Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #321
Rookie
Dream Farmer

Welcome to all 3 of you above:

mholtzman
aft paddle
najobzly

You can get all kinds of info and advice here from people who have
"been there, done that ".

I'm looking forward to your trip reports.

Aft paddle---theres a bunch of us in the "over 50" club (all refuse to act their age !)

mholtzman--if you run and do Tri's, keep your eye out for our next Great Range attempt...probably next June.....you'll have to slow down to our pace though !
Old 09-18-2006, 12:21 PM   #322
Little Rickie

Aft paddle---theres a bunch of us in the "over 50" club (all refuse to act their age !)

mholtzman--if you run and do Tri's, keep your eye out for our next Great Range attempt...probably next June.....

you'll have to slow down to our pace though

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #323
najobzly

[QUOTE=Rookie]Welcome to all 3 of you above:

mholtzman
aft paddle
najobzly

You can get all kinds of info and advice here from people who have
"been there, done that ".

Thanks Rookie, there is mountains of good advice here, and a ton of "been there, done that." Different views of the "there" and the "that" is part of what makes this place so entertaining.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #324
cbrown7

After a 17 year hiatus, these mountains got higher!

I just returned to climbing after nearly 17 years. Man, I thought i was in pretty good condition, but at 56 I stop to smell the roses more often. And to breathe! I did a couple small training hikes in September (Floodwood Mountain and then Ampersand) and then a week ago I solo-ed Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge. Nine hours round trip, in by Roaring Brook out by Ridge Trail. I was exhausted and asked myself if I was crazy. Now I can't wait to go back. I've done 30 of the 46 and have reset my goal to get the rest before I am 62. Then I can do them again! I live in Syracuse and have a camp near Fish Creek, in the Floodwood area so it's pretty easy to day trip out of there.

I'm planning to do Street and Nye and then Lower Wolfjaw this fall. I've done a lot of winter hikes, but that was long ago and I may not try that again for a while. I dug out all my old gear and I'm surprised (shouldn't be) about the advances in equipment. I bought a new pack, ground pad and water filter. The freeze dried food hasn't changed much, though. It still tastes great if you are hungary enough!

Any thoughts on best day hike approaches to Stree/Nye and to Lower Wolfjaw?
cbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #325
Neil
Fell out of a plane

CBBrown, indeed the mountains did get higher. The Adirondacks are rising at the rate of 10 cm per century. Stick around for a while and watch Couchie make the list.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #326
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown7
I just returned to climbing after nearly 17 years. Man, I thought i was in pretty good condition, but at 56 I stop to smell the roses more often. And to breathe! I did a couple small training hikes in September (Floodwood Mountain and then Ampersand) and then a week ago I solo-ed Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge. Nine hours round trip, in by Roaring Brook out by Ridge Trail. I was exhausted and asked myself if I was crazy. Now I can't wait to go back. I've done 30 of the 46 and have reset my goal to get the rest before I am 62. Then I can do them again! I live in Syracuse and have a camp near Fish Creek, in the Floodwood area so it's pretty easy to day trip out of there.

I'm planning to do Street and Nye and then Lower Wolfjaw this fall. I've done a lot of winter hikes, but that was long ago and I may not try that again for a while. I dug out all my old gear and I'm surprised (shouldn't be) about the advances in equipment. I bought a new pack, ground pad and water filter. The freeze dried food hasn't changed much, though. It still tastes great if you are hungary enough!

Any thoughts on best day hike approaches to Stree/Nye and to Lower Wolfjaw?
Hi cbrown7, and welcome to the forum! Yes, funny how these peaks seem to get higher every year! Much harder to stay in shape at "our" age (I've got three years on you). Sounds like you've got the right attitude to finish, and then some! Gear and freeze dried food have both advanced, depending upon your tastes, wants, and needs. You'll learn from others as to what you really need as you hike, though mostly you'll figure it out for yourself. Personally, I think some freeze dried stuff isn't bad, but nothing beats dehydrated homemade cooking!

Street/Nye: there's really only one approach here (unless you're into bushwacking): the path from Heart Lake across Indian Pass Brook. It's had a "make-over' in recent years and is a much more "civilized" hike than you may remember, and is now an easy to follow herdpath.

