Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
NHtroutster

Reflections on the 2017 Trout Season??

Just wondering what the collective opinion of the group is regarding the 2017 trout season in the greater Adirondack region... Personally, I split my fishing time between southeastern Adk trout (mostly in the W. Canada and Black River areas) where I live now, and St. Lawrence bass where I grew up.

On the St. Lawrence--thanks likely in part to the high waters through about August that wreaked havoc on so many properties, including my parents--the fishing season was incredible. The number and size of the smallies was consistently high, and the pike and walleye were pretty decent too. But my experiences with the elusive trout is not as positive. While I must admit that I'm not as versed with the many secret spots/ponds that so often populate threads on this forum, I hit all of the major streams and rivers multiple times this year, and the results are mixed. I had very little luck on the W. Branch of the Ausable, and only nominal success on the Saranac. The W. Canada was great early in the season, but has been abysmal since June. And the most troubling thing I've been finding on both the W. Canada and Black River (the traditional trout section of the Black) is how many small smallies I've been catching. Just hate catching warm water fish in these locations.

As a side bar, my "not so secret" hot spots seemed to be quite a bit busier than they've been over the past few years (especially from non-NYS license plates), and the amount of trash left behind has been downright appalling. I'm not sure whether and to what extent these added pressures have contributed to this downward trend, but I certainly have my opinions. So again, just wondering what the collective opinion is from my esteemed colleagues.

Thanks, NHtroutster
NHtroutster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #2
St.Regis

I think a lot of fish did very well with this summer's cool, wet weather. I also think the extended warmer weather of this fall will help fish stock up on an abundance of food before the winter. If we have an easy to average winter, we could see some really good numbers and sizes of fish next year. I think we will see good times next season!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
NHtroutster

Thanks St. Regis... Assuming that's your neck of the woods, I fished that main stretch below the falls a couple of times too. Marginal success with browns and rainbows, but again, I probably caught twice as many smallies as I did trout. I don't have enough familiarity with that area to know if its normal, but having ventured to a fewer harder to reach spots along the St. Regis, I was ultimately disappointed. I do truly hope you're right!!
NHtroutster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
Cliff House

The brook trout in southwestern Adirondacks were cooperative this year. I noticed I was landing far more on top with the Royal Wulff, and had less luck with the Hornberg this season than most. They really seemed to like the sunken, dragged Wulff fly this year.

Oddly enough, my last afternoon in my last pool, after doing very well all day with a #12 Wulff, the trout were ignoring it and seemed to be sipping at something on the surface. I tied on a #16 BWO emerger and landed two really nice fish in a row. I don’t think I’ve ever tossed anything that dainty at a North Country trout!
Cliff House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I agree with St. R that it's been a benign year for the brookies. Winter looks to be shaping up to be another warm one, likely with a late ice-in. next season could be very good indeed!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
St.Regis

Not to vector too much, but I had a few new waters that I wanted to get on this year. Unfortunately, other things kept me from making it to them. The good news is there will be new waters to explore next year, and hopefully some chunky trout will cooperate when I come to visit.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote