Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #501
SteveB

The name is Steve and I am mad as all get out for having missed the Gathering. Shame on me!

Anyways, I live O. Falls NY
Traded in the snowmobile for some snowshoes so I can get out and do some winter hiking and camping. Glad I made the switch.

Looking forward to meeting some cool people on here and hopefully create a few trail friends as well. The solo thing is fun, but it would be nice to go hiking with a friend or two. Everyone I know basically REFUSES to go out hiking/camping with me in the winter. "It's to cold!", they say.

whatever

So, Hello Everyone! :-)
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #502
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
The name is Steve and I am mad as all get out for having missed the Gathering. Shame on me!

Anyways, I live O. Falls NY
Traded in the snowmobile for some snowshoes so I can get out and do some winter hiking and camping. Glad I made the switch.

Looking forward to meeting some cool people on here and hopefully create a few trail friends as well. The solo thing is fun, but it would be nice to go hiking with a friend or two. Everyone I know basically REFUSES to go out hiking/camping with me in the winter. "It's to cold!", they say.

whatever

So, Hello Everyone! :-)
Welcome Steve - you won't find too many here who ever say it's too cold, so you're in luck!!

Scott

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #503
Jeffreys25

I' currently a accounting student in buffalo, NY. I started getting involved in the outdoors when I went hunting with my dad, I recently just started backpacking 3 years ago and this is my first year winter backpacking. I love the outdoors just to get away from everything and all the technology in the world. The best thing about the outdoors is that no one can call or contact you and everything goes back the way it was before technology. Don't get me wrong I love all the time and technology that went into creating the gear the keeps me alive everytime I go out for the week backpacking.
Jeffreys25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #504
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreys25 View Post
I' currently a accounting student in buffalo, NY. I started getting involved in the outdoors when I went hunting with my dad, I recently just started backpacking 3 years ago and this is my first year winter backpacking. I love the outdoors just to get away from everything and all the technology in the world. The best thing about the outdoors is that no one can call or contact you and everything goes back the way it was before technology. Don't get me wrong I love all the time and technology that went into creating the gear the keeps me alive everytime I go out for the week backpacking.
Welcome aboard Jeffrey.

SUNY Buffalo, or Buffalo State? I did my undergraduate at Buffalo State.
And now I'm suddenly having a craving for a Mighty Taco. Suicidal of course.

~ZZ

PS.
And while I hear you on the tech stuff, if it wasn't for that, you wouldn't be able to introduce yourself here.

(Click on Greeneyezz)

"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Greeneyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #505
Jeffreys25

neither I go to medaille and i had some mighty yesterday
Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #506
iamjanco

Hi all, another noob to the forum here. Recently moved from a place on Upper Saranac Lake to one off of Grist Mill in Keene. Looking forward to meeting others in the area, especially those who'd like to do some photographic expeditions.

Jan
iamjanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #507
Rookie
Dream Farmer

I am jealous of where you live !

I have to drive from Eden (south of Buffalo) to get to the High Peaks.

Gives me some thinkin time ,at least.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #508
Jeffreys25

same here to get to high peaks I have to drive from buffalo
Old 07-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #509
WiseFool
Backpacker

Okay, my turn:

I'm a 34 year old graduate student at SUNY Albany, studying information science. I moved within the blue line when I was 12, and lived there for 10 years. I was born near Albany, and live here now. I credit my father for giving me the outdoor bug, and have been camping since I can remember. Early in the 2000's my interest in camping and backpacking the ADKs exploded, and I began to take hiking more seriously. I am a hopeless gear-head who prefers valley hikes into ponds and lakes. 10 years ago my pack weighed about 50 pounds, and now I've managed to keep it around 30 (including food and whiskey). I frequently hike with my lovely girlfriend, but also enjoy solo overnighters once or twice a year. Favorite places include: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Lake George Wild Forest, Siamese Ponds Wilderness, and recently the Cedar Lakes. This forum provides some of the best information on the ADKs, and it is great to be a part of it. Happy Trails.
WiseFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #510
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseFool View Post
Okay, my turn:

I'm a 34 year old graduate student at SUNY Albany, studying information science. I moved within the blue line when I was 12, and lived there for 10 years. I was born near Albany, and live here now. I credit my father for giving me the outdoor bug, and have been camping since I can remember. Early in the 2000's my interest in camping and backpacking the ADKs exploded, and I began to take hiking more seriously. I am a hopeless gear-head who prefers valley hikes into ponds and lakes. 10 years ago my pack weighed about 50 pounds, and now I've managed to keep it around 30 (including food and whiskey). I frequently hike with my lovely girlfriend, but also enjoy solo overnighters once or twice a year. Favorite places include: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Lake George Wild Forest, Siamese Ponds Wilderness, and recently the Cedar Lakes. This forum provides some of the best information on the ADKs, and it is great to be a part of it. Happy Trails.
Whiskey of the turkey kind is always welcome on the South Shore of Cranberry Lake, not that we run out very often. The CL 50.or parts of, might suit you also.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #511
WiseFool
Backpacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Whiskey of the turkey kind is always welcome on the South Shore of Cranberry Lake, not that we run out very often. The CL 50.or parts of, might suit you also.
We usually carry some cheap-and-dirty libation like Evan Williams or Early Times. Might have to revisit the ol' Turk.
WiseFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #512
Kraut

Hi all

I'm Jason, 34 - I'm a geologist origionally from Rochester/Syracuse area, but went to college in Pennsylvania and have stayed down here since. Did my tour in Philly for a couple of years and have lived about an hour north of Pittsburgh for the last 10 years. Have a hunting camp in the northern part of adirondacks which I try to get to a few times a year, and used to do a bit of snowmobiling in the Speculator region years ago.

