Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
thebluesman5748

The Death Curse of GPS...

From the Albany Times Union today...2/28/11

Article: "Adirondacks Puzzle GPS"

I'm old school.... I haven't made the transition to GPS and probably never will. I just don't have any faith in, nor would I care to rely on digital technology to survive... The map & compass are still man's best friend in the wilds.... The couple in this article were quite lucky to survive...

http://www.timesunion.com/default/ar...PS-1032617.php
thebluesman5748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
yellowcanoe

I don't blame the GPS. The USA is becoming a nation of non thinking sheep.

Seriously you don't think that couple would be capable or interested in learning map and compass skills.

Where did common sense go? Somewhere as a nation we have lost our minds.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
daLunartik

A few years ago, there were a couple of accidents involving cars and Metro-North Trains, when a driver turned onto the Metro-North Rail Tracks as his GPS instructed him to. NY Times Story Here

It's all about the most important tool - the one between yer ears
Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I cannot think of any occasion when my hand held GPS has failed me. I always have my destination coordinates punched in as well as waypoints for whatever turns I may have to make on my route, whether it be a trail or a bushwhack.

And yes, I always carry a compass and topo maps of the area I am in.

Now as far as the gps's that are sold for automobiles. I question their accuracy. They are mass produced for a nation that is in general lazy, not to bright and lacking any common sense. That being said, I own one. mainly so that I have a little heads up of exactly when the street is coming up that i need to turn on. Before going on any trip, I always "scout" it on a paper map, either make notes from the map which direction and where to turn, or I've let a couple of different programs (Streets and trips & Mapquest or Google) print the directions for me and then I highlight what i need to know for quick reference.

I often wonder how many people even bother getting State highway maps or Atlases for driving?

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
yellowcanoe

I just picked up a 2011 Rand and McNally road atlas as my old one somehow lost New York. As its always in the middle its the first to detach.

I find my car GPS handy in traversing urban areas..like the 1-9-78-22-21 spaghetti gob in Newark NJ.

do I trust it always..no. Outside Kenora ON it wanted me to turn right. Am I as stupid as to blindly obey when on the right is a cliff? It had me fixed as driving up a lake in the water.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
The WW2 generation is taking it with them.

We've always used a map and compass, if Joshua Slocum could sail the planet without batteries we should be able to walk through the woods without them.
I agree with hat you say, but by the same token, if the founders of this country and the pioneers could live without electricity and automobiles, internet, phones, etc then we should all follow that path too. And it would make for a healthier planet and healthier people.

The indigenous people of this country managed to clothe, feed and provide shelter for themselves without manufacturing, utilities or firearms, so why not us?

And BTW A compass is technology and so are altimeters, chronographs, sextants and maps. GPS is but an evolution of navigation technology.

hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I often wonder how many people even bother getting State highway maps or Atlases for driving?
I know Hawk does... but who else remembers when you could pick up a detailed road map of your state for FREE at any gas station... when there were real gas stations that also serviced your car and checked your oil with a fill-up (or for $1 worth of gas if that is all the cash you had on hand).

Think of a GPS as a TOOL, much like a you might use a ruler (one with batteries) on a construction project. Other rulers (tools) will/should get you the same answer and should not be discounted entirely. They might not be as convenient in some situations, but should always be available to check your work or as a backup if/when the modern one fails. Heck, they might be more instructive of reality and fun to use too.

Don't rely on a single point of failure method or device in what could become a critical situation, particularly one that easily lures you into a dumb dependence and a non-thinking state of mind.

Last edited by Wldrns; 02-28-2011 at 12:19 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
yellowcanoe

you're dating yourself!

I used to have some maps from Esso. More from Texaco.

I also remember getting free drinking glasses with fill ups.

this is kind of a fun timewaster site

http://gassigns.org/

uh oh..hijack warning. Not much to do with GPS.

on the site however I found a link to old road maps

http://zippy.cso.uiuc.edu/~roma/roadmaps/
Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The difference between car GPS units, and hiking units, is that hiking GPS units simply display the map and show where you are, while car GPS units attempt to interpret the data for you. Much more room for error there, and the issue of course, is that when something else takes over the map interpretation, many humans cease any attempt at interpreting things for themselves.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
FTHR&DAGHTR

I feel that the hand held GPS gives far too many people the false sense of security that sends them out into situations that they would not normally put themselves in. That has been discussed on this forum many times before. The lack of common sense plus a self preservation feeling is what seems to be missing. The GPS unit I use in the car has never been wrong. It is as accurate as the atlas I always consult before leaving home on any trip!

....... with the good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.......
FTHR&DAGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote