Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
fvrwld

Thirteenth Lake camping

Per the DEC website... "There are four newly created accessible campsites and accessible outhouses on the north end of Thirteenth Lake"

Does anyone know if these are drive-in sites? Could we put a small camper on one?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
colden46

No, IIRC there's a parking area and you'd have to walk in. (I know there's a parking area, I just can't remember if the path leading to the sites is barricaded or not). Since I've hand-carried a canoe down to the water, rather than driving down, dropping it off, and coming back up to park, I'm pretty sure you can't drive to the sites. I'm sure somebody knows for sure though!
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Justin

I'm not sure about anything new, but I was there about 3 years ago. There are a few campsites that are a very short distance away from the parking area, a few of which are handicap accessible, and several others along the main trail.
I'm pretty sure there is a barricade preventing you from driving the extra 100 yards or so to the lake.

Perhaps they added something new closer to the Parking area, or maybe just a few other campsites along the main trail.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Simon1
Woodsandwater

The sites that DEC referred to are in the easily accessible campsites on the North end of the lake. DEC has gone around the lake and designated other campsites that are only accessible by boat. Here's the link: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9199.html
Old 04-16-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
dpc34

anybody know if the ice is out on thirteenth lake yet....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
I was there today. We did not walk down to the water's edge (big snowbank and bum ankle don't mix) but we did see open water through the trees.

As for answering my own question...I saw no new sites along the road...pretty much what I remembered from years past. The DEC must have meant they made the existing sites more accessible...or that webpage is very old.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Bob K

13th Lake N end sites

Access is from the N end parking area, but you can not drive to any of the camping sites. Only a 50-75 yards (meters) walk however. Only a semi-wilderness feel to this lake due to some shoreline private ownership (Garnet Hill Lodge & association with many residents) and multiple accessible campsites.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Simon1
Woodsandwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
13th is open...pretty much everything is open now.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Steve 700

Identification of mountain at Thirteenth Lake

Can anyone identify the mountain in the attachment, taken at Thirteenth Lake?

Is it Thirteenth Lake Mountain?
Steve 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Kevin
**BANNED**

We finally got to spend some time there. It's a heavily used area and a few of the campers were inexperienced (rude, noisey, drunk, etc)... but even the worse of them was the average camp ground caliber camper, so we managed to eek out a nice couple nights.

I did Peaked Mountain while there. Very awesome hike!

http://www.adkhike.com/2009.htm#PeakedMt1
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #11
Steve 700

[See post above.]

*BUMP*
Steve 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 700 View Post

[See post above.]

*BUMP*
If that pic was taken on the eastern shore of Thirteenth Lake (looking west) I would say the mountain on the right is Little Thirteenth Lake Mountain. The one on the left is un-named on my map.