Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are hunting clubs becoming a thing of the past in the Adirondack?
yes 54 38.85%
no 85 61.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
duell79

Adirondack Hunting Clubs seeking members

Hi Everyone.
We have a hunting club in the Long Lake NY area and are in need of some members. It has been discouraging looking for members the last few years. It seems as though either people have a bad taste for hunting clubs because so many clubs have been forced out by recent state land purchases or the economy has affected hunters ablities to afford hunting clubs. We have been in existance since 1971 and could become another casualty soon without new members. Gone are the days when you go to camp to hunt with 10 or so fellow members. Our club now gets 2-4 members a weekend and sometimes none at all. It is a shame to lose our club because we just finished building a beautiful new lodge and are one of the few clubs that has tried to keep it's annual dues reasonable: we only pay $500 per year. Are there others out there experiencing the same problem as we are? I would like to hear your opinions as to why this seems to be happening. If anyone is looking for a place to hunt look us up. gmartin79@hotmail.com
duell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Where in Long Lake? I am familiar with Minerva, Fishing Brook Range,Cold Springs and the Kempshaw clubs.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Little Rickie

I hope not.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
EagleCrag

I own a camp with my sister (inherited) and when I was young we used to have a campfull of guys. Now it is just me. I would consider joining another hunting club just for the camaraderie, but won't as I can't justify the expense when I already have a camp. The mountains and hills in the area I hunt also hold cherished memories shared with my father, brother and other hunting companions. I have looked for other hunting companions to join me, but I find most are older like myself and already have their haunts. There just don't seem to be many younger hunters. All the easements the state has instituted has done away with hunting camps that were in place for generations. I believe it is an Adirondack tradition that is dying. So sad to see when our youth really needs to get out from behind the TV & electronics and get outside.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
dpc34

Is this the camp accross from the old Trophy Ridge Club, I once had a camp in there. I think just up the road from your old one....dave.. On circle Rd, I think your old camp burned down....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
duell79

We are the Buck Mtn Club, we along Rte 30 and the Sabattis Circle road all the way to Little Tupper Lake. We lease 1350 acres. We are adjacent to the W C Whitney state land. We have a max membership of 28 and are at 17 currently. We have a brand new cabin that is 20 x 40 with a bunk room and living area, hot and cold running water, that is very nice. The dues are $500 per year which we pay $250 in March and $250 in Sept. If you are interested in more information or seeing the club let me know. I can show you around almost anytime as I live in Tupper Lake. I am the only member from the immediate area. Our cabin that was built in 1971 burned down in October 2006 but we were insured and we rebuilt. I attached some pics of the new cabin. Sorry but the one of the outside was taken when we were building a few years ago but it is complete now. We are directly across from the old Trophy Ridge club and I was even a member there also until they were closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabin_1.jpg (88.4 KB, 1693 views)
File Type: jpg living_room.jpg (58.1 KB, 1651 views)
File Type: jpg livingroom_2.jpg (57.8 KB, 1632 views)
File Type: jpg livingroom_3.jpg (57.8 KB, 1629 views)
File Type: jpg bunkroom.jpg (50.9 KB, 1630 views)
File Type: jpg buckroom_2.jpg (50.1 KB, 1624 views)
Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
fisher39

Just as a general question regarding hunting clubs, are they just for hunting, or might they appeal to other people - fishermen, birdwatchers, hikers, paddlers, etc? I'm a young hunter, but as a matter of simple demographics, I wouldn't want to have to rely on recruiting new hunters to pay the bills. As you are right near Little Tupper (and Lila), I can see the place being quite appealing to non-hunters. Perhaps "hunting clubs" should become "outdoors clubs."
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
jan

I've never seen a hunting club that has a vacuum cleaner!
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
I've never seen a hunting club that has a vacuum cleaner!
I was thinking the same thing. But I see a sure sign that it is still a "man's" club though... as noted from the lack of curtains on the windows.

Seriously, maybe the philosophy of the old style hunting club could be changing. My father hunted intently all of his life, and I certainly enjoyed the sport with him as well, but he was not a drinker or smoker or card player. And though not anti-ATV at the time in the early years, he didn't care for unnecessarily tearing up the terrain with machines either. That pretty much meant he was not interested in the club life. However, I've been hearing more about members of the hiking community looking into in joining these clubs, for the purpose of gaining hiking access to previously closed lands. Interesting concept methinks.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Maybe you should have your members post information at their local rod & gun clubs?

I know the club in my hometown is trying to recruit as many younger people as possible. They seem to be doing an OK job at it. Last time I went to one of their trap league shoots, there was a fair number of younger people there.

It is all about passing on the legacy to your kids - if you don't have children, then your nieces, nephews and neighbors kids.

Before I had kids - and even now after I have kids, I offer to take my nephews up to camp every time I go.

My oldest daughter just turned three. I have already bought her a lifetime sportsman license - whether she fishes and hunts later in life is still unseen, but I can do my best to make the outdoors an enjoyable experience for her while she is a kid.

She already loves to go to camp. The black flies didn't even seem to phase her as she was having such a good time. I take her hiking at local state parks and fishing whenever I can. We look through pictures in outdoor orientated magazines.

