Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
littleoutback

"Nicest" camping/hiking shelter NE1?

I'm looking for info ideas for a camping shelter I'm going to build in the woods. No electricity, no running water, wood stove heat, enclosed. Was hoping to get ideas from hiking and camping shelters people have stayed at.

Any images, descriptions, of very comfortable hiking or camping shelters (or hints on how to find the info) is appreciated.

Thanks!
littleoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
agmccall

thruthewoods..

your best bet might be a leanto but with a front instead of being exposed. I saw a company in Adirondack life called The Adirondack Lean-to company. they might sell plans their web address is www.thruthewoods.com
agmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
madhiker

Merck Forest in Vermont has some great cabins. The farthest in was always my favorite... I don't think I have any photos though.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
RaVeN

Shelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoutback
I'm looking for info ideas for a camping shelter I'm going to build in the woods. No electricity, no running water, wood stove heat, enclosed. Was hoping to get ideas from hiking and camping shelters people have stayed at.

Any images, descriptions, of very comfortable hiking or camping shelters (or hints on how to find the info) is appreciated.

Thanks!
I have lurked for awhile and finally couldnt resist joining the forum. Great site!

If you want some great ideas, get the book "One Mans Wilderness" or see the video "Alone in the Wilderness". It's about a guy named Richard Preoenneke who went to live in the Alaska wilderness. Stayed for over thirty years.

This man was INCREDIBLE! A master craftsman. The video shows some real neat shots of him building his cabin, furniture and fireplace all from natural materials. I am sure you will be impressed and get some great ideas.

Here is a link you may find helpful.
http://www.minifarmhomestead.com/out...dproenneke.htm

RaVeN
RaVeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
tdgard

Hiking Shelters

The two best shelters I have come across were along the Long Trail/AT in Vermont.

The first is the Spruce Peak shelter East of Manchester, and has a wood stove in it.

The second is the Stratton Pond shelter, which slept about 20 people.

I think NY should build a few like these.
tdgard is offline   Reply With Quote