Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
adkeditor

Update on white-nose syndrome

The May/June issue of the Adirondack Explorer contains an in-depth look at the research into white-nose syndrome. The news for the region's bats remains grim. If interested, click here.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
geogymn

Interesting topic, good write up, thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
adkeditor

You're welcome.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
PatGreen

i worked with bat conservation international doing research for a while and am more than willing to field any questions if there are any.
PatGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGreen View Post
i worked with bat conservation international doing research for a while and am more than willing to field any questions if there are any.
Yeah, I have a question, Is there any hope for the population of bats to shake this thing and rebound?
Makes one wonder, what would happen if a similar disease struck homo sapiens. Would surely remedy the resource depletion problem. Mewonders what species are pulling for such a calamity?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
PatGreen

to answer your first question- no, not really. there are very few bats who give birth to more than 2 kits a year, and the most affected species rarely have more than 1. the subset of bats that are most affected are the Myotis genus, like the little brown bat, NY's most common.over a million have died from WNS and that was before this winterwhich was exceptionally hard for animals that use torpor. a healthy population would take decades to recover from this mess and let's not forget bats are in a two front war- windmills are also taking out huge numbers.
PatGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
Wldrns

There was a time many years ago when I spent much time cave exploring as part of a geological studies group and college outing club, most heavily in some of the famous caves of Schoharie County. One in particular (Skull) we pushed several miles into new found passages. I vividly remember a series of several long, very narrow but extremely high crevasse-like passages (labeled "F" passages, F, F', F'', F''') whose walls were completely covered with bats in a solid broad tapestry of fur. Though they screeched at us as we passed within inches of the wall, we were never bothered by the bats, they always avoided us even while they flew past us in confined spaces. The National Speleological Society (NSS) has closed many of those caves now, first to "tourist" cavers for safety reasons, more recently even to experienced cavers in order to protect the few remaining bats from spreading WNS. I guess that great fur tapestry is a thing not to be seen again.