Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Gman

Les Stroud (Survivorman) Bigfoot Special

Anyone see Les Stroud's Bigfoot special yet? Part 1 was on Canadian TV last night. I'm not a believer in Bigfoot but Les may have opened the door a wee crack. Part 2 is on next week.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Big Foot?

I take a size 15 boot and trying to find much selection in my size is like trying to find the mythical monster .
Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Justin

I've been hearing about the Survivorman-Bigfoot episodes for a couple years now, but still haven't seen anything here in the US regarding the air dates. Apparently, it was spawned from an episode of 'Survivorman' that was filmed in Alaska, and when Les had the cameras turned off he heard what he described as an ape like creature in the trees near his camp, or something to that effect when he talked about it on one of his "Best of" episodes. Funny how he never even mentioned that strange encounter in the Alaska episode. Usually he always shares those odd little moments while in the wilderness.
I'm skeptical. The TV show "The Legend of Mick Dodge" clearly shows that there are at least some folks who choose to live in the wild, and how they like play tricks on people who come to the wilderness.
However, I'm pretty sure that show has been cancelled after only a few weeks. Too bad, I actually enjoyed it.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
I take a size 15 boot and trying to find much selection in my size is like trying to find the mythical monster .
Looks like we just found Bigfoot
Old 03-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I've been hearing about the Survivorman-Bigfoot episodes for a couple years now, but still haven't seen anything here in the US regarding the air dates. Apparently, it was spawned from an episode of 'Survivorman' that was filmed in Alaska, and when Les had the cameras turned off he heard what he described as an ape like creature in the trees near his camp, or something to that effect when he talked about it on one of his "Best of" episodes. Funny how he never even mentioned that strange encounter in the Alaska episode. Usually he always shares those odd little moments while in the wilderness.
I'm skeptical. The TV show "The Lengend of Mick Dodge" cleary shows that there are at least some folks who choose to live in the wild, and how they like play tricks on people who come to the wilderness.
Being who he is he may have worried about ever being taken seriously after, however the Bigfoot expert he hooked up with for this episode....Lee Standing has major credibility issues.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Justin

I'm a fan of Les Stroud, and I am entertained by his programs, but he also has his own credibility issues sometimes. (imho)
Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
Uncle Alvah

If I had to choose between a week in the woods with either Bear "Gristle" or Les "Shroud", I'm certain I could find some means at hand to take my own life.
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Alvah View Post
If I had to choose between a week in the woods with either Bear "Gristle" or Les "Shroud", I'm certain I could find some means at hand to take my own life.
Funny.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #9
Crokit
crokit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Alvah View Post
Amen to that.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Troy64

Les Stroud (Survivorman) Bigfoot Special

All things considered, Les Stroud has one of the better shows on TV.

Bear Gryls is a great example of what not to do.
Troy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
geogymn

Methinks Les Stroud keeps it real. Bear is an entertainer that I find painful to watch. Then there is that barefooted dude on dual survival. He can make a fire like nobody's business but that's the only good thing I can say about him.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Justin

There was a "Les Stroud Vs. Bear Grylls" thread years ago, which can be found Here.
Survival shows seemed to have come a long way, and have spiked in popularity a bit since those days.
'Ultimate Survival Alaska' is pretty cool.
I've always enjoyed 'Dual Survivor' also.
Even though he lied to get the job, and was subsequently fired because of it, I'd take Dave Canterberry as a survival guide over any of the others that I've seen on cable TV.

Last edited by Justin; 03-21-2014 at 03:58 PM..
Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
backwoodsman

We enjoy Les Stroud's show, haven't watched the Bigfoot episode, maybe he's hard up for cash.

Watched the Ultimate Survival Alaska a couple times, it's terribly staged. Did anyone else notice the fake kayaks going down the stream on the glacier?
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
Watched the Ultimate Survival Alaska a couple times, it's terribly staged.
Aren't they all?
This is TV were talking about.
If anything, Survivorman seems the least staged. At least Les shows his many mistakes.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #15
backwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Aren't they all?
This is TV were talking about.
If anything, Survivorman seems the least staged. At least Les shows his many mistakes.
That's why Survivorman is a better show, because it's not a series of fake situations that basically insult your intelligence.

I'm amazed at the crap Nat. Geo. puts out, a grown adult would be better off watching Sesame Street.
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #16
Uncle Alvah

Quote:
Then there is that barefooted dude
Cody Lunden.

In my opinion, the ultimate survivor title was captured many years ago by Hugh Glass.

Theres an old movie about him, Richard Harris, "Man In the Wilderness".
Google is your friend, my friend.

Last edited by Uncle Alvah; 03-21-2014 at 09:56 PM..
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #17
Justin

Dosen't get much better than stolen dog food stew and the foot fungus blues!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #18
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
That's why Survivorman is a better show, because it's not a series of fake situations that basically insult your intelligence.

I'm amazed at the crap Nat. Geo. puts out, a grown adult would be better off watching Sesame Street.
That made me laugh...have you seen the one with the bunch of rednecks running around the woods with guns and revolvers and one guy just had a big stick hunting devil dogs and grassmen
Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #19
thedude2108

Has anyone checked out "Naked and Afraid" ? Bit of an interesting take on survivor style shows
thedude2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #20
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude2108 View Post
Has anyone checked out "Naked and Afraid" ? Bit of an interesting take on survivor style shows
I'd die...no way I could eat a snake.