Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Tick Magnet

Posting .jpeg photos

I'm back in the woods after a couple months as a counselor at nerd camp and discovered that I can no longer post .jpeg images to my trip reports.

Did something change in the way the forum handles attachments? It still allows me to upload the .jpeg, but it doesn't display them.

Prior to this summer, I've always used MS Paint to resize my photos down to a max of 700 pixels and added a text box. They've uploaded no problems.

I know, the best way is to link them on a photo sharing website. If that's the only way to show picts, that's too bad. I'm not a social media person and probably won't get an account just for posting on the ADK Forum.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TM
Old 08-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Neil
Kayak-46

H= 1024 and W= 768 are the max allowable pixel size for a .jpg uploaded to the forum.

File size max = 146 k

Verify the dimensions and size of your files.

IIRC Picasa allows you to store up to one Terrabyte (that's a lot of pictures!) of data on their server for free. You can use it simply as a repository for your pics without availing yourself to any of the "social" aspects.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
H= 1024 and W= 768 are the max allowable pixel size for a .jpg uploaded to the forum.

File size max = 146 k

IIRC Picasa allows you to store up to one Terrabyte (that's a lot of pictures!) of data on their server for free. You can use it simply as a repository for your pics without availing yourself to any of the "social" aspects.
If I'm not mistaken, if yo use any of the "free" sites you give them permission to use your photos for whatever purposed they require. I can't remember the site but years ago I was using one. Everything was fine at the beginning and then it changed hands. A new "users agreement" was posted but I didn't bother to read it (DUMB!!). Not too long after I saw an ad for a coffee mug with a nice picture on it,MINE!!. When I bitched about it they pointed out that it was in the posted terms of service buried in with a lot of other stuff and in language that a lawyer would have a hard time decipering, but there none the less. So I closes my account, but they could still use my photos if they chose too.

Maybe not a big deal, but I wasn't crazy about the way they went about it. You can always watermark your pictures too so that your name is on them. But you need to do it in a way that they can't crop the name out. Of course they can always airbrush it out too but that's a lot of trouble.

Just a word to wise.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Tick Magnet

Thanks Neil and Redhawk!

It was the file size. Compressed them and all was right with the world.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:

File size max = 146 k

Neil,
Is this the same for Avatar photos?
And for what its worth, I also use Picasa, and have had no troubles.
Most of my photos on there are all from the Adirondacks. Most are public, some are private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
If I'm not mistaken, if yo use any of the "free" sites you give them permission to use your photos for whatever purposed they require. I can't remember the site but years ago I was using one. Everything was fine at the beginning and then it changed hands. A new "users agreement" was posted but I didn't bother to read it (DUMB!!). Not too long after I saw an ad for a coffee mug with a nice picture on it,MINE!!. When I bitched about it they pointed out that it was in the posted terms of service buried in with a lot of other stuff and in language that a lawyer would have a hard time decipering, but there none the less. So I closes my account, but they could still use my photos if they chose too.

Maybe not a big deal, but I wasn't crazy about the way they went about it. You can always watermark your pictures too so that your name is on them. But you need to do it in a way that they can't crop the name out. Of course they can always airbrush it out too but that's a lot of trouble.

Just a word to wise.
Hawk,
Thanks for the info.
Makes you think twice about what you put out there publicly for free and untagged.
I once saw one of my photos on an Adirondack video through facebook. At first I was bothered that I wasn't even asked, but it was all Adirondack related, and free, and they were all really nice photos, so I didn't mind, and actually felt a bit honored afterwards to be apart of the slide show along with so many great photographs.
I'd love to see some of your photography sometime.
Is there anywhere we may be able to see some of your adventures?

Last edited by Justin; 08-20-2014 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: typo
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Neil
Kayak-46

Avatar pics may be up to 200 x 200 pixels but the file size must be no greater than 97.7 k. Not sure why the .7 but that's what the software came up with when I set the size to 200 x 200.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Avatar pics may be up to 200 x 200 pixels but the file size must be no greater than 97.7 k. Not sure why the .7 but that's what the software came up with when I set the size to 200 x 200.
Ok thanks.
Now to find a new avatar.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Neil,
Is this the same for Avatar photos?
And for what its worth, I also use Picasa, and have had no troubles.
Most of my photos on there are all from the Adirondacks. Most are public, some are private.

Hawk,
Thanks for the info.
Makes you think twice about what you put out there publicly for free and untagged.
I once saw one of my photos on an Adirondack video through facebook. At first I was bothered that I wasn't even asked, but it was all Adirondack related, and free, and they were all really nice photos, so I didn't mind, and actually felt a bit honored afterwards to be apart of the slide show along with so many great photographs.
I'd love to see some of your photography sometime.
Is there anywhere we may be able to see some of your adventures?
I have all of my photos on my network drive. I don't use any online services at all. And I shoot so many, sometimes 10-12 shots of the same thing that for many it might be boring. My pictures are my journal, and this may sound strange, but they feel personal. I've never been one to put out the photos and say "Look where I've been" It's very un-Indian. Also I am hardly ever in any of them. I've got 10,107 pictures in 364 folders and I think I might be in 20 of them.
I like to link my pictures as well as trip reports to Topo! In that way I can make the trip again and again and again.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote