Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
krister_W

Anyone know about the Boreas Ponds paddle?

Is it open? How far from the put-in do you park the car? Are there campsites on the ponds. Hoping to check it out next weekend.
krister_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Answers to your questions can be found on the NYSDEC website, I believe a new huge ADA lean-to is being built next weekend where the old lodge used to be, which to my knowledge is/will be the only designated campsite for at least the time being...
https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/107504.html
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

I’m surprised the DEC doesn’t mention anything about the new “Frontier Town Campground”... I had thought more tourism in the area was the agenda behind much of this...

Quote:
No tent sites have been designated [on the Boreas Ponds Tract]...

Campers who desire more amenities may camp at the nearby Lake Harris Campground or Sharp Bridge Campground and take day trips into the Boreas Ponds.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Lucky13

The last I heard from friends in the Agency, all communications with the public have to be cleared through a central office of communications, and that adds over a month to any simple announcement. When that message was generated, they may not have been sure that Frontier Town would be completed.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
electbc
Outdoorsman

So it looks like if you put in at LaBier Flow it will cut 1/4 mile of carry. You may unload closer to LaBier and then park in the lot. That is my understanding anyway.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Having seen the carry trail between LaBier Flow and the dam, I would be inclined to skip the Flow and wheel the entire distance. It's an easy roll, or at least it was, before the road was "improved".
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #7
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Having seen the carry trail between LaBier Flow and the dam, I would be inclined to skip the Flow and wheel the entire distance. It's an easy roll, or at least it was, before the road was "improved".
People were doing just that when we were there recently. We asked why and they said it wasn't worth it to put in, paddle a bit, take out and carry.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Agreed. A couple years ago of group of us carted (& carried) around Le Beir Flow while one of us paddled. We were all waiting for the paddler at the other end.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #9
Pat T
aka "Mother Nature"

One mile carry to Boreas Ponds

The one mile carry from the closest parking lot to the put in on the Boreas Ponds was not difficult. We were there just over a week ago. The rocks in the roadway were only a minor annoyance. One person in our party had her kayak on a carrier. We had two Hornbecks on top of a wagon. We kind of tied the canoes together. It was definitely not a difficult carry. Put in is pretty good -- not mucky.

The views from the ponds are beyond spectacular. We were there on a very, very clear day and with binoculars I could see people on top of Marcy.
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #10
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I’m surprised the DEC doesn’t mention anything about the new “Frontier Town Campground”... I had thought more tourism in the area was the agenda behind much of this...
Has anyone toured the Frontier Town Campsite? The place looks like it is made out of styrofoam and recycled plastic. I would rather stay at Fish Creek on July 4th. I'm not sure who they were thinking would be attracted to this place.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Has anyone toured the Frontier Town Campsite? The place looks like it is made out of styrofoam and recycled plastic. I would rather stay at Fish Creek on July 4th. I'm not sure who they were thinking would be attracted to this place.
It's been fairly popular with the RV/camper trailer crowd, due to the electric hook ups (which DEC campgrounds typically don't have). But from what I've seen, they've had difficulty filling the tent-only sites.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:43 PM   #12
peskypup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
I thought it looked pretty nice. The pavilions and playgrounds are a nice touch for those with families. The thing that annoyed me most was the trail that runs behind almost every campsite. Not that public campgrounds are great for privacy anyway, but here even the ones with good privacy between sites still had a multi-use trail 10 feet or less behind them in the woods.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:27 AM   #13
Buckladd

The Frontier Town Campground is nice, but other than the Schroon River, there is no water to explore from it, but plenty around, now including Boreas. It's set up excellent for equestrians and the tent sites, even though they're not electric, could handle smaller RVs. I think they'd get more reservations if at least some of those were not tent only. I also think that once more trails are open you'll see more equestrian use.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #14
MTVhike

The ranger I ran into on labor day weekend told me that the ADA parking area will have 2 handicapped-only and 4 permitted parking spots. You get the permits at the Frontier town office.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
MTVhike

Keelin and I just finished a paddle around the ponds in our 85lb Mad River canoe and it was very enjoyable. We got to the (almost full) parking lot at about Noon. Decided to do the LaBier Flow paddle, so we moved the car down to the unloading area, unloaded, and moved the car back to the PA. I drove around the PA for awhile looking for a legal parking space. All the empty ones were handicapped only and there was a large stretch along one side which were for trailers (only?). The handicapped spots were empty, but the trailer spots had cars or trucks without trailers, so I decided to be another scofflaw. Right next to the put-in spot there is a bouldered-off flat area which would make a good PA for those doing the LaBier Flow. I digress..
It was a short but enjoyable paddle up LaBier flow to the takeout; we then carried our canoe up to the road. I had just purchased a canoe cart; this was it maiden voyage. Put the canoe on it and strapped it down, we proceeded to the main pond at its dam. This took 45 minutes (4-corners parking lot to dam).
It was now 1:30. We paddled, along with a half dozen other paddlers, away from the dam and up to Second Pond, where we stopped for lunch. Didn't find a good place to land but just sitting in the boat in the shade while eating was good. Watched a few others go by.
After lunch, we continued up to 3rd Pond, where we rendezvoused with some friends who we knew would be there. We then went all the way up to the inlet, where the Boreas River goes through a culvert under Moose Mt. Road. Met a couple of people who had gone farther as they were carrying their boats back over the road; they said it was very difficult and not worth it.
We then decided to paddle back to the put in at the dam and wheel our boat all the way to the 4 Corners PA; getting there at 4:00. It was much easier than the paddle, but I think I might do the paddle on the way in just to get started.

I recently purchased a book by Alex Kent which describes this area with excruciating detail, including a whole appendix full of detailed maps. I think I got it at the Mountaineer. (alexkent.info)
Old 10-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #16
TrailBlaser

So what's the consensus on the best place to camp for a night when doing the flow?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
So what's the consensus on the best place to camp for a night when doing the flow?
I’m not sure about the flow but the new lean-to at Boreas Ponds was just completed last weekend in the large clearing where the old lodge used to be. There’s also a hidden campsite near the remains of an old camp if you can find it.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #18
TrailBlaser

Thanks Justin. I'll have to find that campsite or another spot as a clearing won't work for the hammock. I haven't checked the DEC lit on the area yet to figure out other options (if there are any). Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Last year I found several (illegal) makeshift campsites scattered around, I can only imagine what’s happened since then... Boreas Ponds Revisit
Old 10-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
MTVhike

Alex Kent's book suggest several locations for "at large" camping. Since there are no official trails around the Ponds, I don't know if you have to be 150 feet from one of the abandoned logging roads. I've not yet walked those roads yet, but if you paddle to the far end to the culvert under Moose Mountain road, you could take out there and walk either way along that road searching for a suitable camping spot. Or, you could camp near the location of the former lodge.

Tags
boreas ponds tract