Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Carnivorous Plants in the ADKs!

Yes, there are carnivorous plants in the Adirondacks. While flipping through an ADK wildflower field guide, I discovered that the Northern Pitcher Plant makes its home here. I was out on a camping trip over the weekend and discovered some. As soon as I figure out how to resize my digital photos, I took a couple of pics that I'm pretty proud of, I'll post them on this thread. I don't want to give away the location because it is pretty remote, but I will say that they grow only in sphagnum moss bogs. If anyone has any idea how I can resize the pics (I have iphoto on my mac) please let me know.
-GG
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Yes, there are carnivorous plants in the Adirondacks. While flipping through an ADK wildflower field guide, I discovered that the Northern Pitcher Plant makes its home here. I was out on a camping trip over the weekend and discovered some. As soon as I figure out how to resize my digital photos, I took a couple of pics that I'm pretty proud of, I'll post them on this thread. I don't want to give away the location because it is pretty remote, but I will say that they grow only in sphagnum moss bogs. If anyone has any idea how I can resize the pics (I have iphoto on my mac) please let me know.
-GG
GG, we had never heard of pitcher plants being in the Adirondacks until today, when we read through a lean-to register at Millman Pond (east of Lake George). Someone posted having seen these plants (we didn't see any, though). Coincidentally, your post is the second reference we've seen - two references in one day! I checked and found that they are indeed in the Adirondacks. Looking forward to your pics!

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
marzrw

Check out the photography thread with Gary Dean, he is very knowledgeable and someonr I believe brought up Macs in that thread. Pitcher plants are cool, I have seen them.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Boreal Chickadee

Sundew can also be found in the bogs of the Adirondacks. Look for it on logs submerged at the shores of acidic ponds. A real meat-eater
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I took pictures pitcher plants a couple of years ago up at Buckhorn lake in Piseco and yes they are in a spaghum moss bog on the West Side of the lake.

Beautiful plant!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #6
KevynJJ
Beer Drinkin' Mtn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
-GG
Here's a pict I took at Silver Lake Bog. There is a board walk over the bog, so the public can enjoy the bog with out causing damage to the fragile habitat.

-Kev
Old 05-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #7
KevynJJ
Beer Drinkin' Mtn Man

Speaking of plants, keep an eye on the ground for the spring ephemerals. The flowering plants I have seen so far have been .. Dutchman's Breeches, Red, White, and Painted Trillium, Bluets, Hepatica, Spring Beauty, Wild Strawberry, Bellwort, Bloodroot, and Pink Lady Slipper. It's been a relatively cold spring, so the flowers are having a slow start.

-Kev
Old 05-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #8
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Pics

Alright, I'm attempting to post the photos. If nothing appears, I guess i messed up!
Old 05-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #9
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Cool, it worked. Here's another, slightly better shot. I'm pretty proud of this shot, though it is harder to appreciate when scaled back.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
AdkWiley

in the new adirondack life issue there is an article on teh pitcher plants, good read, its either in the june or teh 2005 guide to teh outdoors edition. oh and does anyone knwo what type of flower i saw , it looks liek apainted trilium but its white with a pinkish hue on the very inside of the petals. i dont have a great wildflower book, ihtink its older than my grandparents. hmm maybe i should upgrade haha - wiley
AdkWiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #11
KevynJJ
Beer Drinkin' Mtn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkWiley
in the new adirondack life issue there is an article on teh pitcher plants, good read, its either in the june or teh 2005 guide to teh outdoors edition. oh and does anyone knwo what type of flower i saw , it looks liek apainted trilium but its white with a pinkish hue on the very inside of the petals. i dont have a great wildflower book, ihtink its older than my grandparents. hmm maybe i should upgrade haha - wiley
Sounds like a painted trillium to me. 3 whole, whorled leaves and 3 flower parts. White petals with pink on the inside.

-Kev
Old 05-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #12
redhawk

Pitcher Plant at Buckhorn Lake

Whats not to like??

Beautiful and it eats black flies and other bugs:
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 05-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #13
redhawk

Another view of a Northern Pitcher Plant

A better view for identification
Old 05-30-2005, 09:45 PM   #14
swizzlenutz
Professional Bottle Digger

Sundew's in the Adirondacks?!?

Do they look like this? I also threw in another pitcher plant flower. Strangely beautiful. You gotta love it. I've seen the pitcher plants on several adirondack lakes. I've only seen the sundews on one lake. I hope these pics uploaded alright and I hope you enjoy them. Swiz
swizzlenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:08 PM   #15
Boreal Chickadee

yes, your first three shots are of sundew
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:34 PM   #16
swizzlenutz
Professional Bottle Digger

Glad to see they came out. Thanx for the reply. Jason
swizzlenutz is offline   Reply With Quote