Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
looncry

which birds DON'T fly south?

I was thinkin that the Boreal chickadee,the sparrow and cardninal.Any thoughts?
Looncry
Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Chickens

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
dundee

Kiwi's?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by looncry View Post
I was thinkin that the Boreal chickadee,the sparrow and cardninal.Any thoughts?
Looncry
Gray jays, crows, ravens, grouse, turkeys, woodpeckers, the owls...

I saw robins near me throughout last winter.

White throated sparrows do migrate. I was lucky to have one stop by my place on his way south yesterday. I didn't see him it but their song is unmistakable.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
mikie

Quote:
Gray jays, crows, ravens, grouse, turkeys, woodpeckers, the owls...
Non-Migratory: Eastern Screech Owls, Great-Horned Owls, Barred Owls

Migratory: Saw-Whets, Short-Eared Owls, Long-Eared Owls, Snowy Whites
mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post
Non-Migratory: Eastern Screech Owls, Great-Horned Owls, Barred Owls

Migratory: Saw-Whets, Short-Eared Owls, Long-Eared Owls, Snowy Whites
Snowy Whites migrate North? South? Looking at their plummage,I would guess North. Is this correct? tx Looncry
Old 10-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
paddlewheel

Quote:
Snowy Whites migrate North? South? Looking at their plummage,I would guess North. Is this correct? tx Looncry
Snowy owls are originaly from the arctic regions...their main food supply is lemmings. Due to the dwindling numbers of those rodents in the arctic they visit northern & sometimes central New York in search of easier acquired chow. Otherwise they don't migrate much...they go where they find dinner.

One time I was bow hunting from a ground blind in Rennselaerville State Forest. I had got myself all situated right before sunrise...I started to drift off a little bit, then saw a shadow out of the corner of my eye. This huge Snowy was looking to check out the same area where my blind was and cruised into the same space I was in....long story short we gave each other a "heart attack"

I was thinking....doesn't this thread belong in the wildlife section? Just making sure we're all analy organized & all that happy horse-poop...

Last edited by paddlewheel; 10-23-2009 at 06:12 PM..
Old 10-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
mikie

Snowy White Owls nest in the arctic region. In the winter they migrate south. Most stay in Canada. Young Males are usually the ones you see in the United States.

They prey primarily on Lemmings in the arctic region. Lemmings go thru cycles of population explosions and collapses. This cycle usually happens every couple of years (averaging around 4-5 years). When there is a Lemming population crash, you see record numbers of Snowy Whites in the United States.

Around November you can usually see one around Coxsackie. They then migrate down towards NYC.
mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post
Snowy White Owls nest in the arctic region. In the winter they migrate south. Most stay in Canada. Young Males are usually the ones you see in the United States.

They prey primarily on Lemmings in the arctic region. Lemmings go thru cycles of population explosions and collapses. This cycle usually happens every couple of years (averaging around 4-5 years). When there is a Lemming population crash, you see record numbers of Snowy Whites in the United States.

Around November you can usually see one around Coxsackie. They then migrate down towards NYC.
whoo knew that?! Mikie! ty Looncry
Old 10-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Pheasants. And it seems as though thousands of Canada Geese no longer migrate south, and just stay on local waterways all year.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
ALGonquin Bob

Quote:
If you think about it, all birds that migrate south also migrate north (and visa-versa). It all depends on your perspective and where you live.

46er #5357W
Old 10-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
If you think about it, all birds that migrate south also migrate north (and visa-versa). It all depends on your perspective and where you live.
When you think of it,tis so. But,what in the world does your Avatar mean on the other Forum. I am waiting in anticipation! Looncry
Old 10-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
ALGonquin Bob

Quote:
When you think of it,tis so. But,what in the world does your Avatar mean on the other Forum. I am waiting in anticipation! Looncry
This one that says "TRIP"? it's just some unusual graffiti under a bridge here in town - I'll change it again soon.

46er #5357W

Last edited by ALGonquin Bob; 10-24-2009 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: spellin
Old 10-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
Boreal Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
And to elaborate on Bob's input:

Neotropicals are here as visitors in the summer to find high energy food for nesting. In effect, we are borrowing them.

Many birds that eat insects (high protein content) during nesting and raising young, go back to their home territory below the equator and dine on a diet of fruit. No longer producing eggs and feeding young, they no longer are in need of a calorie intense diet and go back to the diet of their home territory.

A very good book on this is Living On the Wind: Across the Hemisphere With Migratory Birds by Scott Weidensaul. It's not an easy read, but well worth your time.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Chickadee View Post
And to elaborate on Bob's input:

Neotropicals are here as visitors in the summer to find high energy food for nesting. In effect, we are borrowing them.

Many birds that eat insects (high protein content) during nesting and raising young, go back to their home territory below the equator and dine on a diet of fruit. No longer producing eggs and feeding young, they no longer are in need of a calorie intense diet and go back to the diet of their home territory.

A very good book on this is Living On the Wind: Across the Hemisphere With Migratory Birds by Scott Weidensaul. It's not an easy read, but well worth your time.
I never knew that. After reading my ''Evereast'' book,and the books DS and Dick recommended in a post,I will get right on this one,B.chick. tnx Looncry