Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
ADK Tank

Sargent Pond to be reclaimed

My cousin talked to an encon officer this weekend that told him about it and here is the info from the DEC website.

Negative Declaration
Hamilton County - The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYS DEC), as lead agency, has determined that the proposed Reclamation of Lower Sargent Pond will not have a significant adverse environmental impact. The action involves the application of rotenone at 1.0 ppm to remove the fish population now dominated by non-native and native but widely introduced fish species. The pond will be stocked with brook trout following the reclamation. Lower Sargent Pond is located in the Sargent Ponds Wild Forest and the project is included in the draft Unit Management Plan for the area. The project is located in Lower Sargent Pond, Town of Arietta, New York.

Contact: William Schoch, NYS DEC - REgion 5 Office, Division of Fish, Wildlife and Maine Resources, P.O. Box 296, Ray Brook, NY 12977, Phone: (518)897-1333, E-mail: bxschoch@gw.dec.state.ny.us

http://www.dec.ny.gov/enb/20130313_not5.html

Thought I would put it out there just in case anyone was planning on doing a trip there the next few years.
ADK Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
ripple

didnt that pond produce pretty LARGE fish in past.. Is it not a big water to reclaim ?
hummm
ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
gmorin71

how long does it take for a pond to be reclaimed? i.e. when can one expect to start planning trips to that spot?
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
ADK Tank

From what my cousin was told by the officer they will kill it off this spring and restock this fall. He said in that pond the brookies can grow 5" a year so depending on the size of the stocked fish I would say it will be 4 or 5 years before it gets back to the caliber pond it is/was. It's too bad the bass got put in there becuase there are still some nice brookies in there.
ADK Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
JW

I know there is a barrier dam on the outlet - does anbody think the Bass could have gotten around it in 2006 or some year prior? Maybe I am niaive, but that would have to be a sick individual to hike bass in there. I have heard of catfish eggs sticking to birds legs.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
I know there is a barrier dam on the outlet - does anbody think the Bass could have gotten around it in 2006 or some year prior? Maybe I am niaive, but that would have to be a sick individual to hike bass in there. I have heard of catfish eggs sticking to birds legs.
That dam was fine last I saw it in 2011. I've seen bass, both large and smallmouth ascend some substatial streams in the late spring during spawning season so it wouldn't shock me if there were some fish from Raquette collected at the base of the dam that were 'helped' over it by humans. Or someone could have humped some buckets in there but that takes a fair amount of effort to establish a spawning population.

If they're going to do this reclamation, they should also reclaim upper sargent to get the bass out of the next closest source. They should also put a barrier dam further down the sargent ponds outlet stream to prevent bass from coming that far upstream in the first place. It is somewhat surprising that they are doing this as people are still getting decent fish out of there and I saw some fingerlings swimming around from what I assume was natural reproduction last time I fished it.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
OntarioSkiBum

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know the status of camping on Upper Sargent? I've seen some maps that show sites on the lake, others that don't. Same goes for South Pond (in Sargent Ponds WF). I could understand if they've been decommissioned as active sites based on the pressure from the nearby float plane service.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
giarc526
giarc526

There is not alot of spots to camp on upper sargent - but you will basically need to clear your own spot, they are overgrown. There is a trailhead from lower sargent/some road with an open area on upper sargent pond that you could pitch a tent. There is a lean to at lower sargent pond that a trail goes too. Otherwise not much else.

This reclamation is a shame in some sorts (understand getting rid of fish not natural to area) - but we used to go to Lower every year and catch massive size bass and always catch atleast a couple fish. Waiting 4-5 years for it to recover will be tough. Agreed on if you do lower then you should do upper - upper has tons of bass in it as well. Last couple years have caught 200 plus fish out of upper in less than a week. (mostly bass but perch and sun fish as well)
giarc526 is offline   Reply With Quote