Obviously love the outdoors, primarily hunting a fishing (chasing trout is borderline obsession - although hunting is more of a walk in the woods) and pretty much lurk on here looking for news and checking out fishing reports from up north.

Many things I miss about NY, with being so close to the Lake Ontario and Finger Lakes, and the adirondacks a short drive away, but jobs and money have me down here (and PA is a pretty decent outdoors state in its own right).
Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #513
imonacan

Hi All,

I'm Bill, from Rochester, NY. I like to primitive camp, hike, and do some short go- lite backpacking trips, do some nature recording (audio soundscapes), and some bird and nature watching. I'm getting a little older and a bit lazier, and don't do the walking and remote camping that I used to, and find myself car camping in selected spots, more often than not. I'll occasionally go to a public campground, if it's a good one with nice scenery, not overcrowded, and some space between the sites.
I've always loved the Adirondacks, and usually make several trips a year , to do some research, or just what I've mentioned above. Wish I could spend more time there, and see more of it. I'd say I've camped in the Moose River Plains, the most often. I also camp a lot, in the wilds of northern PA, and in the Allegheny NF, as well as on State lands in the NY southerntier. Unfortunately, they have most of them gated, this season.
Happy to have joined this forum, as I've been lurking and reading for quite a while. Take it easy, and talk to you later.
imonacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #514
dmynke
Finally Back Home!!

Has it been 3 yrs??

Geesch...Can't believe I hadn't found this thread in 3 yrs!!!!

Ok, about me.... I'm 52 and was born in Cobleskill, NY while parents were in college. Grew up in Glens Falls and Fort Edward. Spent 16 yrs active duty U.S. Army attaining the rank of Chief Warrant Officer 2. Have lived in El Paso (TX), Olympia (WA), Colorado Springs (CO), Park City (UT), Bolton Valley (VT) and most recently, New Port Richey (FL). My background includes electronics, process/packaging engineering and operations. I've worked for Keurig and Lucas Aerospace.

I even worked as an electrician for 2 weeks at a Phish festival at Fulton County airport back in '99. THAT was a trip!!! Every year that I could, I'd come back to the Adirondacks for 2 weeks of camping and trout fishing. Now I've finally been back for 3 weeks and reside in Glens Falls. I'm divorced and have a 25 yo son and 23 yo daughter who live in Olympia, WA.

I'm an avid homebrewer who brews about 10 5-gal batches of beer a yr.

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew
dmynke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #515
tonydinardo77

Tony here. 33. New to the forum. Have spent most of my life outdoors. Loving hiking, canoeing, hunting, and camping, especially leaving the marked trails and the population behind. Engineer/consultant by day. I've found that I don't have the patience to lug around too much useless gear. When in the park, I seem to spend most of my time wandering around the Five Ponds area.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #516
bdoon51

Question I come in peace

Name: Brian
Occupation: gubmint ofishal..."The bidness of gubmint ed bidness"
wife: mean
kids: with hands out
grandchildren: are a joy! (especially little identical twins)
favorite places: Sierra Nevadas, Adirondacks and Costa Rica (though Honduras is half the price and almost as nice)
edjakation:is expensive
favorite food:free
favorite car: yours

Is there any reason to visit Wash DC in the summer or late spring? Would you like to visit Da District with a "free" place to stay? Have a place somewhere near Lake Champlain or in the Adirondacks you want to swap for a week or two. Doesn't have to be a real nice place...as long as clean, safe and has the neccesary utilities (including cable or equivalent). I might be willing to throw in my wife to do cooking and cleaning (I wish).

Civil War battlefields enough to make you uncivil...ditto for monuments and museums. Baltimore Harbor and Ft McHenry....planned cities of Greenbelt and Columbia and Reston...Shenandoah Valley...the Obamansion...the steps the Exorcist fell to his death and Heaven on...DC Sniper sites...actually nice people outside the 25 mile radius of DC and Baltimore...watch the Orioles lose and the Nationals muse (both cool stadiums) plus we have Verizon cable with movies and Netflix on demand. "These are a few of my favorite things"...Julie Andrews..."The Hound of Yousick"

I love the adirondacks and am willing to swap my house for your NYS home for a week or two.Late Dec or mid-August or even late Sept (you get to see what the tropics on the Potomac River are like). We even have airconditioning
and parking spaces.

Did the Bushman ever run into Bigfoot or is it just the Police from NYS in both cases ? I hate the NY Highway Patrol...gave me a ticket for driving 63 mph in a 60 mph zone on the Thruway...unreal. Cost me $124. I am a Native Son...born in Rome and lived ther most of my life ...until I was 3 years old.....after that you are dying ("not busy being born is busy dying"). No winter swaps...I do not know how to ski, snow board, snowshoe or snowmobile...snow in DC is as rare as a Bills' winning season (we luv de Ravens!).

Is it cold there right now? Come June ...how do you spell envy? I love the Adirondacks!
bdoon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #517
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoon51 View Post
...snow in DC is as rare as a Bills' winning season (we luv de Ravens!).
If there was ever a post that deserved banishment!

“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”

~John Muir

Photos
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #518
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
If there was ever a post that deserved banishment!

We allow the truth here...sadly.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #519
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

maybe move it to the commercial section... for sale or ..

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #520
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Hey,
All you new to the forum slackers...
C'mon, let's hear from you and see what makes you tick.
I see a lot of new members, but know nothing of them.