Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Forge Area (Recommend a place to rent a boat and good fishing)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Forge Area (Recommend a place to rent a boat and good fishing)?

Anyone got any recommendations of a good outfit to rent a boat/motor from in the Old Forge or surrounding (20 min radius) area for a day of fishing? Looking for Bass, Pike, Bullhead, Large Panfish........

Thank you to EVERYONE who has been so helpful.

Will be sure to post the outcome of my fishing those 4 days for future vacation people to have a leg up and not spend the entire vacation searching....

You won't get many suggestions for motor boats on this forum. Most of the regulars are pretty anti-motor.

If you want a paddle boat, try Mountain Man in Old Forge.

I'm not a Fisherman but I'd head up to Moshier Reservoir near Stillwater:

Located in Herkimer County, angling opportunities for smallmouth bass, tiger musky, and yellow perch exist in Moshier Reservoir.

The DEC site lists species. Even if they are there, you might not catch any if you don't have the right bait.

Comment

Rivett's Marina in Old Forge Inlet Marina in Inlet and Palmer Point (near Eagle Bay on rt28) all rent boats. I think you can rent smaller fishing boats at Palmer Point.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine1 View Post
        Rivett's Marina in Old Forge Inlet Marina in Inlet and Palmer Point (near Eagle Bay on rt28) all rent boats. I think you can rent smaller fishing boats at Palmer Point.
        I second Palmer's - just rented one last week from them, and they (by far) had the best prices in the area.

Don't miss the rope swing on the small island between Second and Third Lakes (my avatar was taken there!!)
        “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

They are in inlet on fourth lake.

Comment

Originally posted by l'oiseau View Post
            You won't get many suggestions for motor boats on this forum. Most of the regulars are pretty anti-motor.

If you want a paddle boat, try Mountain Man in Old Forge.

I'm not a Fisherman but I'd head up to Moshier Reservoir near Stillwater:

Located in Herkimer County, angling opportunities for smallmouth bass, tiger musky, and yellow perch exist in Moshier Reservoir.

The DEC site lists species. Even if they are there, you might not catch any if you don't have the right bait.
            I love motors, I use canoe's, kayak's, rowboats, and have two motor boats.
            There is a place in the Adirondacks for all the above. I'm glad to see the number of responses.

Comment

Thank You everyone. I contacted Dunn's Boat Service and they will deliver a boat to me on 7th lake. Will finally get to explore the lake a little better this year for some better fishing, rather than just offshore or canoe distance.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtscramp View Post
                Thank You everyone. I contacted Dunn's Boat Service and they will deliver a boat to me on 7th lake. Will finally get to explore the lake a little better this year for some better fishing, rather than just offshore or canoe distance.
                BTW - saw a picture at Palmer's of a 44" Northern caught by the owner in the middle of Fourth Lake...so good luck to you! They're out there...
                “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Originally posted by sgtscramp View Post
                  canoe distance.
                  I'm pretty sure people canoe through 7th lake every year on their way from Old Forge to Saranac Lake. Canoeing around 7th lake isn't all that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by wellsley View Post
                    I love motors, I use canoe's, kayak's, rowboats, and have two motor boats.
                    There is a place in the Adirondacks for all the above. I'm glad to see the number of responses.
                    Agreed. And to the OP - good luck! I hope you catch a bunch!

Comment

I'm pretty sure people canoe through 7th lake every year on their way from Old Forge to Saranac Lake. Canoeing around 7th lake isn't all that difficult.
                      Maybe not, but if you really want to explore for the purpose of locating fishing spots and not just paddle, the distance you'll be able to travel will be limited just by time. I pretty much only fish out of a canoe or guide boat, but I live in the Adirondacks close to my home waters and know exactly where to go.

Also, I think we'd all do well to remember that things which might seem trivial or easy to us could indeed be very difficult or even impossible for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Frhill View Post
                        Also, I think we'd all do well to remember that things which might seem trivial or easy to us could indeed be very difficult or even impossible for others.
                        Nice post

Comment

^ +1

Comment

I'm sorry guys. I don't have any pity or see any excuse for motor boats. Man circumnavigated the globe long before internal combustion engines were ever dreamed of. Motors are not a necessity, they are a crutch.

Comment

I'm sorry guys. I don't have any pity or see any excuse for motor boats. Man circumnavigated the globe long before internal combustion engines were ever dreamed of. Motors are not a necessity, they are a crutch.
                              Easy there now...not everyone has unlimited capability, time, etc. in the days you refer to, they had no choice. Now there is choice, and even the APA and DEC have declared some bodies of water motorable. Calling out those who are different or less able than you is not appropriate on this forum. We respect our differences.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X