Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
cuterocky
Kalie

Charging Hiking Fee

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Personally I think its pretty ridiculous

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/sto...u2M9ZtkQA.cspx

http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news...Hike-for-a-fee
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I am all for a fee structure, with non-residents paying a premium. Perhaps that will keep the Quebecois(except Neil) north of the border. Anything that limits the numbers of my fellow interlopers that use the land is a positive as far as am concerned.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
TCD

I think the land is plenty big enough to host us all. I never have a problem finding solitude. If you really want to reduce the number of people out there, I would "start with the man in the mirror." If I am in a crowd, I am part of the crowd...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
adkman12986

I also would be in favor of a fee IF the money would stay where it is supposed to be. Way to often theese fees get stuck into the "general" fund and get wasted away.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I absolutely include myself as part of the problem of human interlopers, and I accept that our impacts are only going to increase no matter what we do....I am glad you that you are able to find what you are looking for. I have become less tolerant recently.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Not a fan or a "hiking fee", but I do see a benefit in perhaps instituting/increasing parking fees at perhaps the most packed trailheads and/or temporary meters along the major roads which seem to be miles of linear parking lots.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
fisher39

More years than I care to count my "hunting license" is actually a "hiking while lugging around a gun" license. I'm saving up all my empty tags in case the DEC starts issuing refunds.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
bethfit

That's a good point fisher. The husband has purchased a sportsman license his entire adult life..close to 40 years. I often buy a fishing license myself. We also purchase the Empire Pass every year and have done so for as long as I can remember.....where does it stop? How much does it have to cost to take a walk in the woods?
Maybe a fee for non-residents of the state, but I don't know how you could make that work. Opponents would argue it is bad for tourism, which brings revenue.
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
yellowcanoe

I don't see why not parking fees. Parking areas suffer wear and tear and repairs have to be made.

The White Mountain National Forest has had a pay to park and hike program for over ten years now. The fee is $3 per day. Its not a crushing burden. I do not believe hiking numbers have decreased since the parking program began. As a matter of fact a number of outdoor stores have ramped up in North Conway.

IMO The Adirondacks is attractive enough to outsiders. Three or five bucks is not going to drive away Canadians..Not with the exchange rate being so favorable.

If the hiking fee were forty bucks of course that might be another animal. I cannot afford to camp in Ontario any more and purposely avoided it this summer after being charged $43 in April for a campsite.. The ADKs are a bargain.

Last edited by yellowcanoe; 10-12-2012 at 11:48 PM..
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
I am all for a fee structure, with non-residents paying a premium. Perhaps that will keep the Quebecois(except Neil) north of the border. Anything that limits the numbers of my fellow interlopers that use the land is a positive as far as am concerned.
Be careful about driving away the outsiders...

A dollar coming from outside your economy is the most valuable dollar.

Dollars coming from inside the US would likely be spent elsewhere in the US. Net economic gain = not so much.

Dollars coming from outside the US that would otherwise be spent outside = high economic gain.

Respect the tourists, especially the foreign ones (like me). I definitely like to see the outsiders in my area... Niagara, Ontario... wish there were more these days.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Bill I.

I will say that when I have hiked in U.S. National Parks, which collect fees for all users, the backcountry facilities tend to be in better condition. The theory is simple: the fees are revenue that can then be used to offset stewardship expenses. More fee revenue might mean a better-staffed and better-equipped trail crew.

I don't see a widespread "hiking fee" in New York, but I do think these would be appropriate for the Adirondacks:

1) A "voluntary tax" such as an annual collector's patch and/or window decal that people could display. You wouldn't be required to buy one, but the more people who did have them the more others would buy into the program.

2) Camping fee permit for the High Peaks. The number of permits would be matched to the number of legal campsites in the field. Would promote LNT principles by requiring prospective High Peaks backpackers to "plan ahead and prepare." Permits could be picked up at the proposed DEC High Peaks info center or at participating retailers. Everyone with a permit has their own campsite, the perception of overuse in the High Peaks starts to diminish, the public is encouraged to visit local businesses, revenue is generated. Tell me how this is a bad idea?
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
SteveSam

The DEC already has a trails supporter patch:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/36016.html

Proceeds go towards trail maintenance:
Patch proceeds will help maintain and enhance non-motorized trails throughout New York State. All monies raised from the purchase of the patch will be deposited in the Conservation Fund's Outdoor Recreation, Trail Maintenance, and Development Account. DEC administers more than 3,500 miles of non-motorized trails on State Forests, Wildlife Management Areas, Forest Preserves, and Multiple Use Areas.
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Bucknut
46er #7721

What a great way to lower the unemployment rate:

EACH TR: Hire 3 full time "TH" attendants for (3) 8-hour daily shifts. Have a part-time employee scout for bush wackers. Pay a huge overtime bill for the weekends.