Lower Wolf Jaw has a few options, depending upon what you're looking for in the hike. The 'easiest' in terms of ascent would be the approach from the Interior Outpost via the 'Garden' (Woodsfall Trail). The Ausable Club road to the Wedge Brook Trail is another option. Finally, the W.A. White Trail from Ausable is apparently (I have not hiked this one) a longer but more gradual approach. Check the ADK Guide to the High Peaks (Tony Goodwin, ed.) for specific info.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #327
Boreal Chickadee

cbrwon7- The best and easiest approach to Street and Nye is from the Loj. It's now a piece of cake because our very own (on the forums) Pete Hickey is trail steward for Street and Nye. Now Pete maintains it as a herd path (as it is classified) so you'll have to step over some stuff. It is kept clear enough so that multiple herdpaths are not created (the goal of maintaining a aherd path is to protect the woods, not the hiker).

Street aand Nye is a beautiful hike, easy (for a high peak). the only difficulty is crosing the stream in early spring when the wter can wash man and beast away.

Lower Wold Jaw is also a lovely shorter easy hike in the peaks. I like the approach from the Garden trailhead.

Enjoy the mountains, they've missed you!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #328
cbrown7

Thanks for the info! I'll try to do both climbs this fall before the snow flies.
cbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #329
Gomer
Impolite.

Hello. I'm Gomer. Although I don't live within the park, wasn't born there and have lived as far away as Guam, I still consider the Adirondacks home. My dad's side of the family is from here and we were moved up here when we were kids. That's when I began to see these grand old mountains for what they are; a good time, a good place and a good thing to pass on to our kids.

Currently, I'm a quality control inspector for Keymark Corp and work long hours for very little compensation or appreciation, but it keeps the bills paid and my passions funded. I'm trying to get into a shop building OHV's and pick up some land outside the park to set up an OHV park. Hopefully through this, I can help spread the appreciation I have for the land and show other 'wheelers that Treading Lightly can be applied to motor vehicles as well. In fact, I know of only one "tread heavy" park and anything to see there has been run over long ago. I'm also trying to find places within the park to practice my hobby and not wreck anything more that's already been lost.

I've been hiking almost as soon as I learned to walk and only been enjoying the Adirondacks since my parents moved us up here from south Georgia when I was 12. I do, though, have quite a few miles on Shank's Mare in other places: south Georgia, north Florida, Texas, Guam, Alaska, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and New Jersey.

I'm a veteran of the US Air Force, had a number of jobs I've performed poorly at and some I've done very well at. Sadly, I've done poorly at far more jobs than I've been successful with. But, it's helped me decide what I want to do with myself. Some may say that it's about time I figure it out. But I must point out that some people are far older than I before they find out what sort of living makes them happy.

Enough with the boring stuff. My daughter, Leah, is a ten year old girl who has had my heart since the day she was born. Her mother, I won't bore you with.

My girlfriend, Heather, at 26, is very new to the outdoors as are her children Zack (6), Melissa (5) and Shauny(4). Of the three, Zack has taken to the outdoors the quickest, but Shauny is the most enthusiastic. Melissa could probably take it or leave it regardless how many s'mores she gets to make. Zack is even trying to get his mom to let me take him winter camping this year; you know, get out and do "man stuff", as he puts it.

Those of you who've met and welcomed me already, I thank you. This is probably the warmest forum I've ever belonged to.

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to chew through the restraints.
Gomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #330
Justin

My non-backpacking friends!

Hey, I'm Justin, I'm 29, I've lived in Colonie, NY for my whole life, and I run my own Irrigation/Handyman Service company. My first time camping was when I was 6 months old. My father took me to Crane Pond in the Pharoah Lake Wilderness. Of course I don't remember it, but he tells the story every time we go camping. "Yep Just, I had ya strapped to the front of the canoe wid ya sittin' right there in the carseat!" -he'd always say.

My father and I would go all the time as I got older. We did alot of backpacking, mostly in that same area, but some other areas in the park as well. We never really hiked more than 5-7 miles whenever we went. We still go backpacking together once or twice a year, but he is getting older and can't do as much anymore.

