Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Lean-to Spread Sheet

One of my (long term) hiking goals that I've set for myself is to spend a night in every single lean-to in the Adirondacks and the Catskills. In order to track my progress towards this goal, I put together a simple spread sheet that lists every lean-to in both parks, using the NGS Adirondack Maps and the NYNJTC Catskill Maps. I figured others on this message board would be interested in the file, so I'm posting it here for people to download.

It's pretty simple... you can either use the page that has all the lean-tos listed in alphabetical order, or the page that lists them by the management unit in which they reside. If you put an "x" in the last column next to each lean-to you've stayed in, it will add them all up at the bottom and give you a total as well as a percentage of all of the lean-tos.

I'm pretty sure that there's a few that I left off, so if you find any I haven't included feel free to let me know and I'll update the list. Same goes for any that I've included that no longer exist... I also included all of the publicly accessible lean-tos on Paul Smith's College property, if you know of any lean-tos that are on private land but publicly accessible, feel free to mention them. Currently, I've got 258 lean-tos on the list.

I know that staying in every single lean-to is a pretty ambitious goal, but I'm up to 58 lean-tos over the course of the last 3 years, just over 1/5th of the total. At this rate, I'll be done within 12 years, although I expect it will probably take a bit longer than that.

Anyways, hope that someone else enjoys the spreadsheet...

ATTACHMENT REMOVED, NEW SPREADSHEET LOCATED HERE

Last edited by DSettahr; 10-26-2009 at 05:15 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
ADK88
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
One of my (long term) hiking goals that I've set for myself is to spend a night in every single lean-to in the Adirondacks and the Catskills. In order to track my progress towards this goal, I put together a simple spread sheet that lists every lean-to in both parks, using the NGS Adirondack Maps and the NYNJTC Catskill Maps. I figured others on this message board would be interested in the file, so I'm posting it here for people to download.

It's pretty simple... you can either use the page that has all the lean-tos listed in alphabetical order, or the page that lists them by the management unit in which they reside. If you put an "x" in the last column next to each lean-to you've stayed in, it will add them all up at the bottom and give you a total as well as a percentage of all of the lean-tos.

I'm pretty sure that there's a few that I left off, so if you find any I haven't included feel free to let me know and I'll update the list. Same goes for any that I've included that no longer exist... I also included all of the publicly accessible lean-tos on Paul Smith's College property, if you know of any lean-tos that are on private land but publicly accessible, feel free to mention them. Currently, I've got 258 lean-tos on the list.

I know that staying in every single lean-to is a pretty ambitious goal, but I'm up to 58 lean-tos over the course of the last 3 years, just over 1/5th of the total. At this rate, I'll be done within 12 years, although I expect it will probably take a bit longer than that.

Anyways, hope that someone else enjoys the spreadsheet...
Thanks a bunch for this. I've never thought of doing that, but it's an excellent idea. I will save the spreadsheet and probably embark on this in the future. Do I hear a new patch coming, the "ADK Lean-to 231" ??
Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Hollywood
hollywood

Great idea, I didn't know that most of these places actually had names.....do the one's along the Raquette River between Long Lake and Tupper Lake count?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
adkfun

I believe you left out a new lean to that was constructed at Hour Pond.
adkfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Bob K

Great Job!

I had fun looking through these - great way to spend part of a sick day. I added a column to indicate those I've seen (boating, hiking or skiing) separate from those I have stayed overnight in.

With a non-exhaustive search, I think there might be a few I didn't see on your list, although sometimes places can go by different names. I've stayed at Eagle Lake LT (extreme N E corner) near the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, and seen Stony Pond LT (near Minerva), and the newly built Henderson Lake LT by Upper Works.

One possible deletion - Unless it has been rebuilt, the Salmon Lake LT in the 5 ponds wilderness was not there in 2004. I camped at the former site with a fireplace but no LT.

I'm sure others will jump in on this!
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
colden46

I didn't see Calkins Creek (the one on the Cold R.) or Bradley Pond (which is called "Santanoni" on the TrailsIllustrated map for some reason, but I didn't see it on the list under either name). There's also a LT on Forked Lake which the TI map doesn't show.

As Bob K said, there's no longer a LT at Salmon Lake in the Five Ponds; it burned down a few years ago and hasn't been replaced. Probably won't be either, based on my understanding of the Five Ponds UMP.

Thanks for the list!
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Bob K

I assumed the Calkins Creek (stayed there) was included as Cold River # 1 or 2. I see #3 & 4 shown on my map, but no #1 or 2.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
colden46

Cold R. #1 and 2 are up by Duck Hole, near where the NPT hits the Ward Brook Truck Trail. They're ironically nowhere near Cold R. 3 & 4, but they are labeled on my copy of the TI map.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
WllrPnd

After looking through the list I can't help but notice that (I beleive) some of those sites are day use only. Black Pond and Church Pond in the Paul Smith's area for an example. Am I mistaken?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Cool idea.
I'm going to update my version to differentiate between Eastern and Western High Peaks...no campfire vs campfire
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
dke1924

Pretty cool.

Funny you should post on leantos. I have been meaning to post a question. When I was a kid we went on an overnight excursion from Camp Massawepie Boy Scout camp to Ampersand Mt. I seem to remember staying in a lean to just below the summit. I didn't see it on the list or on the USGS Topo map. This was 20 years ago, so I may not be remembering it correctly. Anyone know if there is/was a lean to on Ampersand?
For me and for thousands with similar inclinations, the most important passion of life is the overpowering desire to escape periodically from the clutches of a mechanistic civilization. To us the enjoyment of solitude, complete independence, and the beauty of undefiled panoramas is absolutely essential to happiness.- Bob Marshall
dke1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #12
ADK88
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dke1924 View Post
Pretty cool.

