Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
thebluesman5748

Adirondack Bucks...

The attached website is loaded with some awsome photo's of Adirondack bucks. At the bottom of all the photo's there's an additional link to click on for more photo's of years past. Don't miss it, it's just great, and will definitely get the juices flowing.

Question: Does anyone know if "The Horn Hunters" clan still exhists...? They were featured in the December 1983 issue of "Outdoor Life". There's a photo of them in the classic section of photo's from the past on this site.

They were my kind of hunters. Strategy: Tracking in the backcountry.

http://www.adkhunter.com/photos.html

Bluesman
thebluesman5748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Kraut

Lets post some here: These are some of our camp's bucks from inside the blue line - some are from a while back, some are most recent

Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
ADKian

WOW that last one looks huge! Where was that shot?
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
thebluesman5748

Great photo's Kraut. That last one looks as though it was dead for some time (rigormortis) before you got it up on that scale hanging from the tree. Beautiful rack. I'd guestimate the weight had to be well over the 200lb marker....
Would you care to give us a "proximity" of where your camp is located within the Blue Line...?
thebluesman5748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
geogymn

Black River Forest 9 Pointer 2008
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1108080731.jpg (68.3 KB, 151 views)
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

When we were coming out of Corey's yesterday there was a Blue pickup with the sign in the window Horn hunters, In big letters.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluesman5748 View Post
Great photo's Kraut. That last one looks as though it was dead for some time (rigormortis) before you got it up on that scale hanging from the tree. Beautiful rack. I'd guestimate the weight had to be well over the 200lb marker....
Would you care to give us a "proximity" of where your camp is located within the Blue Line...?
bluesman. good story with the last one, I had done a 3 mile "drive" and had just hit a skidder trail and was walking back to the truck. I hear a shot from one of the members of our camp and radio to him (he was about 2 miles away) and said he was grouse hunting with his A-5, and kicked out a doe, decided to sit down and put a slug in the shotgun. about 20 minutes later this buck moseys by and he shot it. As the king of understatement, he thought it was a little 120 lb, 6 pt. and would drag it to a landing and I would swing by and pick him up.

about an hour later he says, the deer is a little bigger than he thought and his radio battery is dying and he only moved the deer 50 yards and he was a long way from the truck. So I get another member and my dad (who is in most of the other pictures) and it takes us about an hour to find him - he was about 3/4 of a mile from the truck and overheated pretty bad. My buddy stayed at the truck, we found the guy and the deer, they take all the guns, coats, equipment etc and pick out the path and I drug the deer out solo. The bad news was that deer was shot in a 400 acre 10 year old clear cut (2" striped maples about 2 feet apart), which was real, real rough 2 hours of dragging, good news was about 10 seconds after we got the deer loaded up and crawled in the vehicle the skies opened up and it rained like h@ll.

I think I slept the entire next day (and the deer amazingly only dressed at 195)
Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
wildbrookies

Awesome Adk. Bucks!!!

Very interesting dropper tine in the 2nd picture!!

Sure gets my whitetail blood stirring...thanks for sharin`

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
ADKian

That's a great story Kraut and great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I almost spit my drink out when I read that it dressed out at 195. I thought for sure it looked well into the 200's. 12 more days!
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote