Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
rbi99

Camping spot along trail to Rocky Peak Ridge

I'm aware of the 150' rule, and am wondering if there are any spots along the trail from RT 9 toward RPR where I could set up camp for a a day or two? If I did that my older dog would be able to come with me and my younger dog. There would have to be water available as I couldn't possibly carry enough for me and the dogs. It's about 7 miles to the top, so anything around 3-5 miles would be great.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Festus

That's a very dry trail with no campsites on route until Lake Mary Louise. There is a stream perhaps 10 minutes up the trail from route 9 but no other water as far as I remember...There is a nice campsite coming up Giant from the Roaring Brook Falls parking lot and trail. It's 15 minutes past the top of the falls just before you cross Roaring Brook. It's on the left of the trail and near water, perhaps 30 minutes from your car.
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
Hard Scrabble

Lake Marie Louise is nothing more than a basin that collects rainwater.
It's hard to find a level place to erect anything more than a small tent.
The first running stream is past the summit of Giant on that trail.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
Trail Boss

There's only one designated campsite along that entire route and its one of only two designated sites located at 4000' elevation (the other is Sno-bird in the saddle between Haystack and Basin). It's located about 50 feet south of Lake Marie-Louise in a stand of old birches. The only source of water is the pond and, like Hard Scrabble explained, it's a catch basin and you definitely need to filter/purify this water. I've passed through there a few times and once, during a dry summer, the water looked like motor oil. However, this site a long way from the trailhead (horizontally and especially vertically).

If you choose to primitive camp (below 3500') you'll run into the problem Festus described; it's a dry route. Dickerson Notch is the name of the saddle between Bald Peak and the eastern end of Rocky Peak Ridge. It's about 3.5 miles from the trailhead and filled with beautiful mature birches. It would make a great camping spot (although it's over 2000 feet of ascent to get there). During one trip, I passed a group that planned to camp there but they claimed to have brought all the water they'd needed. If you check the USGS Hydrography map, you'll see this saddle is the top-end of the watershed for Stevens Brook. Maybe, just maybe, if you descend the south side you can find a trickle of water. Maybe!
https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewe...078835&l=15&v=

I know there's a fairly reliable source of water along the trail when you start climbing out of Dickerson Notch and up the 1200 foot eastern face of RPR. However, that's one steep sonavagun of a trail and, unless you have a hammock, there's no place to pitch a tent.

BTW, after posting this I felt I had already done this before ... and indeed I have! Here's your previous post about this trail (and my reply).
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23052

Good luck! I hope it all works out this time!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:08 AM   #5
rbi99

Thanks for the replies. My trip to RPR last year was cut short due to several factors, so I will be doing it this year. I was hoping there was water so that I could have both my dogs with me, but obviously that option is pretty much not there. My littlest pal will be disappointed, but I will make it up to her!!!