Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Blackhawk

NYS Coywolf

While I've spent countless hours in the 'Dacks over the years while hunting, fishing, photog and camping/packing with family and friends - I've never been able to get a photo of a coywolf in the 'Dacks. But I did experience a brief, close encounter with what I believe to have been a coywolf not a coyote.

I've recently taken infrared photos (w/trailcam) of a creature that I believe is part coyote and part wolf. The location is approximately one hour from the Catskill Park border.

I'm new to this forum (1st post) so if the attachments don't come through the first time I post I'll try again.

Your comments are appreciated.

ps - please note the length and carriage of the tail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 02 13 F 1370 b (3).jpg (24.3 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg 2010 02 13 F 1359 b (3).jpg (27.2 KB, 265 views)

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
swizzlenutz
Professional Bottle Digger

This is the first time I've ever heard of a coywolf. I didn't think the 2 species could crossbreed. I do know a trapper that got a 75lb coyote a few years back. Maybe that was a coywolf and I just didn't realize it. Oh that was around the Great Sacandaga area to the best of my knowledge. That's where the guy lives anyways and I believe he runs most of his trap lines close to home. Swiz
swizzlenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Welcome to the forum, Blackhawk!

Nice pics...pretty impressive looking animal.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
swizzlenutz

Wow, those are pretty cool links. I remember when we were younger my Mom was taking me and my 3 sisters down to the neighbors house for a visit and we saw a really large coyote. It looked like it was a little bigger then a full grown German Shepard. It stopped in the middle of the road, showed us his teeth and growled a bit and then did a quick walk off into the woods. That was over 25 years ago though. Do you think the coywolves have been here that long? I suppose its possible. I wonder if they are more aggressive towards humans then a grey wolf? I really don't see them being a major threat towards humans though. It'd be nice to see a few on the trail sometime. Swiz
Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
podolecgb

Was this near human homes? It kind of looks like a husky. It's kind of hard to tell what it is. Very interesting though.
podolecgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Hobbitling
spring fever

Coyotes don't really avoid human homes very much. They're quite comfortable wandering through suburbs at night.

nice pictures. Reconyx makes the best camera traps by a long shot.

have you checked out the blog "Camera Trap Codger"? it's a semi retired biologist who has several dozen camera traps (many home made) that he sets all over California just for fun. He gets some amazing shots.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
dundee

[QUOTE=swizzlenutz;141343....I wonder if they are more aggressive towards humans then a grey wolf? I really don't see them being a major threat towards humans though. It'd be nice to see a few on the trail sometime. Swiz[/QUOTE]

Read this sad story: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=12664
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Blackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by podolecgb View Post
Was this near human homes? It kind of looks like a husky. It's kind of hard to tell what it is. Very interesting though.
Podo . . .,
thanks for the reply and comments.

just like bears live and hibernate near/within populated areas - even under porches and decks - this coywolf and his pack (an adult female with 3 pups from last year) also frequents nearby homes near a tract of 150 acres of undeveloped lands. We're also within several miles of thousands of acres of protected lands with high deer densities.

while i don't see any evidence that these particular coyotes/coywolf are taking healthy adult deer - they might be taking fawns since I'm not recording a sustainable number of fawns with does.

the human creatures here don't have a clue to what's going on in their backyards while they sleep - unless they're on my distribution lists.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Blackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
Coyotes don't really avoid human homes very much. They're quite comfortable wandering through suburbs at night.

nice pictures. Reconyx makes the best camera traps by a long shot.

have you checked out the blog "Camera Trap Codger"? it's a semi retired biologist who has several dozen camera traps (many home made) that he sets all over California just for fun. He gets some amazing shots.
thanks for the tip on the 'camera trap codger' - i'll look it up later.

re the reconyx camera - we've been using two at the same location and have mentioned to the reconyx rep that we're the northeast test crew for reconyx.
the cameras are working ok for now but they each had their problems from the start - but reconyx took them back and replaced parts.

i've also got much to say about other trailcam mfgrs. and sales - but i'll reserve those comments for later and in another venue.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
swizzlenutz

I've had one encounter with a young bear. I was fishing down a small tributary just up from the iron bridge on the powley/piseco road and he followed me for a dozen yards or so before I finally saw him. Personally bears are a bigger concern to me then a couple 'yotes. I think black bear attacks are probably more common, but that could change if coyote or coywolf attacks are on the rise. Just imagine climbing down their hole to pull out there pups to play with. I bet Redhawks done that a few times. Swiz
Old 03-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
Hobbitling
spring fever

If you count one attack as "on the rise" then yes, coyote attacks are on the rise.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Blackhawk: I'm curious about your thoughts on trail cams. you should start a thread.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
dpc34

I love my trail cams, it is like checking a trap line. They do tell you how to pattern deer. The pic of the coy----- is not new to me, I have had pics of the a coyote coming to the same spot for 30 days in a row..note if you are looking for a camera don't get hung up on numbers of pixs...dave
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
podolecgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
Podo . . .,
thanks for the reply and comments.

just like bears live and hibernate near/within populated areas - even under porches and decks - this coywolf and his pack (an adult female with 3 pups from last year) also frequents nearby homes near a tract of 150 acres of undeveloped lands. We're also within several miles of thousands of acres of protected lands with high deer densities.

while i don't see any evidence that these particular coyotes/coywolf are taking healthy adult deer - they might be taking fawns since I'm not recording a sustainable number of fawns with does.

the human creatures here don't have a clue to what's going on in their backyards while they sleep - unless they're on my distribution lists.
I donít want you to think I am arguing with you because I really could not. I only know of a few things to tell one animal from another and wouldnít even say I could do it 100% with out looking it up.