If you want something out of your community you need to put something in first.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_nyp View Post

My oldest daughter just turned three. I have already bought her a lifetime sportsman license - whether she fishes and hunts later in life is still unseen, but I can do my best to make the outdoors an enjoyable experience for her while she is a kid.
Man, I wish someone bought me a lifetime sportsman license when I was a kid! It is quite the bargain.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Adirondack Composer

Electric lights and receptacles throughout, television, computers, refrigerator, mattresses, vacumn cleaner...........no wonder you're having trouble getting hunters. Try advertising for city-slickers! (just kidding, of course...but it is surprising how tamed the "hunter" has become)

www.frederickwarner.com
Adirondack Composer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
MDL23

I voted "no", it was more of a "I hope not" vote more than anything.

I agree with Composer - It was kind of funny to see the laptop computer on the table of camp, and I'm not sure I would enjoy camp as much without the propane lights.

Your camp does like very nice though, even with all of those high tech, new fangled electric lights.

-Matt
MDL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
bobadkhunter

Beautiful looking modern camp. I have a older camp about 15 miles away from this one, mine has a vaccum and also has direct TV. You can be very comfortable today with a good generator.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
duell79

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all of your great post, it is nice to see people still enjoy the outdoors. As for the vacuum....lol. Our original cabin was built in 1971 and burned down in Oct 2006, we were insured and we rebuilt the cabin. It has many creature comforts, but we wanted to make it nice. Our members are proud of the cabin we built with our bare hands. We do have electricity via a generator but we also have gas lights and usually use them more....we get tired of the drone of a generator. It is just nice for us to have the option. We still have our original outhouse so we are not to comfortable though....lol As for some of the comments for other uses for the club we would be more than happy to have members that used it for hiking, fishing, kayaking. We are also directly on the main snowmobile trail system. It would make a great place as a basecamp for hikers, paddlers etc because of all of the lakes and state land right around us. If that may interest you contact me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outhouse.jpg (78.5 KB, 1446 views)
Old 05-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
Just as a general question regarding hunting clubs, are they just for hunting, or might they appeal to other people - fishermen, birdwatchers, hikers, paddlers, etc? I'm a young hunter, but as a matter of simple demographics, I wouldn't want to have to rely on recruiting new hunters to pay the bills. As you are right near Little Tupper (and Lila), I can see the place being quite appealing to non-hunters. Perhaps "hunting clubs" should become "outdoors clubs."
Good point. Renaming them outdoors clubs would certainly create an air of non-exclusivity to them, but more importantly, they need to be promoted as such. I added my thoughts regarding clubs in the Private Clubs thread in a not-too-blatant (I hope) pseudo-troll for new members a while ago, but there wasn't much interest generated. I would think that's because this forum is more of a free-use-of-the-outdoors hiking, camping place of conversation than it is cabin-in-the-woods forum. I am not a hunter, hiker, climber, skiier, paddler or any of the things that this forum holds dear...yet. But I hope to begin enjoying these activities now that I am re-established back in the ADKS. I do find the conversations scintillating and that is why I read the forum so frequently. It is a connection back to my younger past that I am genuinely resurrecting now that I am approaching retirement and have more leisure time. The only reason I joined the BMLC is because after 7 years of heavy duty searching and many dead end trips to look at property I was able to latch onto a cabin with lake frontage in the remote outback and with no neighbors to speak of for a mere pittance of the going rate for such property; that is what I've been looking for as a getaway from work, from the city, from everything. I really don't care if I don't own the land. I feel as if I have a 5000 acre back yard now and all the freedom I wanted.

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrok View Post
Good point. Renaming them outdoors clubs would certainly create an air of non-exclusivity to them, but more importantly, they need to be promoted as such. I added my thoughts regarding clubs in the Private Clubs thread in a not-too-blatant (I hope) pseudo-troll for new members a while ago, but there wasn't much interest generated. I would think that's because this forum is more of a free-use-of-the-outdoors hiking, camping place of conversation than it is cabin-in-the-woods forum...
I remember that post! I'm glad to see these places are still around. I do a lot of hunting in the Adirondacks (pretty much every other weekend from the start of grouse season through November), but it really is just a small portion of what I do up in the Adirondacks. When I hear the term "hunting club" I get the impression that it is just something that would be of use during a relatively short part of the year, but the term "outdoors club" makes it sound like something that would be of use year round.

Even though I'm an avid hunter, I'd be much more likely to consider joining an "outdoors club" rather than a "hunting club." And of course there's all of the baggage that the term "hunting" and "hunters" carries for hunters and non-hunters alike.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

Not to mention the <groan> ATV rallies held there. Like my kindred bud chairrock said "like minded people...while paying the rent"
John I promise this is the last time I'll drag you into the conversation...promise XXX.

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
adkman12986

The term "hunting Club" has been around for hundreds of years and true that they give these clubs the impression that they are strickly used for hunting, many are just what you have mentioned. Clubs for many adventures.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #20
Kraut

duell79,

I belong to a club that is part of the easement lands in the northern part of the park, although we have many of our own issue that we are wrestling with right now to secure the future of the club, for the most part our membership has been fairly strong. The club was incorporated in 1953, although the camp has been there in one form or another since at least 1909.

Many of the nearby clubs have their membership issues, mostly because they tended to be fairly tight-knit and did not recruit younger members (family or otherwise) as they got older, so as the older members passed on - entire generations were missing to keep recruitment going. Our membership is about 20 people, mostly middle-aged, but with a good mix of older and younger people too. For the most part, its comprised of families, with sons/grandsons becoming members as they get old enough

One other thing to mention was that although the club was strictly a hunting club in prior years where there was use for just the hunting season, it is somewhat more used nowdays, as we'll make a trip or 2 to fish, complete camp chores, hide from the wives, etc. every year.

and your outhouse looks a lot better than ours

Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adirondack, camp, club, deer, hunting