Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Telemarkmike

Pole Hill Pond - Lk George Wild Forest - 3/13/13

I noticed on the new 2012 National Geographic trail map that there is some new state land just above Northwest Bay on the west side of Route 9N forth of Bolton Landing. The map shows 3 loops of trails. I headed there today to see what the area looked like.

I had to guess as to where to park. There was no obvious trail head. I eventually found a pull off and upon some exploration found yellow DEC discs which formed the small loop trail.

The bigger loops are marked with blue discs from the Lake George Land Conservancy. They are few and far between. I ended up just bushwhacking to Pole Hill Pond (where the blue trail goes) and then to the hill to the north of the pond, where there is a great view of Lake George.

The bushwhacking was easy in light tree cover. The pond was still covered in ice. There is a nice spot for a possible camping trip on the north side of the pond.

After I climbed the hill to the north, I looped back around to where I began my bushwhack. All-in-all a nice spot and a nice hike in the woods.

For the longer version, pics and map, see:
http://www.offonadventure.com/2013/0...ld-forest.html

Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
dundee

Yeah, the LGLC bought this property some years ago, put in the trail system and then sold it to the state. There is an official parking area, but it's not marked and in poor shape. It does/did have a sign-in box.

Any ATV activity at the pond? It used to be rather frequent.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Telemarkmike

Dundee - Thanks for the info. I didn't see any ATV activity.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
dundee

BTW, the "parking area" is just south of the hairpin turn on 9N; hard to spot, but it's there.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Telemarkmike

That is where I parked.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
dpc34

Does the pond have fish ? or does anyone know if it is stocked at all ?
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Telemarkmike

I have no idea...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
Does the pond have fish ? or does anyone know if it is stocked at all ?
It used to be stocked, back in the '70's. I have no idea if it still is though.

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
TCD

We hiked through there years ago, right after LGLC had first established the trails. In terms of marking and being able to be followed, they weren't any better done when they were new; bushwacking was often faster than looking for the trail. But it's a pretty area.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
haderondah_wild
**BANNED**

Thinking of heading over there tomorrow morning for a quick hike with the pooch before we head back home.

I saw the trails marked on the map but with no description I wasn't going to head out a quick morning hike unless I knew what was there.

Thanks for the report.
haderondah_wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
haderondah_wild
**BANNED**

We went around the short yellow loop this morning. It was nice but more of a marked bushwhack than a trail.

I saw a Fisher scamper up the trail and away on the way down. That was cool. There were a TON of deer droppings which I don't normally see on maintained trails. I suspect the area is full of deer but I was always moving so I never saw one.

At the top of the bald knoll in the yellow loop I saw a bare spot on one of the hills to the north-west. I don't know if this the one Telemarkmike went up in his report but it looked to me more like Pole Hill from my map.

I also easily spotted the blue trail start with two blue discs at the top of the hill but my wife had no interest in going that way.

I parked on the south-bound side of 9N just north of the actual trail start. One could park there. It is a sandy looking drive right across from a tennis court. The trail starts up there a bit.

We saw another trail starting up in about midway through the hairpin turn but didn't find any markers going up that way. I assume that is still state land. I saw no markings.

I saw one sign from Lake George Land Conservancy up in the woods off the road between these two trails. No DEC signs. The new yellow markers were DEC markers. That is it.

Last edited by haderondah_wild; 04-08-2013 at 10:18 AM..
haderondah_wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #12
mossarden

Thanks Telemarkmike....good info
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #13
peskypup

At a LGLC volunteer meeting I attended back in April there was mention of plans to sign an agreement with the state to maintain trails in the Northwest Bay area, similar to how they still maintain the trails at Cat & Thomas, even though that's been sold to the state. I assume they were talking about these trails. I haven't heard anything more recently, but they've had a pretty busy summer getting new trails, parking lots, signage and kiosks set up on new preserves at Anthony's Nose, Terzian and the Pinnacle, so the fact that nothing's happened so far doesn't necessarily mean it won't.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #14
mossarden

peskypup....I was told by an affiliate of the LGLC that there was land purchase planned for the back side of this preserve, linking it to another LGLC property on Padanarum Road. If that's the case then perhaps parking area and trail head options are still in the works...?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #15
TCD

It would be cool to have a "through" trail. There's no current link, but I have done the through trip from the 9N trailhead, to Pole Hill Pond, and then out to Padanarum Road (many years ago). There's an old but easily followed trail running straight west from the pond, through an interesting gap in the ridge, and out to P road. (I'm sure we were trespassing, but we went unnoticed; you can usually get away with that on the way out of the woods.)

Another very worthwhile destination in that area is State Mountain:

http://adirondackrock.com/map.htm?la...62979683229996

Its south side is covered in cliffs with nice views. I explored that area a couple years ago with an interest in climbing. Cliffs don't quite add up to be worthwhile to climbers, but they are very scenic. There's a good marked trail to State Mountain from the east. Across from the Clay Meadows parking, cross NW Bay Brook and scout around, and you'll pick up this trail (signs and markers are in place). It's intended to eventually have a trailhead on 9N. This from the draft LGWF UMP:

"Designate the present trail system (approximately 5 miles) on the recently
acquired 1,300 acre Northwest Bay Tract. It will be designated a Class III foot
trail. This trail should be marked and improved. Locate and mark an additional
foot trail (approximately 1.5 miles) from the northern portion of this present trail to and adjacent to the Clay Meadows parking lot. A bridge spanning the
Northwest Bay Brook would be required to designate a trail, here."

This proposed trail can be seen on the map in the draft UMP.

Lots to explore in that area!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #16
mossarden

Nice info! Thanks
Old 01-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #17
Rivet
Likes to hike

update

Did the loop on blue trail today. Looks like new markers (NY DEC) have been added - in addition to the LGLC ones. Seems easier to stay on the trail, though you have to watch out for markers in spots. Parking area is not plowed, but there is not much snow so no problems there.

some pictures
Old 01-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #18
Telemarkmike

Thanks for the update.

Those blue signs with the carved letters look like the handiwork of Richard Phillips....
Old 01-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #19
peskypup

Thanks for sharing!
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #20
fvrwld

I visited the Pole Hill Pond Preserve and did the Blue Loop yesterday. I went over Middle Mountain first, the Walnut Ridge (great views) and then down to the pond and out. I was the only one there on a Saturday! The trail obviously sees very little use but was very well marked until after the pond. Between the pond and trailhead there were some confusing spots but ultimately I was able to follow the trail markers. I found it to be a very pleasant hike.

Pictures HERE.

More info and map is here...http://www.lglc.org/preserves/pole-hill-pond/

Last edited by fvrwld; 06-05-2016 at 06:35 PM..
fvrwld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lake george wild forest, pole hill pond