Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
stamenoftheshamen

Adirondack League Club

Has anyone been? If so, any hiking suggestions? Deadman's Gulch looks cool but looking for specific recommendations for this weekend
stamenoftheshamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
dundee

The League Club is heavily posted and patrolled. You'll need permission to enter.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
FTHR&DAGHTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
The League Club is heavily posted and patrolled. You'll need permission to enter.
Maybe we can take it away from the League so that millions of Americans and Canadiens can run all over it.

....... with the good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.......
FTHR&DAGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Here's your key to entry into the ALC's forests and waters.

Remember. No mortgages. Cash only.

Ordin
Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
stamenoftheshamen

My buddy's family is a member, heading up for a bachelor party. We will be his guests for the weekend. Figuring while my buddies are firing some rifles at the range I can go for a hike.

I have gathered it is somewhat elitist, not looking for membership myself. Only hiking recommendations. I have been to West Canada Lake before and know how beautiful the area is.
stamenoftheshamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTHR&DAGHTR View Post
Maybe we can take it away from the League so that millions of Americans and Canadiens can run all over it.
If the property owner* were willing to sell the property and the state was willing and able to purchase it, I would welcome the sale.

*I assume the ALC has a separate corporation set up for their real estate holdings for tax purposes.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I think he was asking about the central portion of the ALC, which is under easement and has numerous hiking trails open to the public?

I haven't been on any of the ALC trails, but Sand Lake Falls is near there and is an interesting place to visit. It's an easy hike until the last half mile or so, which is somewhat marshy and swampy, but doable. The falls is the site of an old lumber camp and there's some neat artifacts lying around. Plus the falls are neat to see themselves.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
ADKHUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordin Aryguy View Post

Ordin
Cash only? Oh ok I'll drop by the vault on my way up north to sign the papers. LOL
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Alpine1

I'm not aware of any land that the ALC own that are open to the public or under any type of easement for public use. That so goes against anything they believe. Anyone have any info regarding Jackson's comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I think he was asking about the central portion of the ALC, which is under easement and has numerous hiking trails open to the public?

I haven't been on any of the ALC trails, but Sand Lake Falls is near there and is an interesting place to visit. It's an easy hike until the last half mile or so, which is somewhat marshy and swampy, but doable. The falls is the site of an old lumber camp and there's some neat artifacts lying around. Plus the falls are neat to see themselves.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Alpine1

There's one catch...you need to be a member to buy property. it's a little more detailed than that but simply put unless you know someone who knows someone your SOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordin Aryguy View Post

Ordin
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
I'm not aware of any land that the ALC own that are open to the public or under any type of easement for public use. That so goes against anything they believe. Anyone have any info regarding Jackson's comment?
He's thinking of the two tracts that contain Horn Lake and North Lake. They were part of the original ALC holdings, although for many years the club leased them from Gould. The Horn Lake section was sold to the state in the 1960s, and the North Lake section became a state conservation easement in 1990. The only association between these lands today and the ALC is purely historic.

On Woodhull Lake, the only shared waterway between the state and ALC, you can paddle up to several of their camps.

There is one public ski trail between Third Lake and Limekiln Lake that crosses a small corner of the ALC, but otherwise their property lines have been carefully drawn to minimize overlaps with popular public areas.

My suggestion to the OP is that if you are an invited guest of a League Club member, then by all means take advantage of that privilege. I was once an invited guest myself, so I know how much they value their privacy. The opportunity to explore their land legally doesn't come often. On my visit we climbed their "shortcut" trail to Woodhull Mountain, but I do know they maintain their own trail system to many other places. They may or may not still be selling maps.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKHUNTER View Post
Cash only? Oh ok I'll drop by the vault on my way up north to sign the papers. LOL
Cut-n-paste directly from the Post Standard article:

Brackenrill's buyer must be a member and pay annual dues for the preserve's maintenance, and Brackenrill cannot be financed with a mortgage; the buyer will have to pay cash.

If that vault you find has anything left after your visit, let me know. I'm needing some new winter boots.

Ordin
Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Welderman

I stayed at the alc last year at the end of the summer season for a wedding it was an amazing experience the people were all very nice. you could smell old money in the air, there was no cash allowed to exchange between guests and staff and everything was carried out to perfection at the wedding. We were told not to include the name of the club in any social media picture posts of inside the buildings but other then that it was a very enjoyable place and we are looking forward to visiting this summer. I asked about wildlife and they said they raise hunting birds and other game on site and release them as part of a wildlife maintence program.
Welderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welderman View Post
I asked about wildlife and they said they raise hunting birds and other game on site and release them as part of a wildlife maintence program.
I understand their desire for privacy but this statement really whets my curiosity.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
I understand their desire for privacy but this statement really whets my curiosity.
The mention of "raised hunting birds" I believe refers to Pheasant. At least when I worked there it was being talked about. Trust me when I say that has to be a BIG joke. Any one who has hunted pheasant knows they love grass/fields. There is no place on the entire preserve that has anything resembling fields. If these birds are hunted on any of there deer feed plots then you'd better not miss or a second chance seems unlikely......Could be that they are also releasing quail....either way the woods is no place to hunt those styles of game bird. Now if you like to fish that's another story
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
Uncle Alvah

Quote:
Now if you like to fish that's another story
I've been in there a few times for work related stuff. It's been awhile, but IIRC they have their own hatchery.....
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote