Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #441
paddlewheel

The moutains & me

I'm 55 and I work as a landscaper...I got my love of the ADK's when i was a kid and spent summers on the east shore of Schroon Lake at my uncle's camp....After I got out of the Navy in 74 I started getting into backpacking and cross country skiing. one spring I went to go look at a canoe for sale because i wanted to have something for fishing and fell in with a bunch of white water wackos and was off to the races with that for about 15 years. I've done some climbing here and there......now i do alot of canoeing and kayaking (touring).....still backpack x-contry ski, snowshoe and grab an occaisional high peak when i can get in that mode when the crowds don't bother me....oh by the way....i never fished out of that first canoe....
Old 08-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #442
Justin

Welcome Paddlewheel!!!

...or should I say....

Welcome, my great father whom has shown me the light!

I can only hope that many others on this forum are lucky enough to have a father like you, and are a father like you, that share the great joys of being in the Adirondacks like the way you've always done for me....and still do!

...and I really didn't mean what I said in my post (#330)!!!

After all, you are actually in much better shape than I am.

...what can I say.... I am sorry, I was a new member back then, just trying to fit in, and just looking for some new hiking friends.

...Love ya dude! -Yer boy

Last edited by Justin; 08-11-2008 at 10:37 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #443
snickers
Having fun on Redfield!!

new to this forum

Hi All,

Some of you know me from adkhighpeaks. This is only my third post here, looks like a friendly place, hoping to make many new friends here, as well as build more memories with old friends.

WOW, some great stories about all of you.

I am 46, from NE PA. My greatest accomplishment in life was raising my daughter. Heather is 25 now and we grew up together. I have always enjoyed the outdoors, was forever playing in the woods as a kid growing up. After Heather came along we did a lot of family camping, canoeing, sledding, always playing outside. Down the pond looking for tadpoles and frogs, taking walks in the woods by our home. Then as she got older it was basketball, softball, girl scouts, football games, dances, running the kids here and there. Then came graduation and college for Heather, my best friend was gone.

Doing some volunteer work I came across a brochure about backpacking, cool, I have always wanted to try backpacking. Talked a friend into going with me. Well, turns out I loved it, then I started hiking with clubs. With the clubs I learned about the mountains. They were always talking about this mountain up in Maine called Katahdin. Going on about how hard it can be to climb, really intrigued me. Well, I planned a trip up to Maine, started hiking and backpacking the hardest hikes I could find in PA to get in shape. Then the big day came, we were in Baxter getting ready to hike up this hard mountain. I was so scared that morning I was sick to my stomach, couldn't eat. One of the guys on the trip noticed I didn't eat breakfast and when I was off by myself getting ready in the morning he came over to talk to me, find out what was wrong. He got me to eat and stayed with me for the whole hike. Well, we had so much fun that day and laughed so hard, before I knew it we were to the top...where was that really hard part everyone kept telling me about. Then Jeff and I headed to the Whites for a few days, hiked up King Ravine to Mt. Adams, then hiked the Baldfaces. Well, needless to say I was pretty hooked on the mountains by the end of this week long trip. That was in August of 2004. October 2004 I discovered the Catskills and then I discovered winter climbing, that was it, I couldn't get enough of it. I quickly got over the empty nest thing and now I am out hiking something, someplace just about every weekend. Oh yeah, just went back to Baxter the other week and hiked Katahdin via Pamola and the Knife Edge, really, really cool hike. I am now 10 peaks away from the ADK 46, hoping to finish them before Oct 31 and my 47th birthday. It would be cool to become a 46'r while I am 46. Watch for my post as I am looking for company on the few peaks I have left.

Hope to see some of you on the trails.

Happy Trails - Cindy
-Maya Angelou
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #444
Dick
somewhere out there...

Hi Cindy, and welcome to the forum. Do you think we might get together and do a hike sometime???

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #445
snickers
Having fun on Redfield!!

Thanks Dick. I think I see a paddle in our future.

Cindy
-Maya Angelou
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #446
adkman12986

My name is
Dave and have lived in the hart of the Adirondack Mts for the past 57 years. I enjoy hunting, fishing and just being outdoors. Currently working for New York State and have for the past 21 years. Grew up in the Newcomb area and have made the big trek (Newcomb to Lake Placid via Marcy) twice. Climed Adams, Goodnow, Marcy Satinoni, Haystack, Nippletop, Vanderwacker and a few more. Also made the trek from the Boras River bridge on the Blue Ridge rd to the Bridge on the Minerva road fishing several times.
Sportsman Education instructor teaching ethics, gun and bow safty, and hunter ed. President of the Tupper Lake Archers, Secretary of the Tupper Lake Rod & Gun Club and chair the largest Ice Fishing derby in the north.

adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #447
ADK88
Tyler

About me...a little

My name is Tyler. My home is in Schenectady, NY. Currently I'm attending Houghton College in western NY as an Outdoor Recreation major. My family has a small camp on Lake Simon, right off of Tupper Lake. I've been coming up to the Adirondacks in the summer and winter for my entire life.

Currently I am working on my winter 46 (I have 23 done so far, so half way). I have two kayaks, a mountain bike, lots of gear, and love to put that combination together to create an awesome trip. I've camped out under the stars, hiked a mountain at night, camped out on the top of a mountain, been part of rescues, been rescued, slept in a canoe (while it was on the water), cliff jumped off Bluff Island on Middle Saranac, and just love to do anything fun, crazy, and in between...just as long as it's in the Adirondacks!

Have a great day, everybody!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #448
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK88 View Post
My name is Tyler. My home is in Schenectady, NY. Currently I'm attending Houghton College in western NY as an Outdoor Recreation major. My family has a small camp on Lake Simon, right off of Tupper Lake. I've been coming up to the Adirondacks in the summer and winter for my entire life.

