Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics > Gear Care & Maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Justin

boot sealant & stiffener?

Curious what is the best sealant to use for not only waterproofing leather boots, but also helps stiffen them up a bit, and what is the best way to apply it?
I have used Sno-seal, which seems to work well for water proofing, but it doesn't seem to last very long and doesn't seem to do much for stiffening up the leather.
I have also used a spray Spar-Urethane on them occasionally which seems to help, but again it doesn't seem to last very long.
Thoughts?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

I have used Snow seal for a good many years with good luck, What I do is put my boots next to the wood stove , get them warm an put a coat on then, put them back buy the stove, I keep doing this an put about three or four coats on them.I do this about once or twice in the winter. I also do my hiking boots that way so they will be ready for spring.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I still use bees wax. Pretty much the same way Bob uses the Snow Seal (also a great product). You can use your oven with low temperature as well. The object is to fully saturate the pores of the leather.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I dripped some pure tung oil cut with citrus solvent on my leather Vasque boots. After 2 years the spots still show up as stains... Tung oil is a natural wood sealer that is supposed to remain flexible as far as expansion and contraction are concerned with wood floors/furniture... Per haps an experiment with an old pair of work boots....maybe mixed with bees wax...

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Wldrns

I use Limmer Boot Grease.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Be careful putting your boots too near the wood stove. The adhesive they use on new boots (without sewn welts) is sensitive to high temperature. I found out the hard way.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Justin

Thanks guys.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote