Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Dog's don't like change

Dog's don't understand a simple concept like moving.

Hilarious but also very true.

Nipper is still upset after 8 months.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
bluequill

Perhaps they do assimilate to their new surroundings but don't behave as they did in their old home. They could take on a whole new identity and habits in relation to their new surroundings.....we see it as not adapting to the new home. Just a thought, no evidence to back that up.

What is Nipper doing that is making him strange?
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Dogs don't particularly like when someone else moves either.
When my daughter got married and moved in with her hubby, Max ( a shepherd, huskie, rottweiler mutt) waited patiently by the bay window for two years for my daughter to return "home".
To add to Max's confusion, daughter and son-in-law moved back in when they were between houses.
Moving out into their next house triggered another two years of waiting by the window...
And it's been four years since he needed to wait for the schoolbus to drop off my son.
Max still waits by the window around 2:00 PM each day, even though the bus doesn't stop....

Devotion and long memories....I guess that's a good combo?
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Perhaps they do assimilate to their new surroundings but don't behave as they did in their old home. They could take on a whole new identity and habits in relation to their new surroundings.....we see it as not adapting to the new home. Just a thought, no evidence to back that up.

What is Nipper doing that is making him strange?
He has to try to be close all the time in the house. He paces as if he's having anxiety. He is visibly upset if I have to go out and he can't come with me. he's all over me when i walk back in the door. He's gotten very territorial, he growls if people sit on "his" couch. I have to keep people away from him when I walk him because I'm not sure he won't lunge at them.

All this since we moved and then a month later I had to give away my other dog because she just wasn't doing good in the city. So that added to the trauma.

Now I'm really worried because next week I am going to board him in a kennel for two nights so i can go to my brothers for thanksgiving. In the past when I was away he was always home and there was also someone he knew and had an affection for around. I can't take him because Doug is allergic to animals and I don't want him shedding at their place.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
yellowcanoe

You have gotten yourself into a big Catch 22. I can read your worry even over the Internet. You are tense and fearful of what is going to happen.

Your dog can read your mood like a book. If you are upset the dog is going to be too. If you treat your goings out like no big deal the dog thinks its not big deal.

However I think the dog has gotten the upper hand and now owns you.

I say this not out of disrespect or a wish to troll. I really wish I had something positive to say to encourage you with, but with Thanksgiving now just a few days away, there is not enough time to do the hard work to reshift the dogs thinking.

I think its not about the moving at all. Its about your reaction to the moving.

I would not expect your dog to like the kennel nor to eat. But unless there ae health problems, dogs can go with out eating. Perhaps if you can accept that kennelling is not going to be fun but is necessary, the dog wont read so much tenseness in you.

That" calm assertive stuff "you see on TV really does work but not in one hour!
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
fvrwld

Yellowcanoe makes some good points.

Also...have you been walking him as much as when you lived in Wells? That dog is very high energy, a lot of which he expelled while romping around with Lady. He may need to be exercised even more. You have a friend doesn't live too far from you who runs on a regular basis. Maybe she would take him along on her runs.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
yellowcanoe

I have a dog( and have had several). Being a Golden(which may count more towards being a lovable rug and less toward dog) she has lived and camped and currently moves between two houses. As long as she is with her people she cares absolutely nothing about where she is.

My daughter has a combi flatcoated retreiver and Border Collie. That dog requires a lot of exercise. And the family works too many jobs to be able to do that. Ergo the dog is bored. Yet craves company. We had the dog up here and started by running the dog (us on a bike) six miles a day. That pent up energy dissipated and the dog became less tense and anxious and plain fidgety. Bandit went to Bandit from Psycho Dog. The dog still needs to learn better who is boss; that jumping thing is hard to break.

Now my Golden has inoperative terminal cancer. In my guilt I dont leave her home much. When I do she senses I feel bad and gets feeling antsy. (if I am upset she must need to be upset). She is following me around everywhere.

I have been told by more than one person that dogs do go by routine but dont remember time well. While your dog might not like the kennel, Hawk, the dog won't remember if it was five minutes or two days.

Many of us can probably relate to taking our dogs hiking, Us being exhausted after. We go to put the leash away when we finally dig ourselves out of a chair. (when we got home we just dumped it anywhere) and the dog thinks ..Walk Walk Whoopee! And all we were thinking of is bed....

Princess is demanding her daily bike run... Must go.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote