Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Cell phone use banned in the AMR

I noticed this a few weeks ago when I climbed Gothics and just thought I'd share, since I'd not heard of it before. Apparently the use of cell phones in all public areas of the AMR is banned. There is a 50$ fine if you are caught. The sign I read states that this applies to all members and guests of the AMR, so I assume it applies to hikers as well. According to the sign I read at the entrance booth/register, this rule has been in place since 2007 (but this is the first I'd ever heard of it).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
rollinslover64

Seems to me they could kick you out if they want if it was on their land but if you are saying public areas as in state land I don't think they would have a case to collect a fee.I wouldn't use the phone in there unless it was an emergency but they would have a hard time collecting a fee or fine from me.If it is true it is their law,not THE law.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslover64 View Post
Seems to me they could kick you out if they want if it was on their land but if you are saying public areas as in state land I don't think they would have a case to collect a fee.I wouldn't use the phone in there unless it was an emergency but they would have a hard time collecting a fee or fine from me.If it is true it is their law,not THE law.
The sign stated "areas other than guest rooms, cottages, and inside peoples cars." So basically, public areas on the AMR, not state land.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
jan

I'm surprised to hear you can get a cell signal there. I also don't see how they can enforce that. Didn't the state buy an easement from them to allow public access to the summits that the state also bought from them? What next? Will they say we're not allowed to speak to our companions as we walk the Lake Road?
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
TCD

There are other places where there are rules like this...I think I read something about a rule like this in Baxter up in Maine. It's usually based on moronic non-reasoning. Cell phones are banned, but vuvuzelas are OK. Duh...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
I'm surprised to hear you can get a cell signal there. I also don't see how they can enforce that. Didn't the state buy an easement from them to allow public access to the summits that the state also bought from them? What next? Will they say we're not allowed to speak to our companions as we walk the Lake Road?
I think it really depends on the details of the easement. Each easement is different- it could very well be that the state owns the rights to recreation on the trails (I know 100% for sure that the state does not own the off-trail recreation rights), in which case, yes, it's probably unenforceable. But if the state doesn't own the rights, and the trails are simply open to the public through negotiation between the AMR and the DEC, then yes, this rule certainly could probably be considered enforceable.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #7
rollinslover64

And the Ausable Club would expect to collect a fine from someone from the general public hiking on their land? The only way I can see this happening is if the DEC were to collect the fine and then hand it over to the club. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see how a fine can be collected without someone from law enforcement charging someone.I can see how they could ban you from their land but I can't see how they could collect money from you.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
Judgeh

As a practical matter, this rule seems more directed to members and guests of the club. In that case it becomes eminently more enforceable.
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Holdstrong

The rule has been around for awhile, it is intended for members and guests of the club - not necessarily hikers walking through the area. Although I suspect they wouldn't think twice about asking a loud cell phone using hiker to wrap it up if you are yapping away while walking near the Inn, etc.

The Keene Valley Verizon tower is now active (photos here), but even before that you could pick up a weak signal in a few locations on their property. So, of course, what would happen is you would have guests huddled around those spots gabbing away, taking business calls, etc. I assume they decided that just wasn't the atmosphere they wanted.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I decided that the best way to figure out if this rule applies to hikers as well as AMR club members was to ask the Ausable Club itself, so I emailed the address listed on the club web page. Here is the response I got:

Quote:
Yes, those rules apply to hikers on the Lake Road. Obviously if you and/or any other individual needed to make an emergency call or used your phone as a camera there would be no issue. However we maintain this rule for safety purposes on the Lake Road to ALL its travelers due to vechicles on the road from club individuals during the off-season and our club bus during the summer. We would never want a distration from phone use to lead to a situation where anyone is hurt. Also we try to provide the most traditional experience possible. This same philosophy explains our no headphones on the lake road, that way hikers can know what is going on around them and yield if neccesary. Hope I explained that okay! Happy hiking!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

My guess is that it is a CLUB rule, for members and guests. In that case it would be enforceable because members usually agree to obey any rules the club might set.

What's the big deal? It's a private club and I happen to agree with them about the cell phone ban.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
jan

I'm not a cell phone user and don't really understand the addiction to them, but I'm curious why a cell phone conversation is any different than a conversation between two people in this instance. Both could be loud and annoying. Both could be distracting. Is it the technology involved that makes cell phones more offensive?
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
rollinslover64

Quote:
I'm not a cell phone user and don't really understand the addiction to them, but I'm curious why a cell phone conversation is any different than a conversation between two people in this instance. Both could be loud and annoying. Both could be distracting. Is it the technology involved that makes cell phones more offensive?
Other than the likelihood that an in person conversation would probably last far longer than a cell phone call the only other difference is the ring. So shut the cell off and whisper very softly during an in person conversation and everyone will be happy. To some I'm sure it is the technology.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
8thday
**BANNED**

These Are Your Brain Cells Microwaved!

Quote:
My two cents on this issue is that the microwaves affect the users brain and may cause them to have a "tunnel effect" whereby they become ignorant to most everything around them. It's not merely the conversation that causes this. It's microwave radiation, there are both thermal and non-thermal reactions to rf/mw and that's a fact jan.
http://www.freedomfchs.com/usarmyrptonmicrowavefx.pdf
http://politics.innerself.com/html/a...ic-fields.html
http://www.consumerhealth.org/articl...19990303201129
I highly recommend this book if you want to know why cell phones are not so great.
http://electromagnetichealth.org/pub...alth-sos-book/

http://www.bioinitiative.org/freeacc...on_1_table.pdf

http://www-star.stanford.edu/~vlf/buoy/index.html
http://www.whale.to/b/elf6.html
http://ezinearticles.com/?Cell-Phone...arm&id=1003070
All of the towers are not for our benefit or well being, there's another purpose for them... and it's not good...
8thday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thday View Post
All of the towers are not for our benefit or well being, there's another purpose for them... and it's not good...
And that other purpose is?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
And that other purpose is?
the menu of choices abounds:

A. governmental tracking of citizens
B. mind control
C. death ray "array"
D. communication array for ALF's
E. ???

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #17
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
the menu of choices abounds:

A. governmental tracking of citizens
B. mind control
C. death ray "array"
D. communication array for ALF's
E. ???

I'm guessing Mind Reading, since 8thday seems to have assumed we all know what the "other" purpose is from reading his mind...
Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #18
Hear the Footsteps

Maybe off topic but here goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
There are other places where there are rules like this...I think I read something about a rule like this in Baxter up in Maine. It's usually based on moronic non-reasoning. Cell phones are banned, but vuvuzelas are OK. Duh...
At the risk of extending things too far off topic. I was in Baxter this summer. I did see posted sign indicating personal music players are not permitted (i.e., IPOD).

I also agree with someone above. Hard to believe you can even get an acceptable signal on the AMR property.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #19
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
At the risk of extending things too far off topic. I was in Baxter this summer. I did see posted sign indicating personal music players are not permitted (i.e., IPOD).
Baxter is, and always will be, an interesting case study in backcountry management. The Watermans use it in a few of their books as an example of intense (and, some might say, intrusive) management on one end of the spectrum.

Baxter is interesting- it's not part of the Maine State Park system, nor is it managed by BPL. It's instead managed separately from other Maine state lands.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
dpc34

somebody should stop this......some people just have to much time on their hands
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote