Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

DEC Announces Interim Access Plan for Boreas Ponds Tract

This is an excerpt from an email sent by the DEC today. See full details on the DEC website.

DEC has developed an Interim Access Plan for the Boreas Ponds Tract which identifies specific areas available for public access while providing for protection of the natural resources of the area and the rights still held by The Nature Conservancy and its lessees. The Interim Access Plan does not have any bearing on the future land classification of the tract currently in development and does not prejudge what access and uses will be allowed in the future. (emphasis added)

Additional access opportunities identified in the Interim Access Plan includes:
  • 3.2 miles of motor vehicle access on the Gulf Brook Road;
  • 6.7 miles of roadway open to bicycling from Blue Ridge Road to the Boreas Ponds Dam; and
  • Approximately 25 miles of seven roadways open to horse and horse drawn wagons.
  • Paddlers will be able to access Boreas Pond and other waterways by carrying their canoes and kayaks 2.5 miles from the gate on Gulf Brook Road to LaBier Flow and then another 0.5 mile between the flow and Boreas Pond.
All roadways and lands are open to hiking, hunting, trapping, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing except for one-acre around the leased camps.

All of the lands are open to camping provided campsites are more than 150 feet from any roadway or body of water, but at this time no specific tent sites have been designated.

DEC and the town of North Hudson have established a total of eight parking areas:
  • Three year-round parking areas along the Blue Ridge Road at the entrances to Sand Pond Road, Gulf Brook Road, and Ragged Mountain Road. (these are the only parking areas designated for parking horse trailers);
  • Two year-round parking areas designated along the Elk Lake Road for anglers, hunters, trappers, and others; and,
  • Three seasonal parking areas designated along Gulf Brook Road which will not be available from the beginning of winter through the end of the spring mud season.
In addition, public parking will be allowed on any point along Blue Ridge Road or Elk Lake Road except where parked vehicles will block a roadway or gate. There are several miles of suitable public parking along Blue Ridge Road.

Lease holders will have the right to drive motor vehicles, ATVs and snowmobiles on Gulf Brook Road, Trout Pond Road, White Lily Pond Road, and Ragged Mountain Road.
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Thinking of maybe carting a canoe in there this weekend for another GoPro video... If I'm reading the fishing regs correctly baitfish is prohibited but worms are ok?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

The view from a canoe sounds awesome. And the fact that you were even able to FIND the fishing regs is impressive. I've gotten good with finding and sorting through the many hiking and camping regs for state land and the High Peaks, and can only imagine that the water use/fishing regs are just as comprehensive.

P.S. Really enjoy your videos!
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
MTVhike

Is this effective immediately (other than use of facilities not yet created)? So that I could now bike along Gulf Brook road?
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmonster View Post
...P.S. Really enjoy your videos!
Thanks Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
So I could now bike along Gulf Brook road?
I got in trouble the last time I tried to answer this question, but one way to find out would be to drive by & see if the first gate has been opened, or you can always call the DEC headquarters in Ray Brook to speak with someone in charge for clarification like I did the last time, but it may take a few days for them to get back to you.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thinking of maybe carting a canoe in there this weekend for another GoPro video... If I'm reading the fishing regs correctly baitfish is prohibited but worms are ok?
I caught one thin brookie there on the classic Lake Clear Wobbler and a worm.

I believe you are reading the Essex County fishing regs correctly:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31443.html
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
MTVhike

I just heard John Warren's broadcast on "trail conditions in the Adirondacks this weekend" and he said that these temporary regulations ARE in effect now and, in fact, he specifically suggested people biking in to Boreas Pond to avoid crowds in the more popular areas.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Justin
Moving along

I drove by yesterday (Fri) at 7:30am and the gate wasn't open yet.
I drove by again today (Sat) at 9:30am and it was open.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Tabe

We got there yesterday at 10:30 and the gate was open but we parked there and headed out on bikes.1st ride of the season but seemed like a lot of climbing,maybe it was just my lack of bike conditioning.But the way out was pretty fun and fast.Not much to see until the 1st flow and the dam.Locked the bikes and went whackin',damn those woods are thick!
Tabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #10
TCD

I was bushwhacking in there last week. For an enjoyable trip, you have to find and follow some of the old forest roads that criss-cross the woods.

I found the area unremarkable. Not much to see; just more woods. The only feature that makes this parcel unique is the road. I'm glad that the road will be put to use at least for now, rather than destroyed.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
Justin
Moving along

I noticed that they did a lot more tree cutting & clearing near the first gate since my last visit, with lots of big piles of dirt & crushed stone where the smaller parking area used to be...almost like they intend to construct a bigger parking area there near the first gate before they close the road again....hopefully.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #12
Tabe

I can't believe they're ever going to close the road totally,the new parking lot at the 2nd gate is Huuuge and has seen a ton of work.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
...,the new parking lot at the 2nd gate is Huuuge and has seen a ton of work.
Interesting.
I'm curious as to what type of work..?
When I was first there back in early May there was already a large existing clearing at the second gate, which I immediately thought would make an ideal parking area.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #14
Tabe

Huge lot with a lot of clipped back brush,big fist size gravel chunks which were hard to ride thru but was packing down under tire tracks.My estimate is you could put 25 cars easily in there.Why do this to not use it.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #15
ADKxplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Huge lot with a lot of clipped back brush,big fist size gravel chunks which were hard to ride thru but was packing down under tire tracks.My estimate is you could put 25 cars easily in there.Why do this to not use it.
Agreed...I was in there today and you can easily put 25-30 cars in that parking area, all fresh gravel, plus what looks like two more unfinished lots before it that look like they will hold another 15-20 cars each....in no way is this 'Interim'
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #16
bluequill

I was there today and the 2nd parking lot at the locked gate is HUGE. My guess is that they are going to accommodate for horse trailers. They were also doing a lot of earth and gravel moving at the first gate. I biked in from the first gate and the ride was uneventful but the view from the ponds is quite nice. Better from a canoe me thinks. Maybe next year.

Seems to me that they have already come up with a plan.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #17
Bounder45

Lol! Justin really wants that road gated off i guess.

However it turns out, the area will be just fine, road or no road.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Lol! Justin really wants that road gated off i guess.
I don't really understand the above the post, but just to be clear... Yes, as I've mentioned numerous times in other discussions on this topic, I openly admit that I am in favor of a Wilderness classification for the entire tract, however I'm not against allowing motorized access up to the second gate. Seems like a pretty fair compromise to me, and I understand that others may disagree.
-Justin
Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #19
Bark Eater Too

We had a wonderful trip into the ponds on Sept. 12. About 8-10 cars in the "upper lot", just prior to the closed gate. Nice walk into the ponds. Several others on bikes. Spectacular scenery once there. Chatted with fellow forum member Dave Burke. Ran into the DEC doing a beaver census in the swampy area below the ponds. On the way out they were installing a trail register at the upper lot. "Interim plans" typically last for years in the Adirondacks. Fun place. We will be back!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #20
Buckladd

This group is calling for much broader access to Boreas:
https://accessadk.com/index.html
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote