Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
jsocolar

Kildare Gate and lands beyond

Hi all,

I am curious if anybody knows anything about the accessibility of lands behind the Kildare Rd gate N. of Tupper Lake.

Obviously the Kildare Club itself is private, and there are private timber holdings back there, but there is a lot of land behind that gate, including state land.

Anybody can contact the Nature Conservancy and receive permission to access Spring Pond Bog behind the gate, but I am not clear on whether it is kosher to visit lands other than Spring Pond Bog using a Nature Conservancy permit? And I imagine it would raise eyebrows if somebody wanted to camp back there but entered on a TNC permit...

Of course you can also get into the heart of that area by canoeing up the Jordan River, but that is quite an undertaking--I speak from experience!

Are there established channels for gaining passage through the Kildare Gate for the purpose of visiting public lands other than TNC's Spring Pond Bog property?

Thanks for any info,
Jacob
jsocolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Alpine1

Does this help?

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives...three-fold.pdf
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
jsocolar

I've been into Spring Pond before a few times... My question is about access to state lands behind the gate (not TNC property). One way to access the state lands is to get a permit from the Nature Conservancy by saying you are going to Spring Pond Bog, but once behind the gate to go a different direction.

So I guess my post boils down to three questions:
1) Is it generally held to be acceptable to use a Spring Pond Bog permit to visit places behind the gate other than Spring Pond Bog.
2) What if you want to camp on state lands behind the gate? (Camping is expressly prohibited on the Spring Pond Bog property).
3) Is there another way to get access through that gate?

Best
Jacob
jsocolar is offline   Reply With Quote