Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
SpamTin
SpamTin

Cold War Missile Silo in Lake Placid?

Sorry if this has been discussed already...

On page 97 of Jerry Jenkins' "The Adirondack Atlas", a map caption notes that
"The 556th Strategic Missile Squadron at Plattsburgh operated ten silos in upstate New York and two in Vermont from 1961 to 1965. There are unconfirmed reports of an eleventh silo in Lake Placid".

The map illustrates Atlas-F missile silos in Au Sable Forks, Dannemora, Lewis and several other Adirondack locations, as well as a possible location in Lake Placid.

Does anyone have any further information on whether the Placid location is an 'urban legend'?
SpamTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamTin View Post
Does anyone have any further information on whether this is accurate or an 'urban legend'?
It's real. The one in Saranac is for sale (small community west of Plattsburgh, not Saranac Lake). But it is actually closer to Redford. You can drive to the eastern edge of the property, but can't get very close to the residence - there's a private runway in the way.

There have been a few recent postings on it.

See all sites of the 556th SMS here.

Last edited by Wldrns; 08-01-2012 at 09:02 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
John H Swanson

I can't comment on the question of silos in the adirondacks, however, I was off trail in the catskill....walking a ridge, when I came across a very very flat 70 x 70 ft pad. It appeared to be old concrete. It did not seem likely to be a slab foundations. I speculated that it could be a silo. I know nothing of what a silo would look like....but your mind tends to wander when you're standing on an out of place flat slab in the middle of the untracked woods.
John H Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
dundee

It was located on the Loj Rd and disguised as a farm. Clever those Feds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K11farm_silos.jpg (50.7 KB, 418 views)

Last edited by dundee; 08-02-2012 at 06:30 AM..
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Tick Magnet

The 556th SMS, based out of Plattsburgh AFB, had eight Atlas F missiles in NY and two in VT. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.556sms.com/atlas_sites.htm

The University of Wyoming has a great site that shows all the Atlas missile sites in the US.

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/atlas.html

The Plattsburgh sites are the second to last listing on this post. They have Google earth imagery and GPS locations on all the old missile sites.

Of interest, Plattsburgh AFB had the only Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles East of the Mississippi River
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Sapien
outlander

there is more info and some cheesy videos of the silo home at Site #8 --
http://www.silohome.com/
Sapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
SpamTin
SpamTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
It was located on the Loj Rd and disguised as a farm. Clever those Feds.
Hah!

Thanks for the info everyone. I've been interested in these cold war relics since touring a Nike base in Lancaster, NY as a little kid (although if I'm going to buy property in Saranac it would be on the lake, sans bunker).
SpamTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
(although if I'm going to buy property in Saranac it would be on the lake, sans bunker).
There is no lake near Saranac where the silo is/was.... (you are thinking of Saranac Lake, which is quite different)
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
46R796

My dad worked on the silos in Plattsburgh.Dad was a steel worker.He told me they were for the Atlas misslies and I believe it was early 60's.I was too young to remember that era.I do remember dad saying a co-worker fell 150ft to his death in one of the silos.At the time we lived just outside of Plattsburgh.Unfortunately dad passed in 2006 and with him he took much of that information.
I have seen the inside of a silo that once housed a Titan.Pretty cool!

Last edited by 46R796; 08-27-2012 at 07:09 PM..
46R796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
displacedWashingtonian

Quote:
Hah!

Thanks for the info everyone. I've been interested in these cold war relics since touring a Nike base in Lancaster, NY as a little kid (although if I'm going to buy property in Saranac it would be on the lake, sans bunker).
if you're really interested, the National Parks dept owns a cold war silo in South Dakota that they give tours of. they actually take you underground into the pod where they would launch the bombs from. it's a very interesting tour, given by someone that was stationed there.
displacedWashingtonian is offline   Reply With Quote