Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
billandjudy
SnowTime

360 panorama from Noonmark

I pieced together 9 pics I took from Noonmark last Sunday--One of those "no cloud" days It's a whopper--way to big to attach--8000 x 760--but it is pretty cool--If anyone would like it, PM me and I'll Email it to you. There is a small version here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/548301968tMLmvw
Bill
billandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
oldsmores

Excellent!!!!!
oldsmores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

The stitching worked pretty well. Bluebird day!

What software do you use? For a while I was experimenting with using the blending tools in photoshop and gave up as it was too time consuming to get it 'just right'. I know my camera and other makes come with software that supposedly does the grunt work for you, but haven't had any experience with using them yet. I did take some potential panoramic shots on Giant Monday I would like to see if I could stitch together.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
billandjudy
SnowTime

Hey Kevin--I use Panorama Maker 3--It came w/ the software w/ my digital camera-works pretty well with joining edges but you have to keep pretty level when taking the shots as it doesn't allow you adjust the pics up and down much. This is the first time I've used it--pretty simple little program--I didn't have to make any tweeks at all--I also tried Paint Shop Pro but that was way too involved and eats up memory like all get out.
Bill
Old 04-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
jackchinook

Nice panorama...
I just overcame a milestone with my pano creations. I found a much higher success rate by using manual mode and SPECIFICALLY using manual white balance. I found that most of my skies typically needed some blending between them...and this was caused by the camera's AI thinking for me. Go manual and you'll get better results. Take an average exposure between range of what you get from left to right.

As far as software, I used to use the propriatary Photostitch that came with my Canon cameras, with Zoombrowzer. It works pretty well but I recently started using Autostitch, made by some guys from University of British Columbia.
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
unfortunately they just have a trial version so far...no permanent version...I'm still waiting on that.

It's really easy and does all the work for you. Just make sure you change to JPG settings to 100% or full size or whatever before you start or you'll get SUPER-compressed final products that look bad.

Here's a sample that I'm pretty happy with, though the sky looks a tiny bit funny since a big part of it was directly into the sun.
jackchinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
billandjudy
SnowTime

Hi Jack--Thanks-Your's is seamless--Mine came out ok although it needs a little blending in the sky--I have one from Cascade which I'll post soon. It was so windy both days I had a hard time keeping things level as I took the shots
Bill
Old 04-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
Kevin
**BANNED**

Seeing is believing, so I just HAD to try the autostitch... and it works VERY well!

Here's a 5 shot 180 degree pan (usually you use more photos to make a panoramic) from last weekend's Tongue Mountain range hike...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pan_French_Point.jpg (60.0 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by Kevin; 04-09-2006 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: spellering missed steak
Old 04-07-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
Kevin
**BANNED**

One last one... here's a view from Pyramid Peak (near Gothics). This was 4 individual shots. I'm sold on autostitch .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pan_Pyramid.jpg (115.9 KB, 166 views)
Old 04-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #9
kurtteej
New to ***** (not t'foot)

great job on the stitching. I always have a tough time getting the lighting right since i usually hit the good spots in mid afternoon.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
jackchinook

Kevin,
tremendous panoramas. Autotostitch is fantastic, isn't it? As long as you've got decent shots, it will put them together quickly and easily. I'm monitoring their site and will purchase their full version if/when it ever gets done. In the meantime, their trial version is decent and its free.
jackchinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #11
AdRegion
TourPro

Wow, thanks for the tip on AutoStitch. I'd say considering the whole thing is less than 1.5MB, this program is pretty amazing. Man, if I take a picture of anything now, might as well take like 30 all around and just stitch them up. It's like the ultimate wide-angle lens.
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #12
Mavs00
I am the sith

I just got a new Cannon SD600 and it came with PhotoStitch, so I though I'd give is a quick whorl. Here's a quick 3 photo pana from a local park.

I'm no photographer or anything, but here's the -FULL IMAGE-. Dammed if I could find the seams.

I've not checked out autostitch but from the looks of your photos, works great too.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
marzrw

Nice Avatar Jackchinook...Is that a Vermont Rainbow?
Have caught some nice wild Vermont Rainbows also...They are pretty...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #14
marzrw

Or is it a Cutthroat?
Old 04-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #15
wildbrookies

Yes, looks like its either a Golden Trout or Cutthroat.....

Just my .02 cents!!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #16
SteveVindler
ADK Noobie

wow autostitch is insane i just put together my 360 of noonmark
Check it outhttp://community.webshots.com/photo/...7980891OGIanT#

Lemme know what you think, it was a really nice day i haven't cropped yet...

Heres one from Moosehead Lake, Maine
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...7980891MkDYEV#

What image hosting are u guys using because webshots won't let me put my full resolution pan shots

ps nice shots guys!

Last edited by SteveVindler; 05-19-2006 at 02:09 PM..
SteveVindler is offline   Reply With Quote