Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
jjones

T Lake Falls ???

I have searched and have found some good information but just checking again... I would like to hike into the bottom of T Lake Falls, I have read there is somewhat of a trail. Has anyone been in lately? Is there a trail all the way? Just trying to get updated. Thanks!
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
Wldrns

You can get there from the trail leading to the top of the falls, but that is not a recommended way to get to the bottom of the falls. From Mountain Home (off Route 8), you can easily bushwhack, basically following the south branch of West Canada Creek. At one time there was that offensive colored plastic flagging tape that someone illegally left tied to trees, but it disappeared after I went through. Getting there couldn't be any easier if you know how to read a map. Eagle Bluff is worth a visit as well while you are there.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
You can get there from the trail leading to the top of the falls, but that is not a recommended way to get to the bottom of the falls.

Airborn? It's the fastest way...

Old climbing joke - rapping is the second fastest way down the cliff...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Probably not one to joke about... you know, given the history...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

jjones,
If I'm not mistaken, your avatar photo looks very similar to one of the camps located on Mountain Home Road... Camp Gray Rocks or something?
My last trip through that area was in '14, and it wasn't too difficult to reach the base of the falls following a couple faint unofficial paths along both sides of the "Creek" beyond where the main trail from Mad Tom Brook comes out to the South Branch, with a little bushwhacking here & there along the way where the foot tread & illegal markings become less obvious. Please feel free to shoot me a pm if you'd care for a few more details.
- Justin

Last edited by Justin; 03-23-2017 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Gray Rocks
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
TCD

Sorry if that appeared unseemly. I am fully aware of the history, and I'm sure Wldrns is aware of it as well. I certainly was not laughing at any of the unfortunate people who made a misstep there!

What was funny was the extremely dry and understated wording "...not a recommended way to get to the bottom of the falls."

The description you usually see is more like: "Don't try to look over the top of the falls - yer gonna die!" or words to that effect. So the dryness of the presentation was what was funny.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #7
Wldrns

It is indeed possible to climb down, staying well away from the slick edge keeping well into the trees (I have done it) , but it is not a very safe way to go and you will soon realize that it is foolish to attempt. At one time there was a very rotted and untrustworthy rope left there by previous fools, maybe even parts of a rusty cable. Again, none of these methods is recommended.
The view from the bottom overlooking the pool of water cascading down is better than trying to peer over the edge from the top. Best way is to approach by following the creek trail/bushwhack all the way at base level.