Currently I am working on my winter 46 (I have 23 done so far, so half way). I have two kayaks, a mountain bike, lots of gear, and love to put that combination together to create an awesome trip. I've camped out under the stars, hiked a mountain at night, camped out on the top of a mountain, been part of rescues, been rescued, slept in a canoe (while it was on the water), cliff jumped off Bluff Island on Middle Saranac, and just love to do anything fun, crazy, and in between...just as long as it's in the Adirondacks!

Have a great day, everybody!
Welcome -

I have some friends on Lake Simon Rd in Tupper - just past the Gun Club...nice area.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #449
ADK88
Tyler

Oh, that's great WinterWarlock! I know where that is. Would you care to share who they are? I might know them as well. We are further down the road.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #450
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Oh, that's great WinterWarlock! I know where that is. Would you care to share who they are? I might know them as well. We are further down the road.
Sure - but sent in a PM.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #451
ADK88
Tyler

ok, sounds good.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #452
Night Dog

Hi my name is Ralph.I am 53 and been hiking since I was nine.I enjoy x-country skiing and downhill skiing,mt.biking ,and road biking.I am a 46er and a Catskill 3500 member.My first high peak climb was Mt. Marcy in 1972,but I did not get interested in climbing all 46 until 1997,and then by 2001 I climbed all 46 and MacNaugton.

Last edited by Night Dog; 10-03-2008 at 07:50 AM..
Old 10-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #453
ADKechoes73

Hello, new here...

Just thought I'd tell everyone I'm new here and look forward to posting on the forum, been looking for people to discuss my obsession with the Adirondacks for a while now. I'm an 18yo college student, drummer, and outdoor enthusiast. I've done a lot of traveling and without a doubt the ADK park is not only my favorite NYS park but also my favorite of any park in the US as well as CA, and I don't think that'll ever change. I'm a bit earthy but not a hippy, I just enjoy the natural/organic lifestyle (but I'm not anti-hunter like many of that type, I hunt myself). Well that about does it, hopefully I can make some new friends here that really share my love the park because not many of my friends get it unfortunately. With each new generation the respect and enthusiasm for the outdoors seems to diminish more and more...
ADKechoes73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #454
dke1924

I lurked on this forum for over a year before joining a couple of months ago, and I'm glad I did.

My name is Dave, I'm 34, married and I am a geologist, working for a small environmental consulting company near Rochester. Between the Boy Scouts as a kid, my time in the Marine Corps, geology field trips in college and my current pursuits, I have been hiking and camping for most of my life. My first experience in the ADKs was in the Scouts on a trip up Ampersand. I didn't return to the park until I was 20 in 1995 for a trip up Algonquin.

Unfortunately, with work, life, etc., I don't get out as much as I would like (my wife does not share my affliction). My best friend, who I did Algonquin with in 95, has lived out of state (and for a while out of country) since college, but he comes in once a year for our annual fall hike. Usually somewhere in the high peaks (not in the eastern high peaks since 97), but a few years we have done other hikes, like west canada lakes area and a section of the LT in VT. His brother in law has come with us each year since 2000. The annual fall trip has become a very special part of my life, and I look forward to it every year.

I am an aspiring 46er, but I am in no hurry. My wife says I should set a goal of getting them by the time I am 50. Sounds like a good pace to me. I see the 46 as less of a goal and more of a framework around which to plan trips. I have 18 so far.

Anyway, that's me. Great forums, I look forward to many more interesting discussions.
For me and for thousands with similar inclinations, the most important passion of life is the overpowering desire to escape periodically from the clutches of a mechanistic civilization. To us the enjoyment of solitude, complete independence, and the beauty of undefiled panoramas is absolutely essential to happiness.- Bob Marshall
dke1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #455
ADK88
Tyler

Welcome, dke1924! Great to have you here.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #456
dke1924

Quote:
Welcome, dke1924! Great to have you here.
Thanks, great to be here.

And to clarify my opening remarks, I am glad that I joined, not that I lurked for a year first.
For me and for thousands with similar inclinations, the most important passion of life is the overpowering desire to escape periodically from the clutches of a mechanistic civilization. To us the enjoyment of solitude, complete independence, and the beauty of undefiled panoramas is absolutely essential to happiness.- Bob Marshall
dke1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 AM   #457
RichK

Let me see where to begin:

My name is Rich and I'm from Rochester. I'm 22 and in my senior year at Syracuse Univeristy about to finish up a major in finance. I'm an aspiring investment banker and I have 2 dogs that usually take part in my adventures. A few days ago I got bored and decided that knocking out the Adk 46 would be my next challenge. My history with mountaineering is non-existant but I'm going to learn as I go. I'm not sure what else to say but if there are any questions just hit me with them.
RichK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #458
ADK88
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post

My name is Rich and I'm from Rochester. I'm 22 and in my senior year at Syracuse Univeristy about to finish up a major in finance. I'm an aspiring investment banker and I have 2 dogs that usually take part in my adventures. A few days ago I got bored and decided that knocking out the Adk 46 would be my next challenge. My history with mountaineering is non-existant but I'm going to learn as I go. I'm not sure what else to say but if there are any questions just hit me with them.
Hey, you should come join us for the beer night!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #459
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post

Not to worry. The 46 do not require any "mountaineering". They are all non-technical treks.

Like a walk in the park but mostly uphill and downhill.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #460
RichK

Quote:
Hey, you should come join us for the beer night!
I was going to do that but I'm stuck in the cuse during the week days.
RichK is offline   Reply With Quote