T.R. Mountain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.R. Mountain?

There is an un-named peak south of Phelps mountain and west of Tabletop. MS Streets & Trips labels this T.R. mountain. In Topozone, this peak does not have a name.

Any idea how/when this mountain got a name?
    My hiking blog

I believe it was in 1999. I'll try to find the article. I was just reading about it last week.

From DEC's website.

link
    Last edited by lumberzac; 05-27-2004, 08:28 AM. Reason: Add link to article
    A man needs to believe in something. I believe I'll go hiking.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac

Comment

Tr

FYI - the new ADK map from the 13th ed. of the High Peaks guide has it listed as TR - I think 1999 sounds about right, so some topo software programs might not have it listed as such.

Bhoody

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is named after Teddy Roosevelt who was very involved with the history of the High Peaks and especially Marcy which is right next to TR peak.
        I'm not a Hippie, just a well groomed Mountain Man.

Comment

The summit is probably in the trees too right? Or does it have an open face?

ADAM

Comment

T.r.

Pretty much all of what has been posted is correct. I've heard a few things about it as part of another group I'm part of. No, It is not an open summit from my understanding and views are limited. I've also heard it's a half hour cake bushwhack from the VanHo trail near Indian Falls up to the summit.

Here is a TOPO MAP of the area. The "X" marks the summit.
            "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It makes you stronger. " Supreme Chancellor

Comment

"TR Mt., formally unnamed (Indian Falls).
              Located to the Northwest of Indian Falls.; In 1999 this peak was named in honor of the Centennial of Theodore Roosevelts tenure as Governor of New York State."

From the 12th edition ADK High Peaks Guide, page 295 (Appendix II)
              "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Thank you all for the info. I don't plan on hiking up T.R. mountain ... was just curious.
                My hiking blog

Comment

TR became President in the ADKs. McKinley was shot while TR was at Lake Tear. TR was rushing back to civilization when he died. I believe TR was somewhere near Newcomb when he died.

peace
                  Oysterhead

Comment

There's a monument on the side of Rt 28 between Newcomb and North Creek that marks the approximate location where TR was notified that he was the president of the US.
                    I'm not a Hippie, just a well groomed Mountain Man.

Comment

The herd path starts at the same spot as the Table Top mt. Herd path, on the opposite side of the trail.

Mike
                      Though we rush ahead
                      To save our time
                      We are only what we feel.

Neil Young

Comment

Working...
                      X