Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Adk_kev

Splitboarding

Hi all,

I know its still summer, but at this point in the year I really can't help but start to think about the snow. I am interested in splitboarding in the Adirondacks this season and was just wondering if anyone here has any experience and or knowledge on the subject. Also, if anyone is looking for a partner, or knows of any groups that get out together, that would be awesome! I know to not go it alone.

Thanks!
Adk_kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Question from a dumb two-planker... what's a splitboard?
Old 08-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
Terasec

Splitboard, with both halves connected
A splitboard is a snowboard that can be separated into two ski-like parts used with climbing skins to ascend slopes the same way alpine touring or telemark skis are. The two halves can then be connected to form a regular snowboard for descent.[1][2]

I had to look it up
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr kev,
I'm an XC, alpine, and BC skier...by far my favorite is BC skiing.
I've gone out with some boarders that used snowshoes for the up, which is slow for them, but does work. A split board with good skins would definitely be better. What I have noticed as that boarders are at a disadvantage on the way down, particularly in undulating terrain. If your split board can quickly detach that would help for sure, but you might still have trouble switching to a herringbone to clear a rise.

But enough about equipment. I have skied quite a few ADK slides, and I think the concept is way better than the experience. You need perfect timing, as the open slides become wind slabbed and/or sun crusted quickly, or even avalanche. Back country tree skiing (or riding) is far better, IMHO.
PM me if you wish...
Old 08-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Adk_kev

Thanks for the info! I will shoot you a message.

-Kev
Old 08-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
TCD

Stripperguy is right on. I too have been BC skiing for a long time. Skin or scale up, telemark down (long time, probably 20+ years on only telemark; I have not gotten into AT).

My wile and I ski the trees mostly. Sweet fun. Slides are only for spring, when they corn up and I feel safer from avy. We both have Ski Patrol level 2 avy training, probes shovels, etc. But I don't want to have to use that knowledge.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #7
OntarioSkiBum

When tree skiing, would you typically stick to lower elevations and stick to hardwood forests? What sort of vertical drops are the norm. How is tree spacing?
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

OSB,
My favorite spot has open hardwoods and 800 vertical. On a really good day, I can manage 5 loops. But I'm getting kinda old... There a spot where my buddies and I would do a car shuttle, getting 300 ft of open slope for each run. That spot has a 4 season dirt road across the top, and a main road at the bottom. BTW, driving with ski boots, even though they're AT boots, is still pretty tricky!
Tree spacing runs the gamut from wide 10 ft spacing to tight second growth stuff where you can barely push through. I avoid any evergreens.
Back country tree skiing is by far my favorite, but it's far removed from glade skiing at lift serves areas. Even great spots like Jay ski differently than true back country.
When you have absolutely no tracks to follow, you really need to be aware of terrain undulations and hidden deadfall and snags. It's best to scout an area before the snow falls. Often, I stick to drainages as they tend to have less deadfalls and are the most consistent pitch.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #9
OntarioSkiBum

That sounds pretty cool. Here in Niagara we don't get enough snow for BC skiing... and in this quasi-maritime microclimate whatever we get usually doesn't stay around to accumulate. Being on the western side of Lake Ontario we rarely see any lake effect events.

Not only that, but the only respectable slope is the Niagara escarpment which is maybe 250-300ft vert... mostly on private property. I've scouted it on a good snow year along the Bruce Trail and the coverage wasn't even close to cover the deadfall... And that's what you can see. It's what you can't see that's most scary!
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #10
yardsale

Quite a drive for you folks, but there is an exciting option developing here in Vermont which involves cutting glades on national forest land supervised by professional foresters to assure the health of the forest while providing great glade skiing. Here is one organization http://www.rastavt.org/ involved. Closer to you, there are several 300 vert glades on the East side of the Tug Plateau. Good for early lake affect skiing.

TCD, my wife and I also skied bc for 20 years or so before discovering AT gear and parallel turn about 7 years ago. The turns are easier and more effective, the gear is lighter and safer and has been a great choice for us as we get older! Around here we sometimes still ski on tele gear but 90% of our turns are parallel.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
TCD

Cool info. There is a fledgling effort to do the same thing regarding glades in the Adirondacks

http://www.adkpowderskier.com/

I've been skiing for almost 50 years, and I spent 25 on parallel skis before switching to tele for variety and challenge. I'm still enjoying tele for the fun, but I've looked at AT and may eventually switch back to locking down the heel...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
BlackRock

You should consider what stripperguy mentioned about the limitations of a board in rolling terrain. I snowboarded for 6 or 7 years, but never ended up with a split board. In the BC, it wasn't slogging the board uphill on snowshoes that bothered me so much, but post-holing on flats and rolling terrain on the way out, which you will run into on many ADK approaches. I eventually switched over to telemark so I could pursue the BC without some of those frustrations (although telemark admittedly has its own limitations). I now live in Alaska, and have spent plenty of time waiting on the skin track and in the trees for my split-boarding counterparts, and have stood by while they throw fits over frustratingly long flats which can be easily covered on skis.

If you have any experience or interest in skiing, you might consider looking into an A/T setup. They are lighter, more efficient and versatile, and will allow you to enjoy the up and downhill without having to transition so much, or posthole at all.

But, if you want to be really stinking awesome, and have more fun than anyone else, you should just get into telemarking.

Another suggestion would be to get an uphill pass at whiteface, if you are nearby. If you show up a couple hours before the lifts turn, you can skin up along with the dawn patrol crew there, and make some connections and gather intel. Its a great forum for getting into the sport. ADKers are more likely to show you their spots than to tell you where they are. If you get to know a couple at the mtn, you will be golden.
BlackRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #13
Adk_kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRock View Post
You should consider what stripperguy mentioned about the limitations of a board in rolling terrain. I snowboarded for 6 or 7 years, but never ended up with a split board. In the BC, it wasn't slogging the board uphill on snowshoes that bothered me so much, but post-holing on flats and rolling terrain on the way out, which you will run into on many ADK approaches. I eventually switched over to telemark so I could pursue the BC without some of those frustrations (although telemark admittedly has its own limitations). I now live in Alaska, and have spent plenty of time waiting on the skin track and in the trees for my split-boarding counterparts, and have stood by while they throw fits over frustratingly long flats which can be easily covered on skis.

If you have any experience or interest in skiing, you might consider looking into an A/T setup. They are lighter, more efficient and versatile, and will allow you to enjoy the up and downhill without having to transition so much, or posthole at all.

But, if you want to be really stinking awesome, and have more fun than anyone else, you should just get into telemarking.

Another suggestion would be to get an uphill pass at whiteface, if you are nearby. If you show up a couple hours before the lifts turn, you can skin up along with the dawn patrol crew there, and make some connections and gather intel. Its a great forum for getting into the sport. ADKers are more likely to show you their spots than to tell you where they are. If you get to know a couple at the mtn, you will be golden.
Good call! Definitely going to look into snagging an uphill pass for this season. I think that'll be my best bet as far as meeting fellow split boarders goes. As far as skis go, maybe I will give it a try this year. However, I have not been on a pair of skis since I was probably 14!