Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
tracerprix

Nice place to hike near Inlet, NY

My wife and I will be staying at eighth lake campground next weekend. We are looking for a nice trail (about 5 miles round trip if not a little shorter). We will have our dog. I am not sure if there is anything in that campground or if we need to drive to Inlet or somewhere. Thanks!

Mike
tracerprix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerprix View Post
My wife and I will be staying at eighth lake campground next weekend. We are looking for a nice trail (about 5 miles round trip if not a little shorter). We will have our dog. I am not sure if there is anything in that campground or if we need to drive to Inlet or somewhere. Thanks!

Mike
Miles and miles, any length you like. There's a trailhead right there on the western side of the campground. Head toward Bug Lake and Black Bear Mtn on wide well marked interesting trails, or take a nice stroll along the NW shore of 7th lake.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
tracerprix

Why thank you! I noticed that after I looked at this map. I was not certain what was over where. Where can I find a trail map? I'm still waiting to get my Garmin Topo's for my 60CXs

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/permits_e...ighthLake1.pdf
Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerprix View Post
Why thank you! I noticed that after I looked at this map. I was not certain what was over where. Where can I find a trail map? I'm still waiting to get my Garmin Topo's for my 60CXs

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/permits_e...ighthLake1.pdf
There's really no need for a gps on these trails. Just pick up or download a topo map (the trails are shown on the topo), take a compass, watch and enjoy the landscape, and pay attention to where the trails take you.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
tracerprix

Thanks
Old 06-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
dano

cascade lake has a nice trail into it with plenty of room for a dog....
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Seeker

bubb and sis lake is a nice easy walk... mostly. a little less than 5 miles though... more like 3.5 if i remember right.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
tracerprix

More good ideas. It looks like I should just stop at the visitors center in inlet and pick up a map/guide book
Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Just south of Inlet there's a relatively short trail to a minor summit with rock ledges and nice views (Black Bear Mtn, I think ??). If memory serves, it's of the length you mention. Nice little hike -- we did it while attending Paddlefest a few years ago, when it was still held in Inlet. Unfortunately the black flies were brutal, so it might be only a 1 or 2 mile round trip...just seemed longer.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
timmedee

There is a series of five maps that give a pretty good idea of the trails in the park. The 'West-Central Wilderness Map' will cover the area from Old Forge to Blue Mountain Lake. They are $5 each and can be picked up at the hardware store in Inlet.
timmedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
dano

cascade lake has a nice waterfall at the far end of the lake as well
Old 06-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
rbi99

Bald Mountain, just North of Old Forge, on RT 28 is another hike with real nice views of the various lakes in the area. Also has a fire tower on the summit. Easy hike up. Only a couple of miles one way I think.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #13
lanceman

Ferd's Bog

Ferd's bog in Inlet is a great place for birdwatching. You are also not too far from Blue Mtn. and Castle Rock.
lanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #14
pato frenzzy
pato frenzzy

second castle rock
Old 06-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #15
dano

http://www.inletny.com/downloads/Hiking.pdf

here is a map
Old 06-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
tracerprix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Thank you!!! I actually tried to look at that map last weekend and the link was broken. I forgot to check it again!

Mike
Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #17
rollinslover64

There is a trailhead just south of Inlet for Rocky Mountain.Probably the same one PARidgerunner mentioned.It's less than a half hour to the summit.Black Bear can also be reached from this trailhead.I did Bald,Black Bear, and Rocky a few years ago on the same day and still had lots of daytime left.The trail from Eighth lake to Black Bear is excellent but it's about 8 miles round trip to the summit of Black Bear. That's a little longer than you are looking for but it is easy walking.The views are awesome and the summit is large and open.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Connie Bear Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
Just south of Inlet there's a relatively short trail to a minor summit with rock ledges and nice views (Black Bear Mtn, I think ??). If memory serves, it's of the length you mention. Nice little hike -- we did it while attending Paddlefest a few years ago, when it was still held in Inlet. Unfortunately the black flies were brutal, so it might be only a 1 or 2 mile round trip...just seemed longer.

My GPS showed Black Bear Mtn. as 4.5 mile round trip, up the bug lake trail.

That is 4.5 miles round trip from the Uncas Rd Trail head.
Connie Bear Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #19
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
Bald Mountain, just North of Old Forge, on RT 28 is another hike with real nice views of the various lakes in the area. Also has a fire tower on the summit. Easy hike up. Only a couple of miles one way I think.
heading there June 24th weather-permitting! Looncry
Old 06-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
dano

Quote:
Originally Posted by looncry View Post
heading there June 24th weather-permitting! Looncry

i think its less than a mile and about a 600-700 vertical climb one way...a real easy hike that takes about 30-45 minutes at a relaxed pace.....there are always tons of people up there midday so if you dont like crowds go real early or better yet do what we have done and do a midnight climb up there....