Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Spitzna

Crows Loop Nov.2

Hiked the Crows today with my father and my uncle. Was my uncles 50th birthday. What a great day. We started out around 10:30 and finished around 1:30 with lots of sitting around on the summit and open ledges. Started off with some clouds but it cleared out while on the top of Big Crow. We started on O'toole road and ended on east hill. Very quick hike from O'toole to Big Crow. Views are amazing for such a short and easy hike. Almost got lost on the way down Little Crow. The trail forked left and we didn't see the trail heading down. After a few outcroppings that kept heading upward i decided that this was heading back towards little crow. On the way back we saw the arrows heading down. Aftwards i read in the trail book that the trail we went on mistakly was an older trail up little crow. I highly recommend this hike to anyone. Pictures to come later.
Spitzna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
starzero
The Inquisitorial Botanist

I love the Crows as well and consider them to be one of the best bang for your buck hikes near the high peaks. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
starzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Spitzna

Rest of pics here
http://www.photosoftheadirondacks.co...s09/index.html
Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
shortcake

Very nice pictures! I must admit I've never heard of the Crows, but they look like a nice cozy little climb - right up my alley. Great way to spend a day for the Big 50 for the unc. A little affirmation for many that 50 is the new 40, eh?!
shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
what'sinaname
Slow down and enjoy it!

Nor had I heard of it. It's a little far for a day hike for me, but it sure looks nice. Thanks for sharing the photos!
what'sinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

What a beautiful day you had! Thanks for the nice pics. You got some nice shots of Pitchoff!

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Dave H
Beware the owlbear.

Great photos. I've thought about doing this hike a few times, but never did. After seeing your photos, I'll have to think about it more seriously.

Is the Crows Loop on a minimum maintenance trail, or is that the trail that extends the loop over another ridge?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Great photos. I've thought about doing this hike a few times, but never did. After seeing your photos, I'll have to think about it more seriously.

Is the Crows Loop on a minimum maintenance trail, or is that the trail that extends the loop over another ridge?
You might be thinking of the Nundagao Ridge, which I think is accessed from the Crows trail. The Crows trail is marked and maintained.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
Dave H
Beware the owlbear.

Steve - Yeah, I was thinking of Nundagao. Ever done it? Is it as nice as the Crows?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Spitzna

I've never done the nundaga range but would like to do it. I think it's about 5.7 miles loop from the big crow trail to the hurricane trail head. There is a sign on the Big Crow Trail at about the top that directs you to the nundaga trail and tells you that it's not maintented but the trail looked very easy to follow. Maybe i will do it next week sometime trying to do the wolf jaws this weekend.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
TCD

Nundagao (or the "Soda Range" on some maps) is terrific! You'll enjoy it. We've hiked it numerous times, most recently last Saturday. Lots of little ups and down, many great rocky top views, small cliffs, the gorgeous summit of litle Weston Mountain ("Rocky Spar Peak" on some maps); the Biesemeyer Lean To; Lost Pond; Gulf Brook...can't get enough of that hike.

The path used to be hard to find, 20 years ago, but has grown in popularity and is relatively east to follow. You may see an occasional marker. It is considerably harder to follow with snow cover.

Have fun!

TCD
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I would recommend Nundagao, great little loop and some fun, easy scrambles.
When my wife and I were there last, unfortunately, she reinjured her knee and we slowed to a snail's pace and eventually, I had to carry her down the last mile or so on my back!! Phew!! That ridge walk is now on her list of "I can do this" hikes...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Steve - Yeah, I was thinking of Nundagao. Ever done it? Is it as nice as the Crows?
No I haven't but it was recommended to me by RandomScooter. We had rain the day we did the Crows and things were wet and slippery, so we cut it short.