Would anyone have money left to spend at the local businesses?
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver

Last edited by Bucknut; 10-14-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Never heard of the trail supporters patch before, certainly never seen it where I buy my sporting licences as they say they are on the DEC site. Just got my new fishing licence at Fortunes Hardwear in Tupper Lake last Monday. But it is what I'd be in favor of it they promoted it a bit, I'd voluntarily pay $ , but a manditory fee would force me to find ways around paying. Do we really think the money would continue to go into trails or other conservation projects in 10 years. Remember these are political types proposing these fees, "to increase revenues".

If they started charging a hiking fee, I would just start hiking with my rifle of shotgun during any legal hunting season and carry my hunting licence, then I would not need my Hiking Permit. Or I'd carry my 4 piece fly rod and a box of flies and just tell them I was heading in for a few days of backcountry fishing, I already would have my fishing permit with me. Of course many hikers would not like seeing me with a rifle on the trails of the high peaks, but it is legal. Another option , which I enjoy anyway, is just to bushwack and not use established trails anyway.

Lets see , I'm an out of stater , I pay over $3000 in property tax in NY every year, Each time I fill my gas tank in NY I pay about $7.50 in Tax, I pay the NY Sales Tax on everything I buy here, there is a NY tax on ou utility bills here in Lake Clear -electric-gas-cable all have an added tax. I didn't put my kid through school here, I put very little stress on the tax base. The only tax I don't pay is income. And I did live in upstate NY for more than 10 years.

John M. A Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Pete_Hickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
I am all for a fee structure, with non-residents paying a premium. Perhaps that will keep the Quebecois(except Neil) north of the border.
Yep... it'd keep me away.. and by doing that, NY would loose about 150 hours of volunteer work each year.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #16
EagleCrag

It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever pay to go hiking. They will take the money from hiking put it toward trails or trail maintenance then take the money that used to be allocated for that purpose and use it for some pork somewhere else. I'm with Connecticut Yankee. The money I pay in taxes and fees already is exorbitant. If the state is going to charge for everything, then just privatize the whole park and let businesses charge fees. We wonder why kids aren't in tune more with the outdoors these days....ever figure what it costs a family to go hunting or fishing...a heck of a lot. Now folks want to charge them to go hiking? Its nonsense. This obviously hit a nerve with me so I'd better shut up before the moderator tells me to.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
rollinslover64

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever pay to go hiking. They will take the money from hiking put it toward trails or trail maintenance then take the money that used to be allocated for that purpose and use it for some pork somewhere else. I'm with Connecticut Yankee. The money I pay in taxes and fees already is exorbitant. If the state is going to charge for everything, then just privatize the whole park and let businesses charge fees. We wonder why kids aren't in tune more with the outdoors these days....ever figure what it costs a family to go hunting or fishing...a heck of a lot. Now folks want to charge them to go hiking? Its nonsense. This obviously hit a nerve with me so I'd better shut up before the moderator tells me to.
I'm with you and Connecticut Yankee.I already pay more than enough in taxes and fees.I don't care to pay a fee to hike then have someone tell me I'm destroying the park by causing impact.I'll just give up hiking in the Adirondacks and spending my money there if I have to pay.Plenty of trails in my area and in the Catskills I've yet to explore.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #18
Rusty and the Maniac

Ain't noone to enforce it. There's a million trailheads.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #19

It does sound like a good idea. If there was a way to lock the $$ ( even a voluntary patch , sticker or stamp like the duck stamp ) into just maintaining the array of hiking related stuff .
But , as mentioned , chances of that money staying where it belongs is slim.
The States were recently ranked in order of the most tax friendly states. We came in last

Again , the voluntary donation , like the duck stamp could work , just needs to stay where it is intended to stay.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
But , as mentioned , chances of that money staying where it belongs is slim.
The States were recently ranked in order of the most tax friendly states. We came in last

Again , the voluntary donation , like the duck stamp could work , just needs to stay where it is intended to stay.
After what we've all seen on the federal and state levels - if anyone really believes that fees generated by taxing hikers will go anywhere BUT the general government slush fund - well then, they've been asleep at the wheel. I feel sorry for them (and the rest of us). The old adage "fool me twice - shame on me" applies.

I say NO strongly - as mentioned by others, NY is already the highest taxed state in the union.