My friends like to go camping, but they really don't like to go backpacking as much as I do. There are times when we do, but they are more happy to get a state site and tailgate it, or take the canoe somewhere, which is fun and all, but my true love is hitting the trail with my life on my back.

Ive only been backpacking a few times by myself, and I really don't prefer it. It is a totally different experience. Plus, my girlfriend REALLY does not like it when I go by myself, and she doesn't like to go camping at all.

So I'd like to meet some cool peolpe on this forum, and maybe meet some folks who'd like to go on backpacking trips. I would think I can't be the only person on this forum you has the same problem I do.

For example, this very week I tried to make plans to go on a trip, and all of my friends, as well as my old man, say they can't make it. Same ol' song and dance.

So let's go!! I'm very experienced, I love to fish, I'm polite, a bit shy but you'll see that I can make ya laugh. I love music, especially good music. I love baseball & football, I have a lifelong love of the ADKS, I have all my own year-round gear, I have 4-wheel drive, and I have a pack canoe, and a sevylor raft. I've been to alot of places, but there's still a bunch I want to go to, and life is getting shorter!

Some areas I can't seem to talk my friends into coming with me to are; West Canada Lakes, Cedars Lakes, Big Moose Lake and the Pigeon Lake Wilderness, T Lake & T Lake Falls, the trails by Floodwood Pond and Fish Creek Ponds, sections of the NPT, and some bushwacks like to the Metcalfs and to Northrup Lake in the West Canada Lake Wilderness.

I am not real good at climing mountains with a full pack, due to my not so great back, but I am strong, and dying to check out certain areas of the High Peaks.

So feel free to send a PM, and let's chat. Thanks for reading this---Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #331
Evergreen

Hey Everybody, I've been a member for awhile, but every time I come here there's such great and interesting stuff to read I never get around to posting. The forum is such a wealth of knowledge about my favorite subject....The ADK's. I've learned so much here and continue to drink in the knowledge. I'm on a little ADK history kick presently and the links, stories and info have been awesome, esp Dick's links. Thanks Dick and to all. When I'm reading this fascinating history and info on the Park, I'm wondering why i sat thru 12 yrs of school and no one mentioned any of this info about the amazing place I grew up. Or taught me how to use a map and compass, or which local herbs are useful, or the names and distances to peaks. The rich history and eternal beauty in my own backyard! Instead I had to listen to piles of information regarding skewed U.S. history...hhhmmm. I won't go down that road though.... I had to learn this stuff on my own and often wonder why it wasn't included in my education.

My name is Brenda, most people call me Bren. I currently live in Burlington, VT and have for the last several yrs where I work as an RN. I'm originally from the Adirondacks, Saranac Lake area, born and raised. I left to pursue education and ended up getting a job i really enjoy here in VT. I miss the ADK's daily and go there whenever I can and when I'm not there I am usually reading about it. Its a constant battle in my brain between loving my current job (environmental health nurse) and desperately wanting to live in the ADK's, even in the depths of winter when its -20. Vermont is nice but the magic is in the ADK's. One of the things that keeps me sane and the mountains close at heart is the view from over here. I get to see the mountains every day across the lake. Tides me over until the weekends when i go over to hike, paddle or just sit in the woods. I could write 20 pages on how sacred, unique, and awesome the Great North Woods are but I'd be preaching to the choir here.

THANX for such a great forum. You are a great group of people.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #332
Sheldon
Northern Hermit Wannabe

I'm in the forestry business, and I love being out in the woods. It is fun to climb up a mountain, and when you get to the top you see a whole different aspect of life around you. That is where the peace and the quiet spend their time, you are just joining them for a little while. You always look forward to going back again.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #333
don509

bio

I'm Don and I'm 51 . In the 60's I ran with the Boy Scouts and learned my basic woodsmanship skills and love of the hills. Dad was into it and though we lived in Westchester, NY, hiking and camping were part of the life. The
70's took me to college in south-central New Hampshire, where I stayed for a few years after school just because it was so incredible. We'd hop in the car and drive up to the Whites in mid-winter, find a place to park and climb up whatever hill looked big enough to kill us before we could park a tent in the snow, get a fire going and settle down. I've been in the East Village in NYC for the last 20 years, which just amazes me, considering the lack of the space I love. Been going to the Catskills and the Adirondacks with guys I grew up with every year for a very long time now. The Catskills were OK, but despite the extra car hours we've clearly favored the Adirondacks and hit the Loj campground most years. Now we all bring our kids, get a lean-to or use a tent, and do our best to teach them how to enjoy the outdoors. We used to carry it all up and camp at Indian Falls, but now we're pretty happy to do the tents at the bottom and day hike it up Mt. Marcy, (or Mt. Joe, depending on the weather and our energy level). We're there just about every Columbus Day weekend. Yes, I admit it, I am one of the herd. Moo.
don509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:26 PM   #334
bobrok

