Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
kayakrski

camping at upper works

Hello all. We are planning on hiking to Hanging Spear falls this weekend and would like to find a car camping (or short paddle) site close to upper works. Any ideas? I definitely dont want a campground. Are there any sites at the trailhead?

Oh, I guess I should have posted this under the hiking section.

Last edited by kayakrski; 08-04-2011 at 08:58 PM..
kayakrski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
adkh20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakrski View Post
We are planning on hiking to Hanging Spear falls this weekend and would like to find a car camping (or short paddle) site close to upper works. Any ideas?
Henderson Lake is a short carry from the upper works parking lot.

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/st...e-to-paradise/
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I have camped on Henderson at the lean to, a great spot.
I have also investigated 2 of the 3 designated sites on Henderson...I never found the 3rd site.
The closest site is nearly at the point on your left (SE shore) as you enter the lake proper after paddling the little bay from the put in. Keep your eyes peeled to the S side of that bay, if you go into the lake itself, you've gone too far. this site is buried in the woods, nearly invisible from the water, behind a very large rock outcropping. You cannot see the water from the site, OK in a pinch, but not my ideal site. The other is on the far shore (W) almost opposite that put in bay. It is way, way, way up the steep shore from the lake. I saw no flat spots for a tent, maybe it's OK for a hammock. As I said, I never found the 3rd site, but based on the quality and location of the others, I wouldn't expect too much. A buddy of mine spoke with the ranger 2 years ago, said ranger stated there would eventually be 6 sites in addition to the lean to. Again, given the beautiful but steep shoreline, I can't imagine anything too great.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I have camped on Henderson at the lean to, a great spot.
I have also investigated 2 of the 3 designated sites on Henderson...I never found the 3rd site.
The closest site is nearly at the point on your left (SE shore) as you enter the lake proper after paddling the little bay from the put in. Keep your eyes peeled to the S side of that bay, if you go into the lake itself, you've gone too far. this site is buried in the woods, nearly invisible from the water, behind a very large rock outcropping. You cannot see the water from the site, OK in a pinch, but not my ideal site. The other is on the far shore (W) almost opposite that put in bay. It is way, way, way up the steep shore from the lake. I saw no flat spots for a tent, maybe it's OK for a hammock. As I said, I never found the 3rd site, but based on the quality and location of the others, I wouldn't expect too much. A buddy of mine spoke with the ranger 2 years ago, said ranger stated there would eventually be 6 sites in addition to the lean to. Again, given the beautiful but steep shoreline, I can't imagine anything too great.
I thought that there was one site on the NW shore to the left of where the landing is for the portage/lean-to?

it's been awhile but I thought I saw a site there.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I thought that there was one site on the NW shore to the left of where the landing is for the portage/lean-to?

Hawk
Hawk,

I need to search my photos...I have a photo of the DEC signboard map at Henderson, it shows the locations of those 3 sites. IIRC, to the left of the lean to landing is the outfall of that pretty little stream...

Here is a view looking S from that stream next to the lean to site--beautiful, but not too campsite friendly (I'm still looking for that DEC map/sign)

Okay, I finally found that photo of the map...

Last edited by stripperguy; 08-06-2011 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: found, added map
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post

Hawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Hawk,

I need to search my photos...I have a photo of the DEC signboard map at Henderson, it shows the locations of those 3 sites. IIRC, to the left of the lean to landing is the outfall of that pretty little stream...

Here is a view looking S from that stream next to the lean to site--beautiful, but not too campsite friendly (I'm still looking for that DEC map/sign)

Okay, I finally found that photo of the map...

It's been several years and my memory is getting fuzzier with age.

Unless I'm really confusing it with another place, I thought I recalled that it instead of paddling to the mouth of the outlet by the stream for the portage, there was a little flat open area to the west and a spot for a tent. I never actually put ashore there, just made an observation and at the time I made a waypoint on my gps. I can't find the file.