Funny you should post on leantos. I have been meaning to post a question. When I was a kid we went on an overnight excursion from Camp Massawepie Boy Scout camp to Ampersand Mt. I seem to remember staying in a lean to just below the summit. I didn't see it on the list or on the USGS Topo map. This was 20 years ago, so I may not be remembering it correctly. Anyone know if there is/was a lean to on Ampersand?
There is no lean to on Ampersand, and hasn't been for at least 5 years. I have no idea if there was one before then.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
eghaley
46er #1441

ADK Leanto goal

What a great idea. I like it! Couple that with sending in a leanto report for those that have recently been abused.

Speaking of leanto abuse, I used to ream out many of my students who traveled with me in the ADKs and stayed in the leantos overnight during our climbs or long treks. Some of them tried to carve their initials onto the logs inside the structure as a way of making their "sign." Oh, I used to get so mad. In my mind I was still in the "Leave No Trace" regimen from the NOLS etiquette.

Fast forward 35 years as I now limp into a leanto after a "long trek of 10 miles" I can still read some of those carvings. Oh, what nostalgia rises to my being. After relishing in the long-ago memories, I thought maybe I should have let them "sign in." But I know I did the right thing then.

I wish you the best a few years of planning and hiking. Keep those diaries of every trekking day. You'll appreciate it later - Trust Me!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #14
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Great idea, I didn't know that most of these places actually had names.....do the one's along the Raquette River between Long Lake and Tupper Lake count?
Yes, I've included all of them.... the Trombley Landing lean-tos, Stony Creek, Hemlock Hill, Raquette Falls #1 and #2, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkfun View Post
I believe you left out a new lean to that was constructed at Hour Pond.
Which management area is this in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
One possible deletion - Unless it has been rebuilt, the Salmon Lake LT in the 5 ponds wilderness was not there in 2004. I camped at the former site with a fireplace but no LT.
I will update the list and repost the spreadsheet after I've included all the other updates that people give me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden46 View Post
I didn't see Calkins Creek (the one on the Cold R.) or Bradley Pond (which is called "Santanoni" on the TrailsIllustrated map for some reason, but I didn't see it on the list under either name). There's also a LT on Forked Lake which the TI map doesn't show.
You are correct on both counts, they will be included in the updated version. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I assumed the Calkins Creek (stayed there) was included as Cold River # 1 or 2. I see #3 & 4 shown on my map, but no #1 or 2.
He's referring to the one where Calkins Creek emptys into the cold river. It's accessible only by boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WllrPnd View Post
After looking through the list I can't help but notice that (I beleive) some of those sites are day use only. Black Pond and Church Pond in the Paul Smith's area for an example. Am I mistaken?
You are correct that the VIC is technically day use only. However, two of these three lean-tos are shown on the NGS map, and all three receive a fair amount of overnight use. I decided to include them for completeness. I might contact the VIC to ask for an official response concerning camping at these three spots and then update the list according to what they say. There are 24 lean-tos (that I know of, probably several more) on Paul Smith's College Property, and sometimes it is hard to figure out which ones are open to use by the public.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by eghaley View Post
What a great idea. I like it! Couple that with sending in a leanto report for those that have recently been abused.

Speaking of leanto abuse, I used to ream out many of my students who traveled with me in the ADKs and stayed in the leantos overnight during our climbs or long treks. Some of them tried to carve their initials onto the logs inside the structure as a way of making their "sign." Oh, I used to get so mad. In my mind I was still in the "Leave No Trace" regimen from the NOLS etiquette.

Fast forward 35 years as I now limp into a leanto after a "long trek of 10 miles" I can still read some of those carvings. Oh, what nostalgia rises to my being. After relishing in the long-ago memories, I thought maybe I should have let them "sign in." But I know I did the right thing then.

I wish you the best a few years of planning and hiking. Keep those diaries of every trekking day. You'll appreciate it later - Trust Me!
There was recently a discussion about this on WB.net. It seemed rather split between whether it was "ok" to carve ones name into the leanto. My guess is those that were arguing in the affirmative were those who had done it and seemed to be trying to find a way to justify it. Or I am full of it.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #16
Justin

DSettahr,
Thanks for sharing your lean-to goal spread sheet!
I think that's a pretty cool idea too, although I usally do my best to avoid lean-tos.
Good luck to you!

Hopefully I'll run into you again someday, and maybe get the chance to share one of those lean-tos with ya!

As for writing in a lean-to...
I've been guilty of using the (easily removable) chard remains from the fire pit before!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (53.8 KB, 612 views)

Last edited by Justin; 12-05-2008 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Get Up!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #17
RC
Woods Runner

after almost 30 years of hiking I'm almost done..I've stayed in 5
Old 12-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Which management area is this in?
Siamese Ponds Wilderness. It's just west of Thirteenth Lake. There's also a new trail connecting the Peaked Mt Pond trail to the Hour Pd trail, so you can directly get to Hour Pond from the parking area at the north end of Thirteenth Lake.

Here's some info from a few months back: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=8560
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
Justin

AHH!

...I miss that up to date insight!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #20
eghaley
46er #1441

Cowhorn Pond Leanto

There's a lovely leanto on Cowhorn Pond in the Cranberry Lake area (44.0923N 74.8513W). It used to come provided with cast iron skillets hanging on the outside of the leanto. The last time I was there we had a rainstorm to beat the band. Upon clearing, the sky was filled with green and purple clouds. Awesome.