Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
WNYakker

Backpack and Daypack Size Recommendations

What size Backpack do you experts recommend for a typical Summertime 1 or 2 night trip in the ADK's?

What size Daypack for a single summertime day hike/mountain climb in the ADK's?

I am a complete newby to hiking/backpacking....I went to the local EMS store and the helpful employee answered my basic questions....I really like the Osprey brand, but I am stuck on what size I need.

I realize it all depends what I plan to take, but I have done some research on minimizing the load.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Hi Phil.

First of all you can't go wrong with the Ospreys.

The Kestrel 68 is good for a couple of overnights and the pack I now am using.

A little larger you have the Osprey Aether for multi overnights.

Personally I prefer the Kestrel.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
Dick
somewhere out there...

I have an Osprey Atmos 50, which I currently use as a daypack (large) and as a one or two overnight pack. But before you decide upon a model and size, I would first ask what you plan on putting into the pack. Even bring gear to the store and try several out with your real gear in it (not one of those phony weighted pads the store uses). If you're lucky, you'll get one that fits well all around. Then decide what bells and whistles you want/need.

Here is a website that might help:
http://www.backpacking-guide.com/hiking-backpacks.html

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I generally rely on the following estimates when shopping for a new pack:

Summer day hikes: 1000-2000 cubic inches
Fall/Spring day hikes: 2000-3000 cubic inches
Winter day hikes or summer overnights with ultra light gear: 3000-4000 cubic inches
Summer/Fall/Spring overnights: 4000-5000 cubic inches
Winter overnights: 5000+ cubic inches
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

My son-in-law has an Osprey pack, not sure which model.

His favorite feature is the way it flies to his outstretched arm...
(his words, not mine!)
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
My son-in-law has an Osprey pack, not sure which model.

His favorite feature is the way it flies to his outstretched arm...
(his words, not mine!)
Actually the Ospreys do seem easier to don when full then packs i have had in the past. The engineering on them is remarkable. They almost seem "lighter" then they actually are when full. I attribute that to the way it distributes the weight.

Now woth pockets in the hip belt, a new way to carry trekking poles so that they are quickly accessible without having to remove the pack or have your buddy get them is great. And the newer models now have the built in rain cover that can be deployed quickly.

I used to have the largest Atmos, but now I use the kestrel which has met all my needs. I think I could handle four or five overnights with it if I carry a down bag and a tarp tent or hammock.

As other people have said, there are a lot of considerations to be made when choosing a backpack. After all it's going to be a part of you for the time you are out there so it certainly needs to be comfortable. As time goes on, you will find that you don't need to carry about 60% of what you do and you can downsize your pack accordingly.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
WNYakker

Thank you all for your Advice!!!!

I think I have narrowed it down to the Osprey Stratos 24 at 1600 cubic inches for Day Hiking and either the Kestrel 68 or Atmos 65 for doing the 1 or 2 overnight camp trips....I will let you all know how I am progressing.

Phil
Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
ADKian

Sorry to bring back an old post, but I just got the Osprey Kestrel 48 for christmas. My wife and I went to EMS a few weeks ago so I could be fit and try a few different packs. I picked a couple out and the Kestrel is the one she got for me. I'm glad because it's the one I would have gotten had I had the choice in store that day. I chose to go with the 48 because I tend to bring a lot of things I don't need if I have more room. I had 35lbs in the pack and walked around for an hour barely even knowing it was on. This is my first "real" pack as when I started backpacking last year I cheaped out on equipment and got a Coleman pack. I paid the price and decided that going cheap wasn't the way to go. Just wanted to make sure I was into it first before buying good equipment. I can't wait for the warm weather to get here and try it in the field.
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote