Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
tenderfoot

Wolfjaws from JBL area

Thinking of hiking in full pack to the JBL area and setting up camp. Maybe even renting one of the JBL lean-tos. Get an early start next morning for the Wolf Jaws, Armstrong and maybe Gothic. Or possibly reverse since I read that the Gothic cables might be more fun going up than down.

This would be in two weeks, weekend of April 15.

Inquiring what the snow is like down low and up high. I am thinking the route form the Garden to the JBL area is well travelled and might lend itself well to headlamp hiking if we wished to start on Fri rather than Sat.

Any other tips would be most welcome.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
rdl

Latest backcountry condition report from the DEC was 45" of snow at Lake Colden(2764' elevation) and 6' above treeline. So in 2 weeks don't expect that to be drastically reduced, especially with the long range forecast showing no rapid increase in temperature. Also expect north facing slopes to remain hard and icy even with increasing temps. So snowshoes will be necessary, along with microspikes and/or crampons.

Be safe, and have fun.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
tenderfoot

This from the DEC trails page:
"The high water bridge over Slide Mountain Brook on the Phelps Trail between the Garden and Johns Brook Lodge is broken and unusable."

Having not been on that trail yet I am not sure how big an effect this would have. Not sure if brook is currently frozen over or if rock hopping or an alternate route is suggested

Also - very tempting to do Upper Wolfjaw, Armstrong and reach for Gothics - backing out way we came in but I am not convinced rewalking the ridge is any easier than descending via Ore Bed Trail. Going UP the Ore Bed trail looks a bit taxing compared to the Wolf Jaw trail.

Last edited by tenderfoot; 04-04-2017 at 10:51 AM..
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
tenderfoot

Had intended to do this hike with snowshoes and microspikes. A 46r coworker has offered a loan of crampons. So does one hike with all three? Snowshoes are required by regulation. I hiked Algonquin last April with microspikes and we did it but it took longer than maybe needed if we had crampons. But I can't see wearing crampons unless we are dealing with solid ice for extended periods.

Also - snowshoes. Mountaineer rents the MSR's which are nice but I am not guaranteed to get there prior to closing so am picking up Tubbs Wilderness ones fro EMS. I believe the MSR are better for the peaks but are the Tubbs acceptable?

Any thoughts would be most helpful. We are looking at some good weather this weekend - although anticipate some melt