Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
AdirondackBadger

Question Colvin Range Questions

Going to be doing an overnight in the Colvin RAnge this summer and had a few questions:

-Is there a viable water source if I bring a filter? If not, how much water would you recommend for each person?

-Where do you park? I had read something about a DEC parking lot??

-Is it correct that you can have a campfire in this area/at the campsite?
-Any fishing?

-I have basically only done day hikes however have read many logs of hikers making camp and leaving some gear there while bagging a few peaks. Have you ever done this? I feel like I would be too worried about someone walking off with my stuff while I was gone.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
AdirondackBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Kyler
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdirondackBadger View Post
-Is there a viable water source if I bring a filter? If not, how much water would you recommend for each person?
There are two campsites along Gill Brook that have close access to the brook to pump water. Elk Pass is another campsite option (but may be out of the way depending on itinerary) which has two small ponds and brook access.

Quote:
-Where do you park? I had read something about a DEC parking lot??
There is a parking area on Rt 73, which is at the edge of the Ausable Club property. The Roaring Brook parking area is directly across the road as well.

Quote:
-Is it correct that you can have a campfire in this area/at the campsite?
-Any fishing?
Campfires are not allowed in this area. I don't think any of the brooks have fishing that would be worth the effort. There is no fishing on Ausable Club property.

Quote:
-I have basically only done day hikes however have read many logs of hikers making camp and leaving some gear there while bagging a few peaks. Have you ever done this? I feel like I would be too worried about someone walking off with my stuff while I was gone.
I've done this many times in the High Peaks without issue. However, there have been incidents of people having things stolen from campsites. This is not common, and as far as I know mainly has happened at the highly popular camping areas.

Quote:
Any other tips would be appreciated.
Bear canisters are required for food garbage storage for overnight trips. They can be rented from The Mountaineer, EMS, or ADK.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out our sister forum dedicated to hiking in the High Peaks: http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
TCD

Correction - the campsites along Gill Brook are in the Dix Mountain Wilderness, not in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/33889.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/dix2.pdf

The "no campfires" and "bear canisters" rules only apply in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness. They may be good ideas for any area, but these regs only currently apply in the Eastern High Peaks.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Bucknut
46er #7721

Road to Gill Brook:You want to grab the 1st campsite on the left. As you are heading up Gill Brook you will pass the AMR boundary sign. The campsite is located 25 yards past the sign.
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
dundee

You could also (*GASP*) go fireless.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
Biji

I spent a night in there last July. The Gill Brook Cut-off Trail is a little longer but easier walking with a full pack, just not as scenic. The first campsite Bucknut mentioned is just past the Cut-off junction, and is the nicest I think. There is another site on the right shortly past there; that's where I stayed because the first was occupied. Water is easily gotten from Gill Brook. The third site is closer to the Colvin/Elk Pass trail junction; I didn't check it out as it was occupied but water did not appear to be close at hand. I never liked the looks of the Elk Pass site as it struck me as damp, buggy, and the pond didn't look like a salubrious source of drinking water.

Fires are allowed here as TCD points out. The site I stayed in had plenty of wood strewn around the fire pit, but I didn't indulge. Bear cans are not required here as in the High Peaks but I think using one is good practice.

Be sure to sign in at the AMR register, read, and follow their regulations. Failure to obey them could result in a fine. The rules are restrictive but the price of admission to cross private land. Keep an eye on the golfers when you pass the course. There's a sign on the tee box telling them to wait for pedestrians to clear but they don't; I almost got hit once with a line drive slice and the guy never called "fore."

I hiked in late in the afternoon, set up camp, and went out to Fish Hawk Cliffs and Indian Head to catch the sunset. Highly recommended spots to visit. I climbed Colvin & Blake the next day, but broke down camp and stashed the gear after breakfast to leave the site open; it was occupied when I came back.

As for having your gear grow legs, it's never happened to me but it does happen. Many years ago my brother and I were sitting on top of Marcy in May - amazingly we had the summit to ourselves - when two hikers came up and asked which one of us was Blake Fulton. My brother said "I am, but why do you want to know and how did you know my name?" The said "we passed your campsite and everything has your name on it."

Hope this is useful and welcome to the Forum. Good Hiking!
Biji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colvin, overnight, tips, water