Iím not saying it is or isnít a coywolf. My interest on how close to human homes is to reduce the idea that itís not just someoneís dog. Dogs tend to stay within about a mile of their homes. Where as if you told me this was taken in the middle of no where, it would lessen the chance that itís some ones dog. I do understand that coyotes do not show the same avoidance of humans as some animals.

As for a true identification you canít really make them from these photos. It could be a full blooded wolf, coyote, coywolf, or a domestic dog. There is nothing in the photo that indicates this animal is larger then one or the other. If there was a better shot of the muzzle it would allow better identification. I guess I donít see what made you conclude it was a coywolf. I am by far no expert so maybe Iím missing it.

As for the photos, I think they are great photos. Iím jealous of the quality of your cam. I have a Wildview and it doesnít take nearly as good of photos as yours.
podolecgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
dpc34

Our family ran sled dogs for a number of years, the animal that you are looking at has a lot of hair this time of the year. It has its full winter coat which makes it look alot larger and heavier than he/she really is... It is also breeding time for these animals with pups being born in about 63days.....My guess it is a coyote with a full winter coat..Just my guess...dave
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #16
adk
Adirondack Forest

Coywolves... very common

Quote:
While I've spent countless hours in the 'Dacks over the years while hunting, fishing, photog and camping/packing with family and friends - I've never been able to get a photo of a coywolf in the 'Dacks. But I did experience a brief, close encounter with what I believe to have been a coywolf not a coyote.

I've recently taken infrared photos (w/trailcam) of a creature that I believe is part coyote and part wolf. The location is approximately one hour from the Catskill Park border.

I'm new to this forum (1st post) so if the attachments don't come through the first time I post I'll try again.

Great image. I have seen many Coywolves over the years, all over New England. They are not only *very* common these days but well documented and genetic studies have confirmed the mix. A quick Google search will provide a great read, as far as near humans, that is a daily occurrence. They are not shy at all about living near people - in fact they thrive. They may bolt during the day, sometimes they don't even do that. I have seen them from the Northern Adirondacks to Massachusetts many many times and that image looks 100% like a Coywolf to me. There are some very large males and as they are crossed with Red wolf and the amount of of Wolf varies between different pocket population (according to studies that have been documented and published) I would guess your image shows an animal with more wolf genes. They also look much larger in winter with their thicker coats. I filmed one this past fall sitting in a corn field that looks huge when he stood up however I would guess he was only about 50 pounds maybe 60 but with the thick winter fur looked much larger. They are an awesome animal filling a predatory niche in today's current ecology. Thanks for sharing
Old 03-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
Blackhawk

Thanks for the reply/comments ADK and also to the others who commented.
I've got numerous pictures of coyotes and numerous pictures (thousands of trailcam photos) of coyotes and this creature I'm referring to as coywolf (i'll call him King).
I've been observing them and others for many years as well as having hands-on experience.
The two photos that I'ved submitted so far look nothing like the others. and since I know the actual measurements of the various objects and distances within the scenes I now have a good idea of King's measurements.

the others don't have the same type/length of fur, body/head size or shape and the tail length/carriage is very different.

I also have photos of King in the same frame as another animal that I'd say is definitely a female coyote - there's a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk View Post
Great image. I have seen many Coywolves over the years, all over New England. They are not only *very* common these days but well documented and genetic studies have confirmed the mix. A quick Google search will provide a great read, as far as near humans, that is a daily occurrence. They are not shy at all about living near people - in fact they thrive. They may bolt during the day, sometimes they don't even do that. I have seen them from the Northern Adirondacks to Massachusetts many many times and that image looks 100% like a Coywolf to me. There are some very large males and as they are crossed with Red wolf and the amount of of Wolf varies between different pocket population (according to studies that have been documented and published) I would guess your image shows an animal with more wolf genes. They also look much larger in winter with their thicker coats. I filmed one this past fall sitting in a corn field that looks huge when he stood up however I would guess he was only about 50 pounds maybe 60 but with the thick winter fur looked much larger. They are an awesome animal filling a predatory niche in today's current ecology. Thanks for sharing

Old 03-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
Blackhawk

FYI,

Thur., March 4, 4:30-6:30 p.m., PANEL DISCUSSION on “Wile E. Coyote In Your Backyard: What You Should Know About Canis latrans,” with Dr. Roland Kays of NYS Museum on “New York’s Coyote/Coydog/Coywolf: What is it and how did it get here?”; Dan Bogan of Cornell University on “Suburban coyote behavioral ecology; implications for ecology and management;” and Robin Holevinski, of SUNY ESF on “Foraging Ecology and Population Status of Eastern Coyotes.” Student Lounge, Vanderlyn Hall, SUNY Ulster, Stone Ridge. Part of a free lecture series, 2020 Vision for the Catskills, sponsored by Catskill Institute for the Environment. Public invited. 845-687-5231. www.catskillinstitute.org

Old 03-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
Blackhawk

here's a couple more pics to give some perspective of size.
the deer carcass was a roadkill used at the trailcam location as an experiment.
the orange object laying on the carcass is a yardstick (=36").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009 October-06 b.jpg (154.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 2010 02 06 F x 171 a.jpg (83.6 KB, 145 views)

Old 03-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #20
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:

This has your images written all over it - http://mlpbsproductions.org/blog/