Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Edb 46 er

Ginseng

Harvesting of Ginseng in New York State. Legal or illegal? If legal are there any areas one should coccentrate their searches?
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
geogymn

Legal, After Sept. 1, replant seeds in immediate area. Can't direct you to good search areas. I hear of people that harvest it by the bushel. I have had only limited success.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

This webpage may be of interest to you: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7130.html

Particularly this part:

Quote:
No ginseng may be harvested from any State Lands. Violators of this regulation will be prosecuted.
Here's the actual regulations covering ginseng in NY: http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/15523.html

Quote:
a. Season.

1. Wild ginseng may be collected only between September 1st and November 30th of any year.

2. The purchase from collectors or sale to dealers of green wild ginseng between the 1st day of January and the 31st day of August is prohibited.

3. Dry ginseng may not be purchased or sold during the period of April 1st to September 15th in any year unless previously weighed and recorded by the State by March 31st.

b. Maturity.

1. Only wild ginseng plants with at least three five-leaflet leaves (prongs) may be collected.

2. No wild plant with green, unripe fruit and immature seeds may be collected.

3. All seeds from collected wild ginseng plants must be planted, in mineral soil to the depth of the thickness of the seed within 50 feet of the place of collection, immediately after collection.
So while it's legal to harvest it from your own property, it's illegal to harvest it on state land. There have been some huge busts made by forest rangers in the Catskills over the past few years (people attempt to harvest it on state land, then transport it to the city to sell- wild ginseng is worth a lot more than cultivated ginseng).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
geogymn

I think its illegal to pick a apple or a flower on state land. So beware!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
geogymn

Also you may harvest ginseng on your own land but if you happen upon a nugget of gold it is illegal to keep it, it belongs to NYS.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Edb 46 er

I found a rabbit turd on my grandfather's privite property and NY state said it belongs to them. Between April&March
"Then God said, 'I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food."~ Genesis 1:29-30
Old 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
I think its illegal to pick a apple or a flower on state land. So beware!
I believe you may harvest common fruits and berries for your own immediate use, at least I know that rangers will not bother you for that. Gingeng is evidently in a different special category. You can't harvest massive amounts of anything that is obviously not for immediate consumption. Ranger LaPierre often tells the story of a group of folks from NJ (really) who were caught in the Adirondacks with several large garbage bags full of fiddleheads. The estimate was in excess of 3000 heads, which they could have by law been fined $100 for each. The judge let them off with something considerably less, and the rangers confiscated the take.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
geogymn

The law was made to protect against abuse, I understand that. Harvesting for immediate use seems to be a good guideline. I tried to research the fruit and berry provision on the internet to no avail. It appears my research prowress doesn't hold a candle to that of Deathstar (Tip of my hat). Still can't get past that gold law though.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Edb 46 er

Who is "Deathstar"?
"Then God said, 'I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food."~ Genesis 1:29-30
Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
The law was made to protect against abuse, I understand that. Harvesting for immediate use seems to be a good guideline. I tried to research the fruit and berry provision on the internet to no avail.
From Section 190.8
"g. No person shall deface, remove, destroy or otherwise injure in any manner whatsoever any tree, flower, shrub, fern, fungi or other plant organisms, moss or other plant, rock, soil, fossil or mineral or object of archaeological or paleontological interest found or growing on State land, except for personal consumption or under permit from the Commissioner of Environmental Conservation and the Commissioner of Education, pursuant to section 233 of the Education Law."

When on an authorized trail clearing crew with a ranger I often think that what I am doing by cutting shrubs and trees I could otherwise get thrown in jail for doing if I did the same thing on my own.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
geogymn

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Who is "Deathstar"?
http://adkforum.com/member.php?u=3085
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
maseeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
This webpage may be of interest to you: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7130.html

Particularly this part:

Here's the actual regulations covering ginseng in NY: http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/15523.html

So while it's legal to harvest it from your own property, it's illegal to harvest it on state land. There have been some huge busts made by forest rangers in the Catskills over the past few years (people attempt to harvest it on state land, then transport it to the city to sell- wild ginseng is worth a lot more than cultivated ginseng).
I like the post. The post is very Useful. Thank you, this advice will come in handy.