It's also possible that it's a decent campsite that is not official and may in fact be too close to the lake to be legal.

The year that I was there the lean to was brand new. So it's possible that it was a site used by people for an overight before portaging up to Duck Hole.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Bob K

Henderson 3rd site

It is where the map at the put in shows it. In a bit of a bay between 2 points and like the others, the site is well away from the water, shaded and not attractive for a view. I believe they followed the new siting guidelines to be well away from the shore. The site on the western shore has a very limited flat spot indeed. Fortunately I had my solo tent when I camped there. I have not seen any other sites besides these 3 and the lean-to.

To the OP - I believe you can camp anywhere on NY State land in the area as long as you follow the 150 ft rule. Don't count on finding a flat spot however.

There are some "primitive" car camping spots on the road into VanderWacker Mtn. A short drive from upper works.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

Hello,
I'm resurrecting this old thread with the same question. I'm wondering if things have changed over the years...

A friend and I are looking to get close to the Upper Works TH, or up to about a 30 min drive from it overnight before heading to the Flowed Lands. Looking to avoid hotels/public campgrounds if possible.

1.) I see the aforementioned map of Henderson lake leantos and campsites. Are those sites still there? Any changes?

2.) Also is the LT actually located there? I ask because in ADK software I have it lists the Henderson LT as being more than 0.5 miles North of the lake near where trails converge with Indian Pass Brook as opposed to being on almost on the lake like in the pic of the map posted in this thread.

3.) Along the Calamity Brook trail to the Flowed Lands I remember a couple DEC sites along the way. Anyone remember how far they might be in from the UW TH?

4.) Early into the hike along the calamity brook trail I also remember some open areas that were kind of flattish. Any opinions on the possibility of setting up two tents there? (of course 150' back from the trail/open areas/water/etc)

5.) Any other ideas? I was also looking at the possibility of some LT's on Eighth Lake.
trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
rdl

This link: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for.../appendixk.pdf has a map which shows DEC approved campsites in the 28N corridor and south. Most of what shows on the map should be within a 30 drive of the Upper Works trailhead. I've stayed at a couple of the sites along the Boreas when showing up late for a hike in to Flowed Lands and that has worked well. Basically car camping, but it's quick and easy.

There are campsites along Henderson Lake but I believe they are paddle access only. There is a lean-to heading north towards Indian Pass and also a lean-to on the northern end of Henderson Lake.

And consider Lake Harris campground - convenient and not too expensive.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
halocline

There is a site on the Calamity brook trail, if I had to guess I'd say it's 15-20 minutes from the trailhead. It is possible that it's an illegal site, honestly I don't remember if there's a disc there or not. If you don't get the info you need on this forum, try the ADK high peaks forum. Someone over there will know.
halocline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

rdl and halocline: Thanks for the info. It's a big help!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

While at Henderson this weekend it seems to be that the campsites are intended to be paddled to -- not hiked. That ended up being an 'interesting' dusk time bushwhack. I should have known better....
Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

Going up there again this week to give it another try.

Does any one know if by chance a herd path exists from the Upper Works TH parking lot directly West to one of the Henderson Lake campsites?

In my image, see the blue line which I am hypothesizing.

In the UW TH parking lot there is an upper part of there where there is a sign for a toilet and a trail to the toilet. I was wondering if that trail continues West to Henderson?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
rdl

I've followed that trail past the outhouse looking for a place to pitch a small tent and the trail peters out. To the best of my knowledge that trails ends shortly after the outhouse.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

Went there this past weekend again to try it out. There was a pretty visible trail from just before the outhouse going West up the hill which goes about 0.2 miles to an tiny old 1850's cemetery but then it ends about 1/2 way before the camp site.

Connecting to that trail there was a closed off trail (brush/logs at the beginning of it) that seems to arc from approximately the bridge on the gravel road at the Henderson lake outflow West to about 1/2 way to the campsite and then bends back towards the trailhead parking lot.