Question

Hi to all. First post here, just found this forum and signed right up.

Originally I am from Amsterdam, NY but have lived in the Rochester area for the last 30 or so years. I grew up playing in the southern Adirondacks (Wells, Great Sacandaga Lake, with many forays to Saratoga and Lake George) and always wanted to own a getaway cabin. My wife is from Watertown, NY and we have spent many, many a summer vacation with the kids in the 1000 islands area and often had the discussion about buying a lake cottage there. Well, after 15 or so years of giving in to her "cottage" lifestyle every summer she finally relented when the kids left home and we just bought a cabin in the heart of the Adirondacks. Let me tell you there is no comparison between cottaging on Lake Ontario and having a cabin at a mountain lake.
Life is good! Payback is for real!
I had spent the last 3-4 years looking for something private, affordable , located in the central Adirondacks and in the general area of the high peaks. I wanted to be away from the larger villages. I prefer to take a day to visit the the Tri Lakes area or Old Forge and then leave. Drove up summer and winter every time a realtor e-mailed me a new lead. It's not that I am anti-social. I own my own advertising business and interact all day every day with clients, suppliers, etc. I have never in the 25 years of owning my business had the luxury of taking time off without taking my business with me wherever I went, and so silence and privacy are very dear to me. Thus, location was more important than owning acreage and for our first venture we bought a lumber lease cabin for a good price. We are very private, off road, off the power grid, solar powered and sit on a 1-1/2 mile long lake with only 3 other cabins (only 2 of which we have found so far). Yeah, so I'll put up a directional rooftop antenna to get a better cell phone signal, but I think that will be my only cop-out to modern convenience, at least for the time being. Note: the dish on the roof is going on ebay as soon as I can get a ladder up there to take it down!

Well this is beginning to sound more like a blog than a forum post. I would like to hear from other off-grid type cabin-folk. You can also write if you have electric power; I won't get mad.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:43 PM   #335
Boreal Chickadee

Bobrok,
Sounds like you've found a gem of a location!
I used to stay in my siter-in-law's brother's house on an island in Maine that used solar panels for small halogen lighting and current. Propane for a refrigerator, stove and hot water. Composting toilet in the house. It was actaully quite luxurious. Of course you couldn't beat sleeping twenty feet from the ocean.

The thousand islands are pretty but nothing like the Adirondacks
Old 01-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #336
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

Hi Chickadee,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, indeed, you have the right idea. We have a solar panel and storage battery system and use a power inverter to convert to ac in order to power the compact fluorescent lighting and outlets. Evidently the solar array puts out enough wattage to power the satelite dish and receiver left by the former owners, and they have a 20 gallon electric hot water heater. The realtor who showed the cabin told us of someone she knows who runs an air conditioner off of his solar system. That sounds like quite a big setup. There is also a redundant propane interior lighting system as well so we can use either depending upon available solar. I really like this feature because that creates a real nice mood light. We have a propane apartment size stove/oven and there is an old propane refrigerator but I am not using it because of concern over carbon monoxide poisoning associated with this type of appliance and many of the older units are under manufacturers' recall. I will have a battery powered co2 detector on at all times for safety's sake.

A forum search didn't turn up much on the subject of off-grid cabins, so if warranted perhaps a new thread can be started? I would be interested in anyone's tips and experiences.

Next trip up in 2 weeks if possible.

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #337
Boreal Chickadee

Bobrok,

What a great setup! After staying at the house in Maine, and it was a true two story house, I always thought that if I could ever get a weekend place in the Adirondacks I'd be willing to try a solar/propane house system. They also used four marine storage batteries(kept in the basement) to store the solar energy before conversion to AC. So much sun on the Maine coast it was a very good workable system. the composting toilet was a challenge if someone stayed there who didn't know what would or wouldn't work. liek, if you're on antibiotics, you cna't use the toilet. Well, you can, but don't expect it to compost properly.

