Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
Kevin
**BANNED**

Repairing a tear in my North Face jacket

My relatively new North Face jacket has its first tear bushwacking up Street yesterday. It's along the forearm (probably got it when pushing through a thick spot). Maybe 3 inches long. It's not a section of the jacket that flexes much, so I was thinking instead of a patch maybe using superglue or something comparable. Anyone have any experience doing this? Any other 'glues' I could use?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Goop It seals as well as adheres.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
Goop It seals as well as adheres.
Is that a hiker's standard (EMS, etc) solution? Never heard of it.

I'll see if I can find it, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Is that a hiker's standard (EMS, etc) solution? Never heard of it.

I'll see if I can find it, thanks for the suggestion.
It's often used as a seam sealer (which is why I have it). I also cut another pair of soles for my moccasins out of rawhide and glued them onto my mocs with the Goop. That was a year ago and they're still attached and don't leak.

There are several "flavors". Get the sportsmans. It's a contact cement and sealant.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

It's called "Goop" right? Found it on a few outdoor site (looks like Walgreens carries it, but we don't have any around here that I know of). I'll keep looking, Dick's sporting goods may carry it. I'm going to head out and will stop there.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
It's called "Goop" right? Found it on a few outdoor site (looks like Walgreens carries it, but we don't have any around here that I know of). I'll keep looking, Dick's sporting goods may carry it. I'm going to head out and will stop there.
See if you can find the glue for silnylon as well.

We have some silnylon for you here at the "ADKForum depot", courtesy of Sacco! You'll also want Royal Blue 100% polyester thread (no cotton blend). Barring that you want Nylon if you intend on sewing the silnylon......
Old 02-19-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
See if you can find the glue for silnylon as well.

We have some silnylon for you here at the "ADKForum depot", courtesy of Sacco! You'll also want Royal Blue 100% polyester thread (no cotton blend). Barring that you want Nylon if you intend on sewing the silnylon......
Will do!

I probably won't be out until we get together with Doug on that first weekend in March. I'm gonna start doing more serious job-stuff between now and then and also work on my music.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
Rick
Bad Seed

Kevin - You can also buy Goretex patch kits for $10 at REI. I have used them on my pants and they have been fine.

For my old 2-layer jacket, I had my wife sew the torn sides together (like yours, 3-4 inches long that I got on Santanoni in '96, but on the upper arm).

I then took Seam Grip brand seam sealer (for seam sealing tents - It is very similiar to Goop) and glued on a peice of PU coated nylon. It lasted the life of the jacket.

When I got my "new" 3-layer Gtx jacket in '97 I tore it within a year over the shoulder - a small 1/4 inch tear. I just put a big gop of Seam Grip on it and it sealed the hold closed.

I believe the active ingredient in goop and Seam Grip is Tuolene - both stay pliable even when cold.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
JimB

Kevin, you can get GOOP at WalMart or KMart. It is a very common glue. I've used it for years on cycling shoes when the sole gets ripped off.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:02 PM   #10
Kevin
**BANNED**

Thanks folks. Dick's didn't have it and I did actually think about Walmart (will be going there later this evening for food shopping).

I have a small tear on my gaitors that I think this will fix as well. I've heard this stuff can be used on boots, so I'll probably end up getting a lot of use out of it.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:41 PM   #11
Kevin
**BANNED**

Took me some searching but I found this "Wader Repair" stuff with Toluene. The only GOOP brand stuff was in the plumbing section. This seems all purpose, even says so on the back .

Off to stink up my apartment for the next 12 hours.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:12 PM   #12
starbaby

Here is my tried and true method of repairing fabric tears, etc. I have used it twice to replair holes punctured into my pants from my crampons.

I use Mcnett Tenacious sealing and repair tape (EMS, REI both sell it), and Mcnett SeamGrip Adhesive. You don't need the adhesive (the tape has it's own adhesive) but if you use it with the repair tape, the strength of the repair is much better.

SB
starbaby is offline   Reply With Quote