Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2005, 09:49 PM   #41
Cougardaville

sorry another hoax....it is a mule deer not a white tail. and photo enhanced!
Cougardaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #42
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougardaville
sorry another hoax....it is a mule deer not a white tail. and photo enhanced!
which one?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #43
marzrw

Have actually been to Hornell numerous times as our son attended Alfred University a shart distance from Hornell. We stayed at the Economy Lodge in Hornell. There is a good pub for grub and beer. It would have been neat to sea a Lion, if I knew they were there. Only saw locals and college kids though. Actually, the whole way out to Alfred is hills and country on all sides. It seems this was a hoax, but believe it or not, this is a very wild area mixed in with towns that could harbor any animal. Saw too numerous amounts of deer and turkeys over the course of 4 years. The locals must do well hunting.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #44
marzrw

By the way, last weekend saw a new show on bigfoot. Seems he's not only in the Pacific Northwest, but also now in Ohio. Actually, the show was kind of quite credible, so who knows about lions, tigers, and bears, and such. As more populated and spread out into the suburbs and Adirondacks the developing expands, the wild animals have to co-exist as well. Who knows? My brother and others have seen lions in Vermont and elsewhere locally.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #45
Ryan C-Chris

I attended Alfred State for 2 years, which is directly across the street from Alfred U. I used to go in the woods there all the time and saw all kinds of wildlife...deer especially. The deer would actually walk down the sidewalks on campus. Other animals that I would see in the woods on a regular basis were racoons, fox, skunk, porcupine, squirrels, chimpmunks, and birds. But, I never saw any signs of a big cat in those hills, though it would've been cool. They only are really big hills there, no real mountanous areas that I can really recall.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #46
KevynJJ
Beer Drinkin' Mtn Man

Here is a cougar picture that I took. Certainly not in the Adks (nor in the wild for that matter). Darn cute!

-Kev

Last edited by KevynJJ; 04-07-2005 at 11:42 PM..
KevynJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #47
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C-Chris
I attended Alfred State for 2 years, which is directly across the street from Alfred U. I used to go in the woods there all the time and saw all kinds of wildlife...deer especially. The deer would actually walk down the sidewalks on campus. Other animals that I would see in the woods on a regular basis were racoons, fox, skunk, porcupine, squirrels, chimpmunks, and birds. But, I never saw any signs of a big cat in those hills, though it would've been cool. They only are really big hills there, no real mountanous areas that I can really recall.
I have a few buddies that went to Al U for college. I remember going down to the area to visit them and hang out a few weekends way back when. I must admit, I saw some pretty strange things during those weekends

Never saw any mountains lions though, a few foxes perhaps, but no lions.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:01 AM   #48
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

I work for a small town below Ithaca that is all backroads. Two years ago this retired game warden game in tat we were good friens with and his face was a white as a sheet, I asked him what was wrong and he said you are not going to believe what I saw , He said a pair of mountion lions crossed in front of me this morning, After see the way he was shaking I believe him , Because two days later the boss and I were checking roads an they crossed in front of us, there was no mistaing what they were
they are around
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:52 PM   #49
ADKPike

Zoiks

That is very scary. Cool but, scary.
ADKPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #50
Cougardaville

Hi, Have not been here in a while I am looking for Mt. Lions sighted in specfic counties. I am wondering if you people can help out? Allegany, and Steuben? Livestock is being killed or injured. All Sightings are important to me, get in touch.

http://www.Trackincats.com THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #51
Cougardaville

Here are some local reports you may not have seen this one is very scary and VERY TRUE
http://www.tiogapublishing.com/artic...ews/news01.txt
Old 09-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #52
kingof14ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00
Otherwise it could just be a pretty kitty picture taken in CO or something where cougars stroll by houses all the time.
Although more common out here, you'd be surprised still how elusive they are. All the times I've hiked solo and have never seen one yet I may have been seen by them.....MAWOOHAAHAAHAA! The chances of getting hit by a bolt of lightning believe it or not are by far greater.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #53
Rivet
Likes to hike

another sighting

This was in the front page of the Albany Times Union...

article link

Quote:
WESTERLO -- On Labor Day, Tom and Bev Calistri were returning from an outing when they saw something puzzling at the end of their rural road. Sitting there on the edge of the pavement, gnawing on some food in the tall grass, was a strong, sleek cat.
The animal stared at the couple in their car, not moving while Tom Calistri snapped off two shots with his digital camera. Then the feline slinked off into the woods.

That day, the Calistris joined a growing group of Hilltowns residents who are convinced they have seen mountain lions living and prowling in the area.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:34 PM   #54
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

That is a very intriguing photo- the shape of the cat's body tells me 'bobcat', and yet there appears to be a long tail touching the ground. Don't know what to make of it.......
Old 09-13-2005, 10:49 PM   #55
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Don't know if anyone here has been keeping tabs on what looks like a migration eastward of mountain lions. There also may be a small population moving down from eastern Canada, though that remains to be seen. I don't personally believe we have any lions at present, but we may in the future. According to a prominent biologist, Maurice Hornocker: "Lions will hit the Mississippi in the next decade. The East and Midwest is beautiful cat country, full of deer and cover."

See attached:

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/Queb...orrections.htm
Old 09-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #56
fvrwld

I originally posted this just over a year ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld
Almost 3 years ago I was up in a tree stand in Berne NY(southern Albany county) and I saw a big black cat. I couldn't believe my eyes!! It was probably about the size of a large dog,muscular sleek and stealthy with a long tail. I was high up in the tree and it was unaware of my presence for a while. What I thought was so amazing about it was completely silent. Everything else in the woods you usually hear before seeing. It was about 20-30yards in front of me moving cross wind on a stone fence.. As soon as it got downwind of me he looked right at me and then jumped off the fence and headed away from me. I wish I had a camera instead of a bow that day. Upon returning to the landowners house he too said he had seen the mountain lion. I waited untill after hunting season to contact the DEC. Two DEC biologists tried to convince me I had seen something else but I know what I saw. This past winter at the Grafton winterfest the DEC biologist did admit that there were mountain lions locally in NYS
It is now 4 years ago that I saw it. In all the pics I see the cougars are a light tan but the one I saw was definately black. Is that a different species?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 PM   #57
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

That is a very interesting sighting, one that I would probably give my left arm to see myself! It's also very hard to explain since my understanding is that the mountain lion in North America never has a black coloration- apparently this is found occasionally in S. America, but even there, very rarely.

Of course, we've all heard of "black panthers", but that name refers to the (rare) melanistic coloration of the African leopard, so that's no help either.......

Alot of biologists believe that any large wild cats of this size and coloration in the East are most likely escaped (or released) animals of the type described above that were held as pets at one time. That may be the answer here, since there are no "native" wild animals here of that type and coloration.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #58
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

To further clarify my post in answer to your question- there is no species of black panther or cat. When it occurs (very rare), it is always a color variation of either the African/Asian leopard or S. American mt. lion. These rare variations may be called "black panthers", but they are NOT a separate species.......
Old 09-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #59
AdkWiley

My one professor has told me of a few times hes seen a lions den or has had one come out of the woods in front of him on the upper osgood by meacham lake. He acts and talks like it would be a normal sighting for himself and i've heard a few other professors talk of them as well.
AdkWiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 PM   #60
AdkWiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld
I originally posted this just over a year ago.

It is now 4 years ago that I saw it. In all the pics I see the cougars are a light tan but the one I saw was definately black. Is that a different species?
I just moved from berne and i have heard people talking that they have seen mountian lions in the area. I myself havent seen any but i would love to!
AdkWiley is offline   Reply With Quote