Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2003, 11:12 PM   #1
Trailpatrol

Backcountry Skiing

Has anyone else read the article in this month's Backcountry Magazine on BC skiing in the Northeast, includig the Adks and the Greens?

If not, you can check it out at:
http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/i...ew&f=/ADK.html

Enjoy!
Hans
Old 12-16-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
Trailpatrol

Question How's this?

How's this for up-to-the-minute information on the High Peaks from somebody a mere 1200 miles away?

Backcountry Conditions:

Snow Depth at Lake Colden: 24"
Snow Depth at 4,000 ft.: 4-5 feet
Surface Conditions: powder
Comments: Mid-winter conditions prevail. Everything skiable. Lake ice generally safe on Avalanche and Colden, but avoid inlets and outlets. Trail breaking is very slow. NOTE: Ausable Lake road will not be skiable for at least several more weeks. Due to the ongoing reconstruction of the Lower Lake dam, the road will be plowed and sanded. NOTE WELL: Ski or snowshoes are now required for any backcounty travel in the High Peaks

Actually, I snarffled it from a link I found on the Mountaineer's excellent website!

Ski on, forever!
Hans
Old 12-18-2003, 02:22 PM   #3
DLHiker

I've always hiked and snow-shoed. The extent of my skiing has been down hill. I really want to learn backcountry skiing, but find myself at a loss about where to start.

I've heard that Fischer rebaounds are suberb for ADK highpeaks. The bigger issue I ahve are the boots. At some point in the hihg peaks you kick off the skis and strat hiking, right? Skins or not, you don't ski up the side of Haystack, or do you? What kinds of boots serve well shen it is time to hike?

Maybe, I ahve it all wrong. I'm open to being educated!

Ron
DLHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:42 PM   #4
Kevin
**BANNED**

Re: How's this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Trailpatrol

Actually, I snarffled it from a link I found on the Mountaineer's excellent website!
Which link would that be?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
Trailpatrol

Links

Click on "Backcountry Skifest 2004" and then at the bottom of that page is "http://www.adirondackbackcountryskiing.com" Click on that, and then click on "Ski Report" Simple enough?

Hans
Trailpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:53 PM   #6
hillman1
skiing demi-god

They scarfed it from

http://www.lakeplacid.com/flash/whattodo/z-xc_cond.htm

my favorite winter site.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:59 PM   #7
JimB

DLHiker, I've done lots of winter peaks with ski approaches. What works really well for me is NNNBC bindings with Alpina BC 600 ski boots. They are insulated, synthetic leather boots that look just like a hiking boot with a bar in the front to lock into the binding. They are quite warm and waterproof. They are older and are probably not made anymore, but there are very similar boots available from Alpina, Salomon, and others.

They also work very well with my snowshoes and crampons. Or I can just bareboot in them. This way I have good control with my skis and comfortable footwear during the climbing stages.

What we usually do is ski to the beginning of the climb with our snowshoes and crampons on our pack and stash our skis. Snowshoes are usually enough to get to the summit, though I have switched to crampons a few times. After our return to the skis, we put them back on and enjoy the glide back out.

A few highly recommended trips are: South side trail from the Garden to Upper or Lower Wolfjaws, anything from the Lake Rd at St. Huberts, and the Flowed Lands via Calamity Brook. I would be glad to elaborate.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:34 AM   #8
Trailpatrol

ADK Classes

Quote:
Originally posted by DLHiker
I've always hiked and snow-shoed. The extent of my skiing has been down hill. I really want to learn backcountry skiing, but find myself at a loss about where to start.

Maybe, I have it all wrong. I'm open to being educated! Ron
Ron,

Go to "www.adk.org" and check out these course offerings:

Adirondack Mountain Club
Skiing Workshops

Introduction to Backcountry Skiing in the High Peaks
January 10, 2004 • Adirondak Loj/Field
Are you a cross country skiers who wishes to move out of groomed cross-country ski areas, develop your technique, and expand your experience into the backcountry on varied terrain? Then this is the course for you! Some cross-country ski experience is recommended.

FEE: $45/$50; includes instruction only.

Introduction to Telemark Skiing
January 31, 2004 • Adirondak Loj/Field

Looking to free your heel? This course will give you a chance to strengthen both your hill climbing and descending techniques off-slope and provide the basics for learning the exciting telemark turn, which is "sweeping" the ski scene nationwide. It helps have some cross-country and/or downhill skiing experience. ADK's Advanced Telemark Trek on February 7th is a great follow-up course to this class!

FEE: $45/$50; includes instruction only.

Personally, I have always been a 3-pin, 75mm binding fan. I asked Santa for some new Karhu or Garmont ski moutaineering boots for Christmas, both of which can be used with snowshoes or for hiking. (Vibram soles) I also have a pair of very wide skis (85mm shovel) for deep wilderness travel and camping, with Berwin bindings on them that can be used with pac boots or mukluks, but for the type skiing found in the Adk. backcountry and Tug Hill, I have used 3-pin with great success.

Check out what they are offering for rent at Adirondack Loj. That is where I first found out about Trak Bushwackers (Actually, Pete Fish suggested I rent them there.) and whatever they're renting since Trak folded into Karhu and stopped production should be great for the backcountry out there. Best of all, you can try and then buy if you like them.

Ski safe,
Hans
Old 04-06-2004, 10:04 PM   #9
rnc1968
BackToBasics

Lightbulb Southern Adirondacks Cross-Country Backcountry

Back To basics offers some neat X-C trails.

http://www.gobacktothebasics.com
rnc1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:53 AM   #10
skimorebumps

JimB
I would be interested in more info on those trips. Really would like to try a couple in the ADK this year.
skimorebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:53 PM   #11
JimB

skimorebumps, I mentioned these trips because they are fun and doable without serious (read$$) backcountry equipment. We have done these trips with light touring equipment without metal edges and found them fun when the conditions are right. We have the heavier gear, but sometimes fast and light just kicks butt .It helps to have boots that will fit your snowshoes and crampons so you can carry a lighter pack and be more manueverable. If you're not familiar with these areas check out the ADK guide book for more info. The lake road in St. Huberts is usually great skiing and is a moderate grade that gives you great access to many of the High Peaks. The Southside trail is from the Garden trailhead near Keene Valley and is a little tougher but still very skiable with only a couple of walking sections till you reach the major climbing. Calamity Brook into Flowed Lands is fun but requires a little better gear and/or skills. The great part of these trips is the kick and glide back to the car at the end of your day .
Old 11-29-2004, 07:04 PM   #12
skimorebumps

Thanks for the info
skimorebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
Flatrock

This thread is maybe a little stale, but to update Trailpatrol's gear guide, the Trak Bushwacker is a great wide backcountry ski, but my pair doesn't have metal edges, which limits their durability somewhat. You occasionally see them used on Ebay. A better alternative would be the Karhu Catamount which has the same profile, but less camber and a wood (vs foam) core and full metal edges. Catamounts are even harder to find than Bushwackers, but worth the effort. The current incarnation is the Karhu Orion. Same great ski. I use NNN-BC bindings and boots, but a 75mm 3-pin arrangement is just as good (maybe better, according to "pinheads.")

If you're into waxing, I would recommend the Asnes U.S. military surplus skis you can get at Coleman's Surplus for about $35 a pair. Narrower and longer than the Catamount and just about the perfect all-around backcountry ski.