.

Sorry folks, but many of us are hot and after this guy, including the prosecutors in several towns in different states as well as this one. Insurance fraud among other things.
What a damned shame- why is it that so many good people get taken advantage of by low life types?

I never met Kim but I wish the best for her 2 beautiful daughters (pics on the BTB website)- hate to see kids lose their mother at such a young age......
Old 04-24-2006, 09:25 PM   #11
Judgeh

It was obvious Kim was ill on the weekend of the Forum winter gathering. Nevertheless, she did her best to take care of us (and her own children). She even came out on a very cold night at dinner to ply us with her very own homemade eclairs. A wonderful lady who I knew for too brief a time.
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #12
Holdstrong

This is just heartbreaking news.

I hadn't heard an update about Kim in awhile and so I made the mistake of assuming things were getting better.

Alot of people would be so lucky to live as full a life as she did and touch so many, but it doesn't stop me from feeling miserably sad right now.

My thoughts are with everyone who knew her.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:23 AM   #13
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

I didn't know her but death is always sad. She obviously was loved a great deal. My condolences to her friends and family.

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
scooch

Kim needed a bigger venue from which to continue her important work. Basics was just the beginning of what she will continue to create. Basics is a place for good people to find other good people, and yes Beth you are right, there will never be another place like it, because there will never be another Kim...however there are a Rachel and a Taryn, and just wait until their creative juices start flowing....Kim lives on in them...and us....she was such a love.....so gentle....and at the same time...she was the raw material of courage......just awesome!!!!!
a few words about "the guy"....God does not like people like "the guy"....and neither do I...I will be ever watchful for him on this mountain, as are many.....

" I believe that for his "escape" he took advantage of the migration of a large flock of wild birds....." From - The Little Prince. Kim was especially fond of this book and the message it intended.

Last edited by scooch; 04-28-2006 at 09:38 AM..
scooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:30 AM   #15
Kevin
**BANNED**

In the 16 months I got to know her, she was always a pleasure to be with despite the battles I knew she was fighting. The food was always delicious, fire in the kitchen always warm. Val and I had the honor of seeing her about 5 weeks ago, spending several hours there talking about the recent fire and making tentative plans for a 'warm-up' hike in early April (that never came to be). If I knew then what I know now I would never have left that day to visit with redhawk, and would have stayed the night as she had offered. It was the last I would see of her and her smile will be greatly missed.

To her children: I hope you can understand that your monther did nothing to deserve this fate and that every day we, as humans, have alive and healthy is a blessing not to be taken for granted. Seize the day.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #16
Edelweiss

Dick and I met Kim for the first time on the weekend of the Winter Gathering. While the yurt was warming up after our arrival we were warmly ushered into Kim's house where we sat and chatted for at least an hour along with Bruce and Jim while Kim put the finishing touches on some homemade eclairs she had made for the following evening's dessert. I immediately felt comfortable and content. She seemed frail and tired but determined to go about her chores as usual. Her face brightened with excitement and pride when her girls arrived home. We thought it best to leave at that point so as not to intrude. We also stopped by before we left at the end of the weekend to thank Kim for her generocity - she again greeted us warmly and insisted that we sign our names on one of the porch beams - a Back to Basics tradition, we were told. Our hearts go out to Kim's girls who will, I have every confidence, grow to be strong, compassionate reflections of their mother. Dick and I will think of her as we hike the Northville-Placid Trail this summer.
Joanne
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:03 AM   #17
eArThworm

I'm in tears.

Last August Kim "rescued" me when I had to abort an attempted NPT thruhike due to illness. In spite of her own illness, that angel of a woman took SUCH GOOD care of me, just as if I were family. Tonight I just happened to think about her and was wondering how she was doing. So I went to her website... and learned of her death. Now I'm in tears. I guess I knew it was probably inevitable, but... Well, I'm sure she's with the other angels.

My prayers that had been for her will now be for her own two little angels.
eArThworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:06 AM   #18
redhawk

Next time you're on the Southern Leg of the NPT. take a little side trip to Rock lake, only .1mi off the trail.

Kims spirit is there, Keven, Val and I left a little of her there today.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:29 AM   #19
eArThworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
Next time you're on the Southern Leg of the NPT. take a little side trip to Rock lake, only .1mi off the trail. Kims spirit is there, Keven, Val and I left a little of her there today.
I camped there my 1st nite on the Trail. What a lovely spot! I plan to re-try the thruhike this September and I'll be sure to go back there and "see" her. Thank you so much for telling me about this.
eArThworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:39 AM   #20
redhawk

Check back on her website from time to time. Things are being done by others to continue her legacy and set up a foundation for Taryn and Rachel.

As things fall into place they will be posted on the Back to Basics website which will be kept online as a memorial to Kim.