Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
Creekwader
Snag Locator

2017 ADK Landlocked thread

Finally got out after the landlockeds today. Conditions weren't the best, east wind but it was well overcast and there were some fish around. Going for the state record fallfish, coming close. Fish were tight lipped but managed to get into a couple decent ones. More to come. Found some nice oyster mushrooms both here an in lake george area. Even included a hint for fly selection...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EFZVJPpuyAnGx7g52
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
wildbrookies

Yes,it was a tough day today weatherize ,but you got out and caught some very nice salmon!! Did you use that good looking streamer fly for the landlocks?
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Thatís one of my better trolling flies but casting was the way to go today! 😉
Old 11-06-2017, 12:25 AM   #4
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Nice!!!

This is the year I catch one of those things, even if I have to dive underwater and catch it in my teeth.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
Creekwader
Snag Locator

I would pay a large sum of money to watch that happen
Old 11-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
wildbrookies

CW/VT-
I would love to also! But, the diving underwater thing might not happen for me anyway. :roll eyes: I have never hooked one of these gorgeous and acrobatic fish on a fly rod. So, hoping to give it a try this year.

CW- Any info. you can share on what stream flies LL Salmon might be interested in this time of year! I know you troll for them ,but do you stream fish for them also? Also, can you PM me a few rivers that might be worth a try . I live in the Saratoga area so closer the better being that it would have to be a day trip. Thanks for any info.!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
I would pay a large sum of money to watch that happen
When do you want to go?
Old 11-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
CW/VT-
I would love to also! But, the diving underwater thing might not happen for me anyway. :roll eyes: I have never hooked one of these gorgeous and acrobatic fish on a fly rod. So, hoping to give it a try this year.

CW- Any info. you can share on what stream flies LL Salmon might be interested in this time of year! I know you troll for them ,but do you stream fish for them also? Also, can you PM me a few rivers that might be worth a try . I live in the Saratoga area so closer the better being that it would have to be a day trip. Thanks for any info.!

WB

I think this fishery is underutilized. And you know how it goes, if enough people aren't invested in this fishery it could be cut in the future. So here's a primer for landlocked salmon fishing in Adirondack lakes. I've never fished the Champlain tribs so I have nothing meaningful to say about those.

Fall Fishing: Fish move from deep open water into more accessible locations for the fly fisher. These fish will always be near deep water but start to frequent areas near creek mouths, dams and points/islands. I'm not sure why but sand beaches are also popular with salmon. Always fish with the wind, wind pushing into any of these spots. Fish will run any sizable tributary based on flow, cloud cover and spawning urgency but they will quickly leave if they don't find cover to their liking. October 15 limits the opportunities to fish for salmon in streams but some years that are cool and rainy can provide good trib fishing and back in the day I used to get fish in tribs as early as labor day. I don't want to side track this with climate change debate but over the past decade or so I've noticed the fall run getting later and later, often stretching well into December even in the central adirondacks. This year seems to be no exception to this trend, fish are just starting to show up.

Gear: A 9 ft. 5-6 wt rod is plenty for these fish. The extra length of a 9.5-10 ft rod will help for long casts on the lakes. A long leader out on the lakes is appropriate but these fish aren't especially line shy so I usually run a 10 ft with 2x-3x tippet. Trolling should be a longer leader and can be untapered. For casting on the lakes, I use a full floating line although a sink tip would be fine.

Flies: In the fall, I always use something with orange in it for salmon. Most hardware trollers will tell you that an orange mooselook or rapala is their best fall salmon lure and flies are no different. For trolling-a simple orange/white bucktail will usually do the trick, tied on a 10xl Mike Martinek Gaelic supreme hook. This is the best trolling hook for both appearance and performance. The old mustad 94720 is too flexible and the partridge hooks are too heavy with a poor bend design. For casting, typical trout flies will all work fine. Woolly buggers, hares ear, picket pins, muddler minnows, etc will all work. I add hot orange through bead heads, thread or body wrap. My favorite though is a combination clouser minnow/crazy charlie tied with orange/white calftail and white dumbell eyes.

Tactics: Casting the lakes involves casting into likely holding areas and a slow retrieve punctuated with long pauses. Skittish near shore salmon will follow a fly and then slash it when it falls. Use the floating line as a strike indicator. Trolling is straight forward just let out the entire sinking flyline behind the boat and sporadically give it a jerk. The real dirty trick for salmon (and rainbows) is to put a fly about 15 feet behind the boat at the very end of the prop wash tailout. For this I use a floating line and a large bright streamer. Skid the fly across the surface like a caddis fly and hold on, the strikes are vicious. I often use 1x for this. Sounds crazy but it works. Cloudy days with a light west wind are usually best. If its bright and sunny I usually don't bother unless its cold/late season and there is a light breeze.

Where to go: The state publishes the best LLS lakes and the stocking lists so I'll leave that to discovery. I've never done this but I was in Lake George saturday and with the wind pushing into the beach in town it looked awfully tempting and it looked like there was a guy out there trolling in a canoe. From a mountain high above a lake I saw people trolling off montcalm point and dome island. I've caught salmon in many other stocked lakes in the park so really any lake that gets fish from DEC is worth a look this time of year.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Nice tutorial, CW! Kudos. I may need to enlist you as a mentor on this one...
Old 11-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Ecurb

Wow! Great fish! I think Iíll try and go hunt for one this weekend. Reading the DEC website now is giving me a few ideas of where to go.
Ecurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #11
EagleCrag

Thanks for sharing Creekwader. Very informative. TY.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #12
trouthunter

I always enjoy your LLS posts in November Creekwader..Thanks for the excellent info!
Old 11-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #13
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Kind of a weird stretch of fishing lately. Salmon seem to be completely turned off, have caught none in the last couple trips even though there are a few around. Luckily, the last trip turned interesting with a couple rainbows and a Brook trout of all things! In a lake that allegedly doesn't contain brook trout. If you look closely you'll see a fin clip so it emigrated from somewhere else. I think I know where, but that's a secret .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9SSPHfUk8DZwjYwg1

EDIT: Added what will probably be the last pic of the season, a real giant! Hit a bunch of spots today (11/27) but struck out in all but one so I think I'm going to put a fork in this salmon season in the north unless there is still open water around Christmas/new years when I'm back up. Extremely disappointing LLS season this year after some real bangers over the past couple years. Fish just don't seem to be around in any numbers. Maybe there was a run during brook trout season that was missed but other than that I have no explanation.

Last edited by Creekwader; 11-27-2017 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: update