Again, what lucky dogs you are to have found your cabin. I'm assuming that's it in your avatar and it looks great! Winter is a fantastic time to get up to the Adirondacks. So peaceful. I love the seemingly quiet, and yet so busy woods, with the chatter of of birds and critters if you watch and listen. Enjoy these special trips!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #338
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

Oh I intend to enjoy as much as I can. I'm slowly weaning myself off of work and easing into retirement, although I still have a few years left. Perhaps I'll once again be able to enjoy the outdoors, as you so seem to do (been reading your other posts).

Talk about sun on the Maine coast, I've about had it with the lack of same here in WNY during the winter months. I have an idea that there is more winter sunshine in the Adirondacks than there is here and I want to see for myself. If it ever starts snowing I may even drag my old long unused x/c skis out of mothballs and bring them. We could always bring our bikes. Last year my wife and I brought them when we went to look at a piece of property. How nice it was to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n and enjoy the environment rather than driving around everywhere.

I read your post about the Finger lakes trail and have often thought about investigating this. There is an entrance spur very near to where we live.

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #339
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrok View Post
Hi Chickadee,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, indeed, you have the right idea. We have a solar panel and storage battery system and use a power inverter to convert to ac in order to power the compact fluorescent lighting and outlets. Evidently the solar array puts out enough wattage to power the satelite dish and receiver left by the former owners, and they have a 20 gallon electric hot water heater. The realtor who showed the cabin told us of someone she knows who runs an air conditioner off of his solar system. That sounds like quite a big setup. There is also a redundant propane interior lighting system as well so we can use either depending upon available solar. I really like this feature because that creates a real nice mood light. We have a propane apartment size stove/oven and there is an old propane refrigerator but I am not using it because of concern over carbon monoxide poisoning associated with this type of appliance and many of the older units are under manufacturers' recall. I will have a battery powered co2 detector on at all times for safety's sake.

A forum search didn't turn up much on the subject of off-grid cabins, so if warranted perhaps a new thread can be started? I would be interested in anyone's tips and experiences.

Next trip up in 2 weeks if possible.
We also have a place off the grid,seems we go to bed early and get up early alot.But check out Lehmans for Amish off the grid stuff.They also have a alternative energy catalog. Lehmans.com Try to get the catalog mailed to you, its wondeful.
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #340
Zan
Walker Errant

I never noticed this before. I would have introduced myself sooner.

Howdy! I'm Jeffrey, 27, orginally from Holland Patent, NY. I'm a product of two zany grandfathers, one filled with vigor and laughter--just hitting his 81st birthday and still cooking at his midnight breakfast restaurant in Rome, NY while my grandma waits tables! If you're ever in Rome check this place out! JRmothers. It's a regional gem. My other grandpa has passed. I mention these two blokes because they introduced me to the world of wilderness and the world of wisdom--two elements that are strongly united and interest me the most! They molded me into an old soul from some long forgotten age, but I'm still lacking a pack of wisdom and look forward to the day where I can pass my life on to my grandkids. (that's probably the strongest reason why I wish to curb our current environmental struggles)

I was stung by the natural world when my grandpa threw me in his car when I was ten and drove me on up to Alaska and back starting in Rome, NY. Little did I know he would soon die of lung cancer...(he did have thirty cartons of unfiltered philip morris' in the trunk for the trip!) Since then, the urge to be in the "woods" has never left me. I finished school a few years back and have since been working trails in Yosemite, the Trinity Alps, Yellowstone and Minnesota through various conservation corps as well as a season as a "paramilitary" employee at North Cascades National Park. I'm currently entering my second season at Rocky Mountain National Park and am working on master's in Environmental Studies.

There is so much to disclose and so many details left out, but alas, this is a community forum and not my personal autobiography. I'll be up in the high peaks training for the summer. Out of all the remote places I have been, the ADK's can be the most brutal and consistently kick my arse!

Nice to meet yee all.

--Chief Seattle
Zan is offline